BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Keltec Sub 2000 Opinions (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I like mine. I put an Mcarbo rear sight on it and a buffer tube cover.
I prefer iron sights on a truck gun. I'd go with something else if you plan on running an optic.
They are more reliable than any AR9 out there. I've got over 1k rounds through mine without a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Just sold mine.  I didn't hate it, just couldn't bond with it.  It was a gen 1 in 9mm for G17 mags.  The sights were crappy and none of the options available for mounting an optic appealed to me.

It did function well and was plenty accurate.  I even bought a G17 to have a pistol with compatible magazines, but I'm not a Glock guy.  Debating whether to go with a Ruger PC Carbine as a companion for the Glock
or to just get rid of the Glock and go with the S&W folder since I do carry M&P's and have a decent supply of magazines.

Nothing wrong with it and a lot of people seem to be happy with theirs, it just wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I own several pccs, and for many many years I have always wanted to get a sub2k but was on the fence as some people said they were great and others said they were crap.
I also made the mistake a long time ago and bought one of their pf9 pistols and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough so I was kind of jaded, but still had this sort of fascination with the sub2.
So when Keltec first announced the $100 rebate I watched for a good sale on one and picked it up.
Now It did sit for awhile in my safe as I knew I wanted to upgrade a lot of the crappy plastic internals on it and I knew I wanted to spend the money on the replacement kit that McCarbo made, so I waited to see if they would ever have a sale on their website.
They did indeed offer a sale during the 4th holiday so I grabbed The following:
Full all in one pro performance trigger kit with the flat trigger option
Replacement rear sight kit
larger replacement charging handle.
At the time the flat trigger version was on backorder so I had to wait a little while before everything was shipped out.
I also ordered from Tacticool products, their bolt tube cover and their buffer cylinder.

Mcarbo has a full video where it shows you how to do everything, including polishing the metal internals from their kit like the new feed ramp, hammer bushing, your existing hammer and sear, etc.
The full kit also includes pretty much everything you need including a mini container of flitz polish and some dremel polishing bits, except they don't provide the blue Loctite for all the replacement hardware.
I just finished putting everything together. Overall it went pretty well. My only complaints are with their included armor's wrench that is supposedly designed for both gen1 and gen2s.
I think keltec may have made some minor changes in the latest gen 2s as the wrench would not fit over the plastic retaining nut that holds the bolt tube in place. Luckily Keltec didn't use a lot of that plastic black max Loctite on mine so I was able to loosen mine with a strap wrench.
The other issue I ran into was again with the wrench was trying to use it to get the retaining clips off each side of the push safety, which caused the safety detent and spring to shoot across the room in my workshop.
Otherwise, I didn't run into any other problems and it went back together very well.

In regards to the parts of the replacement parts, I did use them to replace all the original parts with the ones from the new kit with the exception of the Mcarbo extended mag release.
The mag release on the sub2K is not ambi, and it is designed for you right handers. Well us unlucky southpaws have to deal with it sticking out on the left side.
The original factory one from Keltec doesn't stick out that far, so it is not really a problem when I grip it, but when I tried the new Mcarbo one it sticks out a little farther and then has a little notched bend or extension on the end  of it that comes back at a 90 degree angle.
With that added extension and bend I found it uncomfortable but luckily I tried it out with just holding it in place in the empty receiver before I put it all back together so I didn't have to take the entire thing apart to put the original back. That would not have been fun.

I didn't have a trigger pull gauge to check the weight, but supposedly the mcarbo parts is supposed to reduce the pull from factory 9 lbs to around 5lbs.

Their replacement flat trigger is aluminum and replaces the original cheesy plastic trigger. It feels better, but still has a little creep and travel. The reset is good, but not super tactile or loud.

Overall it is an improvement of the original trigger which felt almost like it was going to bend when you pulled it.

The tacticool buffer tube cover slides on very easy, and makes the cheek weld feel much nicer. Mcarbo sells one too, but the tacticool one is cheaper and it doesnt say "TACTICOOL" on it in realy big letters like the mcarbo one does. Why do companies do this I have no idea.

Their buffer cylinder also goes on easy. The only caveat on the buffer is that if you install the full piece you can no longer lock the charging handle back due to its size which is explained on their website but that is not a deal breaker for me.
It is basically four sections of circular foam that are lightly glued together with a washer glued on one end. You can peel sections off if you want and the charging handle will come back more, but then you will have more recoil.
I just installed the full piece in there. Again Mcarbo sells one as well. It is a smaller one that is made of delrin that looks like a cherry life saver. After watching some of the youtube reviews on it, many said it didn't reduce recoil much due to its small size and that it is made of hard delrin plastic. It is also more expensive.

