Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2024 8:39:48 AM EDT
Recently decided I wanted an rds on my KS7, but didn't want to ditch the handle and shell holder.

So instead I ordered an AR carry handle, chopped it, and filed the edges to fit into the KS7 rail. There's a hole drilled to access one of the screws that holds the carry handle in. I had to open it up with a drill to get the carry handle bolt in.

The issue then was, the mount would bottom out. Carry handle mounts should wedge on the the angles. So I ended up shimming the angles with aluminum strips so it could wedge and theoretically have a better chance of holding zero. I used a nylon washer to keep the nut from chewing the underside of the handle.

Yesterday I ran around 60 slugs through it and it appears to be holding true. Much better than the green triangle it comes with, though the mount I used still allows you to use the standard sight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!  I'm considering biting the bullet on an OD green KS7 myself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
Looks good!  I'm considering biting the bullet on an OD green KS7 myself.
View Quote

Mostly good things to say about it. There's some shells it doesn't like to run. Funny enough mini shells work great in mine and I can fit 10+1 mini slugs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Mostly good things to say about it. There's some shells it doesn't like to run. Funny enough mini shells work great in mine and I can fit 10+1 mini slugs.
View Quote

I was considering the KSG-410 but the prices of shells are ridiculous, and I liked that the mini shells worked in the KS7, giving a higher capacity plus less recoil.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#5]

I was considering the KSG-410 but the prices of shells are ridiculous, and I liked that the mini shells worked in the KS7, giving a higher capacity plus less recoil.
View Quote

Well and cost. I bought 280 sterling mini shells for around 240 shipped I believe. For little slugs they also hit pretty hard. Here was one slug to a 2x4.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#6]

Well and cost. I bought 280 sterling mini shells for around 240 shipped I believe. For little slugs they also hit pretty hard. Here was one slug to a 2x4.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/1000007767_jpg-3140921.JPG

View Quote

Damn! Definitely makes one not discount what the minis can do!

Where did you get the shell holder that you have on yours?  I like that better than the side mounted ones.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to get something for mine and debate removing the handle part, as that is kind of it's charm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Where did you get the shell holder that you have on yours?  I like that better than the side mounted ones.
View Quote

haga defense, here's the link. Little pricey considering what it is but, what isn't these days.
https://hagadefense.com/ks7-shell-carrier/
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]

haga defense, here's the link. Little pricey considering what it is but, what isn't these days.
View Quote

Thanks!  I like the left/right option with it.  Do you flip yours over to load or just reach under to load from below?  I've seen people do it both ways on videos, with a lot of the review videos flipping it over as they talked about the shotgun, showing it upside down as they loaded it to zoom in and let people see how it loaded better.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#10]

Thanks!  I like the left/right option with it.  Do you flip yours over to load or just reach under to load from below?  I've seen people do it both ways on videos, with a lot of the review videos flipping it over as they talked about the shotgun, showing it upside down as they loaded it to zoom in and let people see how it loaded better.

View Quote

When I load I just point it slightly toward the sky, and grab the shells with my left hand and reach under and load. With other pumps like 870's I will flip them, but this thing is light enough and balances easy enough to hold with one hand. Doing that with a 20" 870 with no pistol grip is a little more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I like mine better tbh. I know it's side mounted. Haga didn't look as secure to me (the screws bite into the polymer mlok covers and can deform them/loosen over.time.)  I tried what they did using an Mlok rail cover. Didn't work out so hot.

Attachment Attached File

I robbed the shell holder.piece from a tacstar 590 side saddle.
Attachment Attached File

Used Magpul Zhukov Mounting Hardware and a spare square nut as washers. Basically I drilled out the threads. It isn't going anywhere. I Bubbad the shit out of it lol.

The square washer is up against the plastic and won't move under recoil. My logic is stuff usually moves forward during recoil.

The rubber side saddle had brass inserts threaded for screws. I forgot the thread pitch. Metric 5 iirc?

Attachment Attached File

I swapped to the Hi Tech Picatinny though. Polymer carry handle just didn't inspire confidence. The barrel rotated pretty easy without the heat shield tucked in there. Doesn't really effect accuracy since everything is mounted to the barrel technically.

