Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2024 2:32:17 PM EDT
Just found a box of SS198LF that was dated from 2013 in the pile.

Oldest box I had.

All 50 rds fired with zero problems.

Not sure how long this can last, but it would seem 10 years is just fine
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have SS195 which is several years older than that.  I have come to the conclusion that the lead-free refers to the bullet construction, not the primer.  I also have a couple of boxes of lead free 9mm which dates back to the 1990s.  It is lead-free bullet and primer.  It had frequent misfires last time I tried it.  Planning to pull the bullets some day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
SS195 and SS198LF both utilize a lead free primer and bullet. I've shot stuff from 2005 and it was fine..
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The LF primer will be more affected by humidity, keep em dry.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
SS195 and SS198LF both utilize a lead free primer and bullet. I've shot stuff from 2005 and it was fine..
View Quote

good to hear
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm shooting 8mm from 1953 that has been stored in who knows what.  Shoots fine.  Wouldn't worry about this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DocGP:
I'm shooting 8mm from 1953 that has been stored in who knows what.  Shoots fine.  Wouldn't worry about this.
View Quote

The 8mm from 1953 is probably not lead free primers which are known and advertised to have a shorter shelf life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

The 8mm from 1953 is probably not lead free primers which are known and advertised to have a shorter shelf life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
Originally Posted By DocGP:

Vintage 8mm probably is lead free in that they use corrosive primers… different chemistry than modern lead free though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Boregonian:

Vintage 8mm probably is lead free in that they use corrosive primers… different chemistry than modern lead free though.
View Quote

yeah, we all know that old ammo is fine.  Really not a "like" comparison as I have shot WWII German ammo through my MP40.  As mentioned above we are going pretty specific here into the 5.7 ammo which is "legend" to have a limited shelf life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

yeah, we all know that old ammo is fine.  Really not a "like" comparison as I have shot WWII German ammo through my MP40.  As mentioned above we are going pretty specific here into the 5.7 ammo which is "legend" to have a limited shelf life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boregonian:

Several years back I tossed a few dozen rounds of 5.56 in the gutter of my house.  It sat up there for a year or so and soaked in water and sat in the heat.  It was pretty tarnished looking when I dug it out but it all fired just fine.  

It might be an interesting experiment with some SS198 just to see how long it takes to start getting unreliable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just found a box of SS198LF that was dated from 2013 in the pile.

Oldest box I had.

All 50 rds fired with zero problems.

Not sure how long this can last, but it would seem 10 years is just fine
View Quote

Got a link to the study on this? Never heard of that before
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
nope, it is just internet rumor I had read on multiple fn forums that the lead free primers die

so far I have NEVER seen it, but my ammo is not THAT old in comparison to what some have

It was nice to pull a box that was atleast a decade in age because that was the time frame the mongers were stating it would show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top