Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2024 9:20:08 AM EDT
Hey guys, couldn't find a better spot for this. Unfortunately  I'm in law enforcement and we are having the DNC this year. It's going to be an utter shit show and I'm ok with that. ( Let it burn).    I'm looking for some laser protective lenses I can wear with my Oakley's.    

In 2020 , antifa used lasers alot to try to blind our guys.  I have some Oakley flak 2.0 and was hoping to find lenses for that model.   Ideally, as low cost as possible.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get laser lenses from Oakley, ESS, etc

The problem is you need to have some info on the type of laser to ensure the lenses are right for that type of laser.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R0N:
You can get laser lenses from Oakley, ESS, etc

The problem is you need to have some info on the type of laser to ensure the lenses are right for that type of laser.
View Quote

Ah.  There's not a broad spectrum lens?  I don't know what kind of lasers are/ were being used.  I just know they were enough to cause permanent damage to some of the guys I've worked with.       The lenses that come with the flaks don't offer any protection vs lasers?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ESS explains it, I believe is from green lasers so their LPL-5 is probably a good start.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#4]
Having worked the DNC and RNC; DNC was a cake walk compared to RNC.   When we started dealing with lasers at RNC, all of us were issued some type of anti laser eye pro.  Some guys tried wearing it all the time but eventually went to just wearing them when we actually encountered lasers.  Pretty sure ours filtered out anything that was yellow in color.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:

Ah.  There's not a broad spectrum lens?  I don't know what kind of lasers are/ were being used.  I just know they were enough to cause permanent damage to some of the guys I've worked with.       The lenses that come with the flaks don't offer any protection vs lasers?
View Quote
There is, but they are dark as fuck.
We had a lot of discussion about this last time, hoping there might be some low-cost alternatives.
Get with the feds, and see if there is some kind of civil unrest funding or a grant to buy you guys something.

I'd hate to get my eye popped. There are a ton of options available out there that can be bought, no questions asked, that will do just that (google styropyro on youtube for some examples). The problem is the color. The filters (glasses) work on a color. Get one that stops, say, blue, and a UV or IR will zip through. Or something like that, they go in order by wavelength.

failing all of that, get some mirrored ones, and take them out when you go!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
We had a lot of discussion about this last time, hoping there might be some low-cost alternatives.
Get with the feds, and see if there is some kind of civil unrest funding or a grant to buy you guys something.

I'd hate to get my eye popped. There are a ton of options available out there that can be bought, no questions asked, that will do just that (google styropyro on youtube for some examples). The problem is the color. The filters (glasses) work on a color. Get one that stops, say, blue, and a UV or IR will zip through. Or something like that, they go in order by wavelength.

View Quote

theres tons of funding available for gear when DNC and RNC come to town
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#7]
Originally Posted By high_order1:

View Quote
This - it's all based on frequency (color)
Best wishes out there and stay safe.   You guys should be able to shoot back (real bullets) against those cocksuckers, same as if they fired a gun at you, because it's really not any different.   In fact, it's really worse, because a bullet wound from them might heal, but an eye injury likely will not.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

theres tons of funding available for gear when DNC and RNC come to town
View Quote

Unfortunately I work for a large department.  We have to buy our own gear.  Riot helmet, vest, belts , boots etc.  we do get a uniform allowance a few times a year.  They won't give us the laser strips.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Unfortunately I work for a large department.  We have to buy our own gear.  Riot helmet, vest, belts , boots etc.  we do get a uniform allowance a few times a year.  They won't give us the laser strips.
View Quote

lol...what? Are you in the host city? If so you'll have access to stupid amounts of funding
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Get with your liaison officer and see if he is hiding all the good stuff. If that doesn't fly, find your spoc for the 1033 program. They definitely will have access to getting stuff, especially antiterrorism supplies, at the cost of shipping.

Welding goggles, standard college lab LASER safety glasses, good sunglasses will not defeat these threats. See if someone has a HSIN account; there is more info on countermeasures in there.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
In 2016 Cleveland spent close to $400k on mountain bikes and associated gear for the RNC.  Charlotte spent around $50 million total for the RNC (which include laser safe eye pro).   When the conferences roll into town agencies basically totally re-equip their bike and crowd control units in addition to having spare gear on hand for out of town units.     IMO there isn’t a need to go to 1033 or even private purchase equipment unless your agency is totally inept with the multi millions of funds that are given
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
In 2016 Cleveland spent close to $400k on mountain bikes and associated gear for the RNC.  Charlotte spent around $50 million total for the RNC (which include laser safe eye pro).   When the conferences roll into town agencies basically totally re-equip their bike and crowd control units in addition to having spare gear on hand for out of town units.     IMO there isn’t a need to go to 1033 or even private purchase equipment unless your agency is totally inept with the multi millions of funds that are given
View Quote

I work for the city the DNC is being held in.   They won't buy us a bottle of water. Only time they " have to " buy us something is when they mandate a certain clothing or gear item.  Even then, they only buy the first time .  After that , it's all you.    Except for our riot helmets.  We had to buy those ourselves in the academy.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]

I work for the city the DNC is being held in.   They won't buy us a bottle of water. Only time they " have to " buy us something is when they mandate a certain clothing or gear item.  Even then, they only buy the first time .  After that , it's all you.    Except for our riot helmets.  We had to buy those ourselves in the academy.

View Quote

you guys are getting $75 million for security....Id ask where the money is going.

To answer your original question, we were issued these from Revision.   We turned them back in at the end of RNC.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought some glasses from Revision during the summer of love that blocks against a number of spectrums - infrared and blue, I think, and maybe one or two others.

They are reasonably dark during the day, almost like sunglasses, and driving with them isn't safe, since it's difficult to tell the color of traffic lights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Revision has models to cover each and multiple spectrum. The problem is that the more "colors" you try to protect against the darker you get until it's essentially welding goggle dark. Even the lighter ones don't work well at night which of course is when most of the violent activity occurs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top