Lastly, I installed a Missouri Tactical slip on buttpad.
It fits on there nicely and no tools are needed. It is made of a soft shock absorbing elastomer material that feels really good and should really help in also reducing felt recoil.
Again Mcarbo makes one, but it is more expensive, looks to also be made of a harder material, and lastly requires you to drilling a bunch of holes in the factory keltec stock.

As soon as I get a chance to take it to the range to try out I will post back here with an update.

Sorry that this post turned out to be so long, but figured it might help others who may be on the fence on getting one. I know not everyone is going to want to spend this much time or money on one, but those that might want to I hope this helps.

I know that I have yet to fire this with all these improvements, and it might turn out that I still hate it after doing so, but for me part of the fun is tinkering with firearms, so for me it was worth it. YMMV.

If anyone has any other questions on the above, please let me know. Again as soon as I can carve out some time on this thing, I will post back up here or start a new thread.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GT86:
Bought a Gen 1 years back, wanted to like it but it was an ergonomic mess, felt flimsy, the sights sucked and wasn't fun to shoot.

Bought a Gen 2 last year, wanted to like it but it was an ergonomic mess, felt flimsy, the sights sucked and wasn't fun to shoot.

Sold both and don't miss them at all  They were reliable in my limited experience and decently accurate but once the novelty of the whole "it folds" thing wore off it was just an unpleasant gun for me on a lot of levels.

I really think if they didn't fold nobody would buy them. It's not a bad idea but like most things KT the execution is poor. At least IMHO.
View Quote

Pretty much this, hell I still think about wanting one again then I stop and think back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a modern day interpretation of a Sten gun.   The gen 2 is more refined than the gen 1, esp the front sight.  On gen 1, seen better front sights on a watergun.

Goes bang.  Wouldn't want to fight a war with one, but for down and dirty defense inside of 50 yards it will do...
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
Its a modern day interpretation of a Sten gun.   The gen 2 is more refined than the gen 1, esp the front sight.  On gen 1, seen better front sights on a watergun.

Goes bang.  Wouldn't want to fight a war with one, but for down and dirty defense inside of 50 yards it will do...
View Quote

Given they shipped 400 of em to Ukraine, I guess some people are...
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Gen 2 has made advances. Rear sight fix. Heat up a harbor freight orange handled pick. Run it through the plastic sight and open up that sight picture. Makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to tame the brutal 9mm recoil in your Trailerpark Uzi, stack five to seven hose washers behind the bolt assembly.  It seemed to work with one that I had a decade or so ago.  Get the rubber ones.  Any hardware store will have them.
The best part is you can use them for your hoses if you decide you don’t want them in your Trailerpark Uzi.

The one I had always worked, but was nothing extraordinary.  I think I sold it and a ton of other shit to get a transferable Uzi and never got another.

I did get a PC Carbine and braced PC Charger and I do prefer those over the Trailerpark Uzi.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
why?

what capability does it give you that your G17 lacks?

I argue none.

it is still 9mm
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#10]
SW FPC beats it in every way.  Not quite as cheap but at $550, VERY reasonably priced and doesn't need $100 worth of fixes right out of the box.  AND it's not a Kel-Tec, so it feels like a real rifle, and not something cobbled together in the Plumbing section of Home Depot.

I'd sell mine but for as little as used SUB's bring, it's not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mach: why?

what capability does it give you that your G17 lacks?

I argue none.

it is still 9mm
View Quote

A stock.

Legality as a rifle, handy in "no-pistol" zones.

16" bbl gives higher velocity in 115 grn & 124 grn.

Ability to mount larger lights, lasers, ability to run bipods and magnified optics (albeit LER)

Ability to run suppressor w/o a piston; or

Availability of integrally suppressed version.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Love mine. Made it my truck gun. Keep plenty of G17 and stick mags in the bag to go with my Pistola
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:32:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#13]
Got mine a few months back. Set it up with Mcarbo tube cover and Amazon butt pad. American Defense QD riser mount, Vortex crossfire 2. It has zeroed at 50 and 25 and will stay in a 2 inch bull's eye all day at 25. Looking at over 1k rounds now with no malfunctions. May invest in Mcarbo feed ramp and trigger but not ready yet. Good gun to stay in the safe next to a fun stick of jhp as a backup HD option and can slip into a 17 inch computer bag for transport. I don't find the recoil issues others have and I got a taller rear iron to help the cheak weld. Charging
Handle is probably my biggest complaint but meh...
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Had one and never liked anything about it other than the fact it  folds.  If it hadn’t folded, it would be another back- catalog item from this company that seems to be long on innovation but so short on execution.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:  Had one and never liked anything about it other than the fact it  folds.  If it hadn’t folded, it would be another back- catalog item from this company that seems to be long on innovation but so short on execution.
View Quote

I like that the Multi-Mag version takes 7 different pistol mags w/ a change of the mag catch.  But yes, the ARish-9 guns make better PCCs IF you don't need a compact rifle and if you want to pay nearly double the price.

