Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 6:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlindFaith429]
Stopped at my local gun shop today and came across something quite unexpected.

I'm familiar with the KSG (dual tube model) and the KS7 (single mag tube).

This one felt like a KS7, but upon closer inspection, it was a dual magazine tube. And in 410.

Been kinda looking for a 410 for a while (for a novelty). Was considering a 410 Shockwave for this role, but haven't come across one locally.

This 410 KSG really piqued my interest. Felt like the KS7 slimness (since it's 410) but obviously has the handling and capacity of the KSG.

Price was $595, which I thought was very reasonable.

I assume the KSG has already gone through its growing pains since being introduced years ago now.

Has all the kinks been ironed out by now? Would this be good to go?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Edit: I see MSRP is only $495. I may be mistaken, maybe the price tag was $495, not $595.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#1]
Like all gun makers, when you make thousands of anything a certain percentage will have problems.
Also like all gun makers, you usually only hear from people who get one of those problems.

Most Kel-Tec shotgun buyers have no problems, and if they do, Kel-Tec offers fast and effective warranty repairs.
They pay shipping both ways so all you're out is usually about two weeks.

The KGS .410 is very new but they learned a lot with the original KSG and even more with the KS7.

The major problem with the KSG are maladjusted shell feed stops that either don't feed or allow more then one shell to feed.
The factory corrects that fast.
In fact, the major issue with the Kel-Tec shotguns is operator error, usually showing off how fast they can empty the gun and fumbling it, or failure to FULLY operate the action.

The KSG and KS7 are modified John Browning Ithaca Model 37 designs.  
The feed process takes place in the last 1/2 inch of movement of the pump handle to the rear, and reset of the next shell happens in the last 1/2 inch of forward movement.
Everything in between has no effect.

So, you have to be certain that you pull the handle ALL the way to the rear and ALL the way forward.
Contrary to internet theory, you do not have to hammer the action "Like ya got a pair".  
Like all pump shotguns if the gun is in correct operating condition, no matter how slow and gently you operate it, it will work correctly, as long as you do fully operate it.

The Kel-Tec's can benefit from a "fluff and buff" or you can just operate it dry it and shoot it to smooth things out.
I did a fluff & buff on my KSG and KS7.  The KS7 especially operates as smoothly as any pump gun I've ever used.
While the two guns are different designs in the feed assembly, some of the same techniques I used on the KS7 will work for the KSG.
The key area to smooth are the shell lifter and rear of the action slide.  Smoothing these up goes a long way to a smoother action.
The KSG fluff & buff has disappeared from the Kel-Tec site but my KS7 fluff & buff is still up..........

https://www.thektog.org/threads/fluffing-and-buffing-the-kel-tec-ks7-shotgun.275205/#replies-header

The only other key area specific to the KSG is to grind a small "U" shaped cut in the rear of the plastic forearm where it contacts the action release on the front of the trigger guard.
On the older KSG's this contact serves no purpose and only causes resistant's as the forearm contacts and pushes the release down slightly.
Kel-Tec may have corrected the contact between the forearm and action release, but if not just put in a notch  so the forearm won't contact the action release.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently got a KS7 (haven't had a chance to shoot it yet) but would like to pick up the KSG410.  It would be a good small critter gun, and I like the dual tube design.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Like all gun makers, when you make thousands of anything a certain percentage will have problems.
Also like all gun makers, you usually only hear from people who get one of those problems.

Most Kel-Tec shotgun buyers have no problems, and if they do, Kel-Tec offers fast and effective warranty repairs.
They pay shipping both ways so all you're out is usually about two weeks.

The KGS .410 is very new but they learned a lot with the original KSG and even more with the KS7.

The major problem with the KSG are maladjusted shell feed stops that either don't feed or allow more then one shell to feed.
The factory corrects that fast.
In fact, the major issue with the Kel-Tec shotguns is operator error, usually showing off how fast they can empty the gun and fumbling it, or failure to FULLY operate the action.

The KSG and KS7 are modified John Browning Ithaca Model 37 designs.  
The feed process takes place in the last 1/2 inch of movement of the pump handle to the rear, and reset of the next shell happens in the last 1/2 inch of forward movement.
Everything in between has no effect.

So, you have to be certain that you pull the handle ALL the way to the rear and ALL the way forward.
Contrary to internet theory, you do not have to hammer the action "Like ya got a pair".  
Like all pump shotguns if the gun is in correct operating condition, no matter how slow and gently you operate it, it will work correctly, as long as you do fully operate it.

The Kel-Tec's can benefit from a "fluff and buff" or you can just operate it dry it and shoot it to smooth things out.
I did a fluff & buff on my KSG and KS7.  The KS7 especially operates as smoothly as any pump gun I've ever used.
While the two guns are different designs in the feed assembly, some of the same techniques I used on the KS7 will work for the KSG.
The key area to smooth are the shell lifter and rear of the action slide.  Smoothing these up goes a long way to a smoother action.
The KSG fluff & buff has disappeared from the Kel-Tec site but my KS7 fluff & buff is still up..........

https://www.thektog.org/threads/fluffing-and-buffing-the-kel-tec-ks7-shotgun.275205/#replies-header

The only other key area specific to the KSG is to grind a small "U" shaped cut in the rear of the plastic forearm where it contacts the action release on the front of the trigger guard.
On the older KSG's this contact serves no purpose and only causes resistant's as the forearm contacts and pushes the release down slightly.
Kel-Tec may have corrected the contact between the forearm and action release, but if not just put in a notch  so the forearm won't contact the action release.
View Quote

Thank you very much for the info.

I thought I remembered (could be wrong) about the initial batches of KSG's having issues. But figured since they have been out for so long, the design / quality should have resolved them by now.

Great info on the "fluff and buff". Probably a little over my head, but I dont mind using it to "wear it in".

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#4]
People always ask what "Generation" of the KSG is Kel-Tec making.
There are no generations, Kel-Tec makes any changes or upgrades on the run.
The early KSG had some problems with feed and shells sticking in the chamber.

The feed problems were cured long ago, but you may get that rare factory error, which they fix ASAP.
Because of the complicated double magazine design, the shell stop assembly has to be right.  These days it almost always is.

The sticky chamber problem had them recommending for a time not to use low brass or cheap ammo, but a chamber polish to remove the parkerized coating usually fixes that.
The worst ammo was the Walmart Winchester bulk and it also gave a lot of trouble in the last of the Remington Express guns with rough chambers.

I suspect that Kel-Tec will eventually bring out a KS7 in .410 and the KSG and KS7 could easily be made in 20 gauge.
I wonder if a KSG or KS7 in semi-auto might be along.

I liked my KSG, but it has some quirks.......
When loading you have to carefully guide the shells into the correct magazine tube.  With the KS7 there is only one magazine and the carrier has rails made in so that a shell can only go into the tube.

The double magazine is nice but loading one with buck and one with slugs and switching back and forth just doesn't work.
It's difficult to be certain which tube is feeding what shell, and to change you have to dump the shell in the chamber.
I found the best way is to use the KSG as a 7 shot shotgun with the worlds fastest reload.
Shoot the mag empty and "reload" by switching to the other tube.

My method for that was to set the selector switch to feed the right tube, then when empty reach under the receiver and hook the switch with my left hand trigger finger and pull it over to feed the left tube.

Be careful about installing an extended magazine switch.  The switch is held by a really tiny Allen head screw and a longer switch  is too easy to get caught or bumped and broken off.
I don't see any way to extract a broken screw due to the location.  Replacement is a trip back to the factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top