Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
Not sure why a lot of pump guns are as heavy as they are. For example, my Remington 870 is a tank and weighs as much as one too lol.

I am not expecting to find a "lightweight" pump 12GA, but are there any RELIABLE pump 12GA shotguns on the market that are considered light?

Yes, I know some semi-auto guns are lighter etc. Not what I am asking or after. :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Benelli nova/super nova is pretty light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Ithaca M37. Featherlight is in the name for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Mossbergs have aluminum receivers. The 590A1's heavier barrel will add to the weight more than the normal profile barrels, but otherwise the 500 and 590 lines are lighter depending on which capacity you go with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
View Quote

More than I'd spend
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:47:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#5]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Mossbergs have aluminum receivers. The 590A1's heavier barrel will add to the weight more than the normal profile barrels, but otherwise the 500 and 590 lines are lighter depending on which capacity you go with.
View Quote

Have a 500 that is in the middle of its SBS project. Will be run suppressed as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're just looking for a lightweight, inexpensive but reliable pump the Mossberg Maverick 88 ought to work for you.  For a bit more you could get the regular 500; as noted, they don't have the thick-walled barrel of the 590 series.  The 500 would also allow you the option of using mini shells since a lightweight 12ga pump is going to have more felt recoil than a heavier/semiauto gun (I don't know if the adapters made for the 500 series work in the Maverick).
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
If you're just looking for a lightweight, inexpensive but reliable pump the Mossberg Maverick 88 ought to work for you.  For a bit more you could get the regular 500; as noted, they don't have the thick-walled barrel of the 590 series.  The 500 would also allow you the option of using mini shells since a lightweight 12ga pump is going to have more felt recoil than a heavier/semiauto gun (I don't know if the adapters made for the 500 series work in the Maverick).
View Quote

I tried the mini shell thing in a couple guns & they never ran right. I gave up.

I'll probably keep an eye out for another used 500
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a short M500 or M590 in AOW or SBS configuration. That's about as light as they get.
When you're shooting it a lot, you'll probably wish it was heavier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Most folks would rather have the reduced recoil over reduced weight.  A friend of mine had some Franchi ultralight 20 gauge that carried and swung well. It just kicked worse than his A-5 12 gauge so had almost no use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Get a short M500 or M590 in AOW or SBS configuration. That's about as light as they get.
When you're shooting it a lot, you'll probably wish it was heavier.
View Quote

I have a SBS Mossberg 500. I'm just waiting for the barrel to come back from cut and thread and then I will be running it suppressed and hopefully it's enjoyable.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

More than I'd spend
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:

More than I'd spend

Used Ithaca 37s run about the same (maybe a little more) than used Remington 870s.

Of course, if you're looking for mint condition classic Ithacas, those will probably be a bit more.

I really like my 37.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

Used Ithaca 37s run about the same (maybe a little more) than used Remington 870s.

Of course, if you're looking for mint condition classic Ithacas, those will probably be a bit more.

I really like my 37.
View Quote

A quick GB search of ending soonest says otherwise + none of them have a 18.5" barrel either
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Palmetto will be selling a nice sounding in house pump 12ga.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top