Sold another Glock mag version today - I can't keep SUBs or 20 ga Maverick Cruisers on the table.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had a gen 2 Beretta mag version for many years.
No major mods except for a heavier Sumo charge handle, optic, a Missouri Tactical butt pad and a KNS crosshair front sight.
No breakages, failures or malfunctions.

Yes the trigger sucks but for me this is the PCC version of a mouse gun. You're gonna make some sacrifices in ergonomics for such a small package. The grip is short even for my medium sized hands, enough that I made a few 'extended mag plates' with pinky rests to keep a full grip.

I do have to run an optic, my cheeks make it hard to use the irons. I'm OK with not being able to fully close it, still stows easily in a laptop case. I run a See All, not the greatest optic but no batteries or electronics.

I also recently picked up a S&W FPC, about a pound heavier, and quite a bit larger than the SUB2k when folded. But very nice ergonomics & trigger.

You just have to honest with what you want out of a carbine. Like my P32, the Sub2k doesn't get much range time, but they both serve a specific purpose.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
@naes

Where did you hear about the Gen 3?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#18]
They posted it on Instagram today.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Would be delighted if they went to a side folder.  They've already gotten their money out of the Gen 2 molds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had a Gen 2 since the beginning of the year.  I haven't had many range outings with it yet, but I do like it a lot.

First the bad.  I didn't like the fact you can't fold it with an optic mounted.  Like others have said, the folding feature is pretty much the only reason you'd chose one of these over a different 9mm rifle.

The irons aren't actually bad if they were at a comfortable height. But they are too low and you have to really smash your cheekbone down on the tube to get a sight picture.  The rear aperture is pretty small.   That said, if you need reading glasses, a smaller rear aperture will act like a pinhole camera and help your eyes focus on the front sight.  If you open up this aperture, only do so if you won't ever need reading glasses.  And at some point your eyes will be too bad for irons altogether.

Which brings us to the optics/folding problem.  I tried the mcarbo mount and it worked, but you really need an optic like the Primary Arms prism that comes with multiple height risers.  This mount was good in that it allows the gun to fold, but with an optic mounted to it, it makes the gun nearly three times as thick when folded.  

I haven't seen pictures of the Gen 3 folded with an optic mounted but it's my understanding that it's a similar situation, with the handguard rotating 90 degrees and the optic making the gun thicker.  The gen 3 does eliminate the irons altogether and requires an optic.

I ended up getting a red lion precision forearm.  This completely replaces the factory forearm with a rotating Mlock forearm.  It has a screw collar to lock it into one of 4 positions at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.  It let's you mount an optic, rotate it 180 degrees out of the way, and fold the gun without adding any thickness to it by rotating the optic to the side.

It also lets you rotate the optic to the side in case you want to use the irons while simultaneously resting the forearm on a bag, support, etc.  I did this while sighting my irons back in after installing the red lion forearm.  You do have to remove and reinstall the front sight  

Best way to get the front sight aligned when reinstalling it is to center the post between the ears first, then using a laser bore sight, position the post so it's aligned with the laser on a distant wall of your shop and tighten the locknut down.  This will get you within a couple of clicks of windage from perfectly centered.  

With the red lion forearm you can unfold and shoot using the irons if you don't have time to unlock, rotate and re-lock it with the optic on top.  Really I think the gen 2 with the RLP forearm is better than the Gen 3 or any other fold away optics mounts.  It's pricey, but it's really nicely made.

Anyhow I also agree the cold metal tube is uncomfortable on the face.  One of these days I'll make a 3D printed sleeve to cover the tube.

Overall I really like the gun with the red lion forearm.  If that wasn't available, I'd probably sell it and try something else because the other folding options just aren't great.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like the Gen 3 only adds a rotating fore end so you can mount an optic.  Wonder if they'll extend the $150 upgrade to the newer gen?  Shame you need to double the cost of the gun in aftermarket parts to bring it up to where it ought to be from the factory, and it's still just a KT.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Pretty much this, hell I still think about wanting one again then I stop and think back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
Originally Posted By GT86:
Bought a Gen 1 years back, wanted to like it but it was an ergonomic mess, felt flimsy, the sights sucked and wasn't fun to shoot.

