Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 1:39:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave]
I used google to search ar15.com and didnt find any threads that covered this well enough.

I want to load 223 blanks to run with a blank fire adapter, not to launch soda cans.

I have the Hornady Dies, they arrived today.

The powder I have on hand that I think is maybe a good candidate is Hi-Skor 700-x. I saw a yourube video that showed (i think) a load of around 5.2gr, i would need to look for that again.

Seeing as none of my 15 reloading books is going to be much help, I am actually asking the internet for specific load advice.

Also any tips on using these dies other than the included directions.

Thanks.

Eta; i also have a pound of Clays and (not found in my burn charts Hi-Skor 800-X)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We have the technology.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Test case feeds correctly from the magazine. Youtube video i found suggests 5.2 grains on Hi-Skor 700X and little paint/nail polish to close the tip.

I hate to use my nice red nail polish, will have to go to wal mart.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#6]
You jest about the nail polish but a while back Menards had some free after rebate.

I have several bottles squirreled away for just such a purpose.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I got nail polish and hobby paint from Dollar General.

So far the paint is applying much better on my test cases.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes......... I'm going to wander-into-the-weeds ...........
Would nail polish put less bad chemicals into your barrel than paint?

I mean I'd guess the MSDS's are pretty similar................. but?  

Or should I shut up and go back to eating crayons?   ;)
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

View Quote

Good question. Much of the info out there is curtesy of soda can launching people, who give clearly bad ideas concerning loading blanks to be used for MILES / blank fire training.

I was hoping finger nail polish would work, but this stuff from dollar general was like water thin.

I will say that the upper I use for blank fire, is only used for that, so I am not super concerned about it. Paint is probably better than shooting lead nose 22lr with a cmmg conversion kit in terms of gas port fowling. I have also shot A LOT of plastic sims rounds out of uppers…….. that keep running,

Color choice; I decided to steer away from red so that they could be distinguished at a glance from factory blanks.

——————-

A furtherance of this project will be to make cheap 7.62/5.45x39 blanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got to say it would hurt me to spend >$130 on a set of dies, and burn a primer and some powder, and I assume ruin a case? and spend the time/effort loading, just to get a bang and no hole in the target.
Personally I'd have to have some kind of very specific need (21 gun salute, theatrical production?) to justify that in my head, and if some kind of shooting training is the goal, I'd either dryfire or live fire it.
But I'd be curious to see how it works out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#12]
During one FTX, i might shoot 200+ blanks. These are force on force field events, sometimes with MILES.

Blanks are selling for $500 for 1000. I can pick up all the 223 brass I need for free to load. I have over 7000 sized, trimmed, swaged already. So the only cost is primer/powder, which with current costs puts 1000 blanks at about $110.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Good question. Much of the info out there is curtesy of soda can launching people, who give clearly bad ideas concerning loading blanks to be used for MILES / blank fire training.

I was hoping finger nail polish would work, but this stuff from dollar general was like water thin.

I will say that the upper I use for blank fire, is only used for that, so I am not super concerned about it. Paint is probably better than shooting lead nose 22lr with a cmmg conversion kit in terms of gas port fowling. I have also shot A LOT of plastic sims rounds out of uppers…….. that keep running,

Color choice; I decided to steer away from red so that they could be distinguished at a glance from factory blanks.

——————-

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

——————-

No worries............Rock on!
Do post your results.............  I'm curious.
FWIW....... I can usually get 5.56 blanks for about 25cpr.......... if that helps your Cost analysis.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]

FWIW....... I can usually get 5.56 blanks for about 25cpr.......... if that helps your Cost analysis.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

——————-

If that pricing is available online, send me a PM with the URL of the vendor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#17]
Test rifle; 10.5" upper unknown brand barrel (only upper with A2 birdcage for BFA). Standard carbine buffer and spring. Yellow BFA from Amazon that had good reviews.

Load 5.2g of HiSkor 700X.

4 rounds loaded into magpul 30rd magazine and tested.

All fed, fired and ejected about 4 feet at about 4 o'clock. Bolt did not lock back on empty.

Will ladder test up a little bit and check again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I would stay right where you are on powder charge if it is working.

That Blank adspter size is on the  verge of being too small for reliability.

A blank fired at proper operating pressure  will open up like a rose petal at the crimp.  If it operates at recommended settings without  opening much at all then you are still ok.

If the case mouths mangle themselves or you start getting  creases down the length  of the case  then you are flirting with dangerous  overpressure. Stop immediately  and adjust the blank adapter or change to a different  lower powered blank.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:23:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#19]
I should have added my observations on the case.

Minimal opening of the case mouth crimp. Vey little observable fire-forming.

The unfortunate variable I am adding to this situation is running a 10.5” barrel, instead of a 14.5/16” barrel that the yellow BFA is designed for. However, I found Arfcom archived threads with guys saying they ran yellow BFAs in training with short barrels and they worked. For full context, of course, I do not know if “worked” means cycled but did not lock the bolt open on an empty magazine due to short stroking.

I also think I need to back off my crimp starter die a little to make a less aggressive pedal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Out of curiosity, can someone reload a blank to make a reload blank? Will the case mouth of a fired blank round be opened up with the dies when decapping?

If it does, I would consider annealing those fired blank cases before sizing them again. That much flexing of the case mouth would likely split the case rather quickly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I think they are pretty work hardened and folded. Can be cut down to 300BLK for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Out of curiosity, can someone reload a blank to make a reload blank? Will the case mouth of a fired blank round be opened up with the dies when decapping?.
View Quote

No, it doesn't  work.

It will never seal and hold pressure.

8/10  will simply crush the case mouth anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:
No, it doesn't  work.

It will never seal and hold pressure.

8/10  will simply crush the case mouth anyway.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:59:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#24]
Took further test loads out today. I only shot my lowest increase and did not shoot the higher loads.

Same test rifle.

5.5g of Hi-Skor 700x. Tested by loading three rounds at a time in the magazine, tested twice.

All rounds fed, fired and ejected, now at more of a 3 o’clock angle. One ejecting back at 4:30.

Bolt held open successfully. On both tests.

I have more playing to do with the the two dies to get the pedal/star crimp adjusted, but I will be loading about 250 at this charge for field testing.

No splitting or other brass damage signs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#25]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Stepping up production. Working on tip sealing technique.

I did a test case with a “higher quality” finger nail polish, applies much thicker than the other stuff i tried. Might be worth revisiting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Cool stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top