Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2024 2:45:27 PM EDT
Good customer bid on 3 guns at auction - managed to win all 3.

But:

1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?  I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?  Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.

2) Pre-68 German pocket pistol.  No importer markings.  Log it in w/ no importer, or Importer NA?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
1.   yes on s/n, model "none" or blank (if nothing on crane), yes, best guess on cal
2.   if no importer mentioned on gun, don't mention in book - IOW if importer is part of mfg column in your book, just don't mention it.   If it's a separate column, blank or "none"

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheers.  Customer didn't expect to win all 3 auctions, but got the less finished .32-20 revolver b/c he's already got a lever action in that caliber.

The .22 has beautiful Smith grips w/ inlaid mother of pearl, doesn't quite lock up tightly.  Probably needs a new cylinder stop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
...1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?
View Quote

Usually.
Sometimes there will be assembly numbers on the crane. I've received a few where the seller thought that was the serial#.

I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?
View Quote

You could record "none marked", but remember a number of well known handguns don't have their commonly used name marked on them....FN/Browning Hi Power or have several common names...Colt Peacemaker/Model P/Model 1873/ SAA or Single Action Army.

Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.
View Quote

You can get a little keychain caliber gauge for less than $5:

ATF doesn't care about .32-20.......    .32 is fine. same with .22 LR..... .22 is fine.

2) Pre-68 German pocket pistol.  No importer markings.  Log it in w/ no importer, or Importer NA?
View Quote

NA or none.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Usually.
Sometimes there will be assembly numbers on the crane. I've received a few where the seller thought that was the serial#.

You could record "none marked", but remember a number of well known handguns don't have their commonly used name marked on them....FN/Browning Hi Power or have several common names...Colt Peacemaker/Model P/Model 1873/ SAA or Single Action Army.

https://op1.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff-no-upscale/opplanet-vector-optics-gun-bore-gauge-brass-w-key-chain-hole-brass-scot-58-main-1.webp

ATF doesn't care about .32-20.......    .32 is fine. same with .22 LR..... .22 is fine.

NA or none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  ...1) Never logged in old Smiths before.  The SN is on the butt, correct?

Usually.

I think these are pre model # guns, is the model NA, or is it inside the crane?

Do I do my best guess from caliber?  One's a .32-20 & the other a .22 LR.

https://op1.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff-no-upscale/opplanet-vector-optics-gun-bore-gauge-brass-w-key-chain-hole-brass-scot-58-main-1.webp

NA or none.

Caliber is marked on the barrel - I wondered if I was supposed to research the pre number name of the gun from the calilber - which I can do for a Smith.  I can't do it for everything.

Thanks for the help.
Top Top