Bought a Gen 2 last year, wanted to like it but it was an ergonomic mess, felt flimsy, the sights sucked and wasn't fun to shoot.

Sold both and don't miss them at all  They were reliable in my limited experience and decently accurate but once the novelty of the whole "it folds" thing wore off it was just an unpleasant gun for me on a lot of levels.

I really think if they didn't fold nobody would buy them. It's not a bad idea but like most things KT the execution is poor. At least IMHO.

This.  Had a Gen 1 way back in 2002, it was a novelty but not much more. Nothing about it made me feel like it was a realistic option for long term self defense use. I think I ended up selling it off in 2004. I picked up a Gen 2 when they first came out thinking it was improved. It still felt like a cheap novelty gun. It folds, neat. I really think the fact that they fold and the price isn’t too bad, suckers a lot of people in. The Scorpion and Stribog are pretty damn compact with a collapsing or folding brace/stock set up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#23]
Figured there being a Sub 2K thread, I'd add my .02 cents on the gen 3. I'd always wanted one since they first came out, but never did because of the low sights.

When i heard they made this optics ready version i bought one. Had it almost two months now.

Mine is north of 500 rounds so, the pros and cons:

Pros:

Fit and finish actually decent for plastic fantastic gun. Prior to the 500+ rounds, i oiled the innards and installed a Sig Romeo 7 green dot.

I've only had one malfunction and that was caused by me on the shooting block...i let my free hand's thumb interfere with the reciprocating charging handle. (That reciprocating handle is a sort of con, but just keep stuff out of the path and the gun runs fine.) Stovepipe i created was cleared quickly after a mag drop. That was about the 200 round mark.

It's dead reliable and accurate. Even though the green reticle is very blurry with my astigmatism eyes, i had little trouble doing a slight holdover to plink a 12×24 steel plate at 200 yards.  Also discovered (with a chrono) that this PCC and it's 16" barrel gives about a 200 fps boost in speed for 115 gr ball over 4" pistol.

The trigger is not bad, but I'm a Glockfanboi, so take that as you will.   I've read previous gens had plastic triggers. This one is metal. Take up starts off sort of spongy, but that goes away before the slight wall and break. Reset is not long, but is barely audible. My favorite mags for this rifle are Magpul 27's

The length of pull is adjustable, a bit, like 1.5". I could shoot it fine as it came from the factory in the shortest position, but I'm tall, so i let it out to full length.

Cons:

Direct blowback firearms do have more noticeable recoil. It is just the nature of the design, but i knew that going in. It's a semi-con. Blowbacks tend to be reliable. I did not really notice much smoke out of the ejection port, but the blowback does leave smoke residue on the trigger finger hand after 100 rounds.

The only real con for me is the plastic pic rail on top. I notice that after shooting a 100 rounds that the optic tensioning screw had backed out about a 1/4 turn. It did not loosen enough to drift the point of aim, but that bugs me. I guess i could put some thread lock on the final optic i eventually settle with.

This rifle does not lock back after the last round is fired. I knew that beforehand, so not a deal breaker for me.

The twisty thing the barrel end does for folding does take some getting used to. After several folding tries, it's no big deal. Semi con. It locks snuggly for folding. A permanant optic does add to storage thickness. You could still put it in a backpack.

Most of the ammo i fed it was some 115 grain Monarch brass bulk. About 100 were my own 124 grain reloads. It ran bothe weights fine. I'd like to run some 147 grain through it, just to check function. It does have threaded muzzle, so you could run a suppressor, but i have no suppressors or plan to.

9mm out of a PCC barrel is rather quiet compared to a handgun. I accidently sent one downrange with my muffs up. No PING.....EEEEEE after that one round, like a handgun would do. About the same as popping off a 12 gage bird load. Obviously not hearing safe, but...well, you know.

Overall judgement is that it's a keeper.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Figured there being a Sub 2K thread, I'd add my .02 cents on the gen 3.
-snip-

View Quote

Out of curiosity, how does it handle the 33 rounders or drums?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:  Figured there being a Sub 2K thread, I'd add my .02 cents on the gen 3.
-snip-

My Gen 2 feeds steel case from 40 round ETS mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Figured there being a Sub 2K thread, I'd add my .02 cents on the gen 3.
-snip-

OE Glock 33s run fine. I have one that i used during the break in. I don't own a drum. I bought a couple of Magpul 27 round mags specifically for this rifle because it is dinky. The shorter 27s just look like they are made for it. The 33s are just a tad too long for bench shooting. Plus i under load the 27s to 25. This splits a box of 50 rounds to two mags for range shooting.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Keltec Sub 2000 Opinions (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top