Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2023 11:41:09 AM EDT
LRF (Laser Rangefinders) are becoming more and more prevalent on thermal scopes because judging distances at night is very difficult. I get the following question a lot, so thought I would share it here as well. There are a few tips I tell people if you don't have an LRF at least for coyote hunting.

Thermal Shading: This is a technique that I have used for years. The degree to which this works can very depending on the resolution and base magnification of your scope. If using a 1x thermal, this isn't going to apply nearly as much, or it will happen at much closer ranges. Thermal shading is noticing the heat differences of the coyote's body. A coyote loses heat through the head and lower legs the most. When a coyote is all one color, on most thermals, it is past the shooting distance where you can hold right on your spot (PBR). As the coyote gets closer, you will often notice the legs and head becoming a different color than the rest of the coyote, and eventually you will start to notice this on the body of the coyote as well. When you can start seeing thermal shading in the body of the coyote, it is within range of most modern center-fire cartridges. This is an example at some different yardages:

Reticle Proportion: Another technique is set up a target at known distances of a coyote. You can use HVAC tape to make an outline for instance or at least the distance from the ground to the shoulder or the nose to the tail, etc. Use your favorite reticle and see how large the coyote is in the scope at given distances. The reticle chosen, whether it is a FFP or SFP reticle and the magnification level (if not a FFP), can all make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Good lesson.  I am still learning distance estimation with thermals.  I like the thermal shading examples.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a very useful tip.
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top