Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2024 5:01:39 PM EDT
Hi

I have feeling because of the conflicts around the globe, supply of tubes on commercial market from these major US DoD vendors (L3Harris and Elbit SA) is drying up and they are getting more expensive.
Some NV vendors are pushing Chinese NNVT tubes to commercial US market to fill the gap.
Does anyone made same observations of the current night vision market?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t really have any insight into the supply. To me it seems like the Chinese stuff is more targeted toward the uniformed buyers with a low price point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The rnvga tnvc supergain I bought about a half year ago have actually dropped 500 in price.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the current status on L3 Super Gain tubes?  Rumor mill is saying don't expect any L3 SG high spec clean tubes until Jan 2025.  Is that true?  Seems like the wait has gotten longer despite all the hype about L3 specs becoming better.  Specs matter nothing if it isn't available after a reasonable amount of time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

The tubes needed to fulfill most international orders, particularly the most likely "hot spots" are generally in a whole different category performance-wise relative to what U.S. commercial customers expect out of a new, Gen. 3 tube.

Most countries are limited to MAX 1800 FOM, with some "naughty" folks being limited to 1600, while others who play nice / nicer may get 2000 or 2200 MAX FOM. Only a select few, very close allies receive 2400 MAX.

Gen. 2 architecture tubes and overseas produced tubes (AKA: non-ITAR tubes) are far more heavily affected by international demand, however in general most international customers, unless they are very strapped for cash and/or needing to buy everything they can get their hands on, tend to still prefer MAX 1800 FOM Gen. 3 over non-ITAR (to them--they do become ITAR once they enter the U.S.) tubes when they can get them.

Where non-ITAR tubes tend to be most popular / successful is typically with large scale fielding to conventional national defense forces / armies, where the difference of even a couple of Euros per unit can make a big difference over several thousand units, not to mention sustainment and maintenance contracts and other support tailored to large scale conventional formations. However, this kind of programmatic demand is typically known about and planned for years in advance and delivered incrementally, so it does not typically interrupt supply that much.

Annual pricing increases are fairly normal on tubes, though 2024 was higher than normal--inflation is a thing everywhere, beyond that the direct-from-manufacturer pricing and pricing increases have been fairly steady over the last few years and within normal expectations. If you are seeing more drastic pricing changes, it likely has more to do with distribution structures and supply changing.

~Augee
View Quote

What is the current status on L3 Super Gain tubes?  Rumor mill is saying don't expect any L3 SG high spec clean tubes until almost 2025.  Is that true?  Seems like the wait has gotten longer despite all the hype about L3 specs becoming better.  Specs matter nothing if it isn't available after a reasonable amount of time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By deadbeef:
Hi

I have feeling because of the conflicts around the globe, supply of tubes on commercial market from these major US DoD vendors (L3Harris and Elbit SA) is drying up and they are getting more expensive.
Some NV vendors are pushing Chinese NNVT tubes to commercial US market to fill the gap.
Does anyone made same observations of the current night vision market?
View Quote

I disagree with a few things here.

I don't think retailers are pushing Chinese tubes to fill a supply gap.  I think they're pushing Chinese tubes to fill a market price gap.

NV is expensive as hell.  Most people cannot reasonably afford it.

When NV goes from 10K to 4K, people start paying attention and you're opening up the market for people that will push their budgets to get something they really want, even if they don't "need" it or cannot justify it.

To me, tubes seem more readily available now than they were a few years ago regardless of whatever the hell is going on in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Augee, do you sell SG tubes separate? Or can you order them in clip ons?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top