Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 2:45:27 PM EDT
Good customer bid on 3 guns at auction - managed to win all 3.

But:

1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?  I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?  Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.

2) Pre-68 German pocket pistol.  No importer markings.  Log it in w/ no importer, or Importer NA?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
1.   yes on s/n, model "none" or blank (if nothing on crane), yes, best guess on cal
2.   if no importer mentioned on gun, don't mention in book - IOW if importer is part of mfg column in your book, just don't mention it.   If it's a separate column, blank or "none"

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheers.  Customer didn't expect to win all 3 auctions, but got the less finished .32-20 revolver b/c he's already got a lever action in that caliber.

The .22 has beautiful Smith grips w/ inlaid mother of pearl, doesn't quite lock up tightly.  Probably needs a new cylinder stop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
...1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?
View Quote

Usually.
Sometimes there will be assembly numbers on the crane. I've received a few where the seller thought that was the serial#.

I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?
View Quote

You could record "none marked", but remember a number of well known handguns don't have their commonly used name marked on them....FN/Browning Hi Power or have several common names...Colt Peacemaker/Model P/Model 1873/ SAA or Single Action Army.

Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.
View Quote

You can get a little keychain caliber gauge for less than $5:

ATF doesn't care about .32-20.......    .32 is fine. same with .22 LR..... .22 is fine.

2) Pre-68 German pocket pistol.  No importer markings.  Log it in w/ no importer, or Importer NA?
View Quote

NA or none.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Usually.
Sometimes there will be assembly numbers on the crane. I've received a few where the seller thought that was the serial#.

You could record "none marked", but remember a number of well known handguns don't have their commonly used name marked on them....FN/Browning Hi Power or have several common names...Colt Peacemaker/Model P/Model 1873/ SAA or Single Action Army.

https://op1.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff-no-upscale/opplanet-vector-optics-gun-bore-gauge-brass-w-key-chain-hole-brass-scot-58-main-1.webp

ATF doesn't care about .32-20.......    .32 is fine. same with .22 LR..... .22 is fine.

NA or none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  ...1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?

Usually.

I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?

Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.

https://op1.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff-no-upscale/opplanet-vector-optics-gun-bore-gauge-brass-w-key-chain-hole-brass-scot-58-main-1.webp

NA or none.

Caliber is marked on the barrel - I wondered if I was supposed to research the pre number name of the gun from the calilber - which I can do for a Smith.  I can't do it for everything.

Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top