Also at the time I used a Bushnell TRS-25.

Attachment Attached File

Hitech Extended Rail:
Samson HK BUIS with Blitzkrieg front post.
Holsun 515GM in Scalarworks.
Sig Weapon Light
QD Sling Mount.

The carry handle is peak aesthetics but is rather flimsy. I would love an aluminum version that takes AR front sight posts with mlok and a provision for carry handle mounts.

The factory one is serviceable however.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#12]
Well Fox, you convinced me.  I ordered this today.    

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of scope mounts have you guys been using with the carry handle?  I tried one of my AR carry handle mounts, and it wouldn't fit inside the handle's top channel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
This seems to be fairly new............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335117965034

Someone else had one on eBay that was a short version.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#15]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
What kind of scope mounts have you guys been using with the carry handle?  I tried one of my AR carry handle mounts, and it wouldn't fit inside the handle's top channel.
View Quote

Leupold is a great fit.

Also it has a hole for the channel, so it becomes a crude ghost ring sight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:23:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#16]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
View Quote

Mine didn't fit. If you look at my pic I chopped the low end of the carry handle off, then filed the angled ledges that normally sit in the top of the carry handle. Atleast those ledges is what prevented mine from dropping all the way in. I just used a little file and my vice, then painted the mount when I was done.

I circled the ledge I'm talking about below. On the left side you can't see but that ledge on the mount is filed to be parrallel with the top of the carry handle. The mount then bottoms out. Which is why I then shimmed the bottom of the mounts 45 angles with a strip of aluminum on each side. I've got around 100 slugs through it so far and it's holding zero perfectly.

Attachment Attached File

As far as what mount, I used a cheap one incase I messed up modding it. Was on amazon for like $15.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:59:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#17]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

I like mine better tbh. I know it's side mounted. Haga didn't look as secure to me (the screws bite into the polymer mlok covers and can deform them/loosen over.time.)  I tried what they did using an Mlok rail cover. Didn't work out so well
View Quote

The haga shell holder won't deform the slots because the screws go through a polymer section of the holder that has steel inserts. So essentially you put the polymer inside the carry handle, and the screws screw into the inserts in it. So then that 3 inch piece of polymer is squeezing the wall of the carry handle. No metal is touching the slot at all. Here's a pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Mine didn't fit. If you look at my pic I chopped the low end of the carry handle off, then filed the angled ledges that normally sit in the top of the carry handle. Atleast those ledges is what prevented mine from dropping all the way in. I just used a little file and my vice, then painted the mount when I was done.

I circled the ledge I'm talking about below. On the left side you can't see but that ledge on the mount is filed to be parrallel with the top of the carry handle. The mount then bottoms out. Which is why I then shimmed the bottom of the mounts 45 angles with a strip of aluminum on each side. I've got around 100 slugs through it so far and it's holding zero perfectly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/pic_1_g_png-3151909.JPG

As far as what mount, I used a cheap one incase I messed up modding it. Was on amazon for like $15.
View Quote

Looks like I'll do the same with rail assembly.  I have a cheap one I can trim down with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I lucked out and a found a cheap handle mount in a bin at the LGS for $5.  After a coupe of passing with a Dremel it fit's like a glove!  I have a spare SIG Romeo 5 and will try it with the low mount
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Bumping this thread, how reliable have you guys found the KS7 with 2.75" shells?

Reliable enough for a house / car SD shotgun?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Bumping this thread, how reliable have you guys found the KS7 with 2.75" shells?

Reliable enough for a house / car SD shotgun?
View Quote

Depends on the brand of shell. Mine will run brennekke and mini slugs fine but sometimes the shells stick with federal. It's mostly a range gun for me. May work for that but I would have to run alot more through it to feel comfortable with HD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had two and neither ran reliably with 2 3/4" shells. Some nonsense where the shell ends up backwards in the action wasn't uncommon, but usually just cramming rounds around chamber and not actually feeding. Coupled with an overall flimsy build I wouldn't recommend one for anything other than a range toy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top