Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2024 11:09:36 PM EDT
I picked up this Krag @ a gun show a couple weeks ago.  I don’t know much about them other than it almost completes my US service rifle collection.  Hopping someone here can tell me a little about it.  If I did the picture thing right the last ones show a brass plate that was blocking the magazine.  The hole drilled on the left side of the receiver is for it.  

https://imgur.com/a/ZChU9je

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
@HenryKnoxFineBooks

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Post Spanish-American War production
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the brass piece the remains of a scope mount?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The brass was fed though the magazine.  I didn’t think anything of till I went to load it on the range.  I’ll try to get a picture with it back in later tonight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some pictures with it back in.  I also find it strange that someone removed the safety.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a rifle length gun with a carbine hand guard. The big hump in the hand guard was to protect the carbine rear sight when slid in and out of saddle scabbards
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

@stevtrains

Your pictures are not showing up.
View Quote

I see that, not sure why. I put the Imgur link in the little picture box.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Stevtrains:  Here are some pictures with it back in.  I also find it strange that someone removed the safety.  

https://imgur.com/a/V5vluqS
View Quote

OP, quit posting the link to the Imgur page the pictures are on.  You have to post the link to the individual picture:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Picture-posting-tutorial-and-PICTURE-test-thread/168-638569/
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The spacer is to make it work better with blanks.

Prob a old VFW gun well used, missing safety and stock has been altered.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tangeant:  The spacer is to make it work better with blanks.

View Quote

Ahhhh.  Was wondering why they'd plugged the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tangeant:  The spacer is to make it work better with blanks.

5 blanks should fit in magazine. The brass piece makes up for the blanks not having bullets and being shorter... helps with feeding.

Rifle could be a Hollywood gun too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The barrel has been shortened (and the stock cut as previously mentioned) and the muzzle turned down to accept a bayonet. "They" did these on some for the VFW or American Legion to make them M1903 length. The handguard also has a chunk glued on forward of the sight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I would post it at the the. Krag Collectors Association forum for opinions, I remember a thread there awhile ago about the magazine plugs and movie studio guns that was informative.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you everyone for all the help.  I’ll take a look @ the Krag Collectors sight too.  Do you think it would be worth the $25 to ask the CMP if they sold it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Stevtrains:
Thank you everyone for all the help.  I’ll take a look @ the Krag Collectors sight too.  Do you think it would be worth the $25 to ask the CMP if they sold it?
View Quote

Why not wait for a bit for more info?  CMP almost certainly did not sell it.  Maybe the DCM, which I think the CMP has their records.  If a Veteran's Organization gun, I don't think those went through the DCM?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

CMP has sold a handful of Krags over the years.  Veteran organization returns, which is what this one looks like.  It's definitely been messed with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#18]
@Stevtrains  

Whats the last number of the serial? , 242,220 and 242,226 show in SRS as going to the MD NG in 1904.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
@Stevtrains  

Whats the last number of the serial? , 242,220 and 242,226 show in SRS as going to the MD NG in 1904.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I misread the first number  a 2, no hits on that serial number.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#21]

Why not wait for a bit for more info?  CMP almost certainly did not sell it.  Maybe the DCM, which I think the CMP has their records.  If a Veteran's Organization gun, I don't think those went through the DCM?
View Quote

Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

CMP has sold a handful of Krags over the years.  Veteran organization returns, which is what this one looks like.  It's definitely been messed with.
View Quote

To expand on these, many veteran organization guns didn't make it back to the issuing agency before they were sold off to the public. Common stories are the organization shut down and the guns got sold to the members/friends/whoever, or the guns were kept at "Harry's" house but Harry dies and his widow sells them off with the rest of his stuff. I would say most "Legion Hall" guns fall into one of these categories with "sold thru the CMP" being a distant third. Technically, the first two types are stolen .gov property but the records are apparently so bad it's easier to prove life on alien planets than prove something is a stolen vet org rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top