Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 9:17:54 AM EDT
Search Snazzgun on the odysee and grab you the Aug magazine pack.

Function check so far is great.

If you don't have a 3D printer yet you need one.

They use AR-15 magazine springs and have been thoroughly tested by the creator. They feel great.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
How about printed AUG stocks for Long Term Sustainment?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:16:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbstractIdeas] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomac:
How about printed AUG stocks for Long Term Sustainment?
View Quote

Well now that you mention it. I'm buying the foreign Aug parts kit and printing the receiver next to have a spare Aug.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How many Aug mags could one purchase for the price of the printer?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to ask you fail to see the value in this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbstractIdeas] [#5]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
View Quote

Roughly 7-10 if going by the prices i have seen on steyr's website and some magazines on clearance. Ender 3's can be had for $189

This is the wrong question though.

How many bullets could I buy for the cost of a reloading press?

The 3D printer allows for numerous components to be printed for the AUG and hundreds of other firearms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AbstractIdeas:
Search Snazzgun on the odysee and grab you the Aug magazine pack.

Function check so far is great.

If you don't have a 3D printer yet you need one.

They use AR-15 magazine springs and have been thoroughly tested by the creator. They feel great.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/592350/1000005321-3180905.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/592350/1000005316-3178517.jpg

View Quote

Ah, you beat me to posting these, saw them on reddit the other day. Clearly the designer has put in a ton of work on these, not at all the janky mags we normally associate with 3D printing. I cant wait to try them.

https://odysee.com/@Snazzgun:d

They come in sizes 10, 20, 30, 35, 42, which is really cool. I know many have wanted a 20rd options for years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fosscad/comments/1btvp13/42_round_aug_mags_15_layer_height/

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Zero could be purchased after an AWB ban, import ban, or Steyr going out of biz.

This is absolutely a huge deal for long term AUG ownership, especially those living in ban states.

Also you can print mag sizes (20rd, 35rd) that can't be purchased at all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting and cool project. I haven’t followed the 3d printed AUG receiver. Is that really just a Reddit discussion?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Interesting and cool project. I haven’t followed the 3d printed AUG receiver. Is that really just a Reddit discussion?
View Quote

Yes; sadly Reddit has really become the center of gravity for AUG + 3D print gat discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/search/?q=nylaug

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Zero could be purchased after an AWB ban, import ban, or Steyr going out of biz.

This is absolutely a huge deal for long term AUG ownership, especially those living in ban states.

View Quote

Well not that out of bis, too many third parties make their mags. Thanks magpul and unity
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#11]

View Quote

Double tap
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By H2K:
If you have to ask you fail to see the value in this.
View Quote

That's correct. I'll continue buying proven, production mags until some AWB ban, import ban, or Steyr going out of biz. Buying a 3D printer now to make my own mags that are likely inferior to readily available, injection molded mags doesn't make sense to me at this point. That said, I can see it does for some of you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#13]

That's correct. I'll continue buying proven, production mags until some AWB ban, import ban, or Steyr going out of biz. Buying a 3D printer now to make my own mags that are likely inferior to readily available, injection molded mags doesn't make sense to me at this point. That said, I can see it does for some of you.
View Quote

FYI, you don't buy a 3D printer to make mags.  You buy a 3D printer to make things.  Those things could be parts for guns, cars, the house, etc.

It is an excuse to learn how to 3D print and learn CAD to make high quality things quickly that you can use.  Those same skills can be used to prototype parts so you can take the files to a machinist to make out of metal, or even cast it yourself.

Car fasteners and trim pieces are a good use, especially for older cars where they get brittle.  I have built spacers for sinks, reloading aides,  gun upgrades,  car fasteners/parts, repairs for children's toys, actual children's toys, parts to make the 3d printer better, jigs and assembly tools.

And now 3D printer guns are a thing, and we know many of them are military tested/used in the conflicts in the Asia Pacific.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbstractIdeas] [#14]

View Quote

I can afford to buy factory made Aug magazines and can afford to be on the cutting edge of at home firearm and firearm accessories production.

It's not about the money and cost efficiency. It's about learning and future proofing as much firearms content as is viable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By H2K:  If you have to ask you fail to see the value in this.

Buying a 3D printer to only make mags is your 2nd or 3rd 3D printer.  You buy your 1st 3D printer to make things - mags, guns, stocks, car replacement parts, phone holders, 3D printer parts...
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

FYI, you don't buy a 3D printer to make mags.  You buy a 3D printer to make things.  Those things could be parts for guns, cars, the house, etc.

It is an excuse to learn how to 3D print and learn CAD to make high quality things quickly that you can use.  Those same skills can be used to prototype parts so you can take the files to a machinist to make out of metal, or even cast it yourself.

Car fasteners and trim pieces are a good use, especially for older cars where they get brittle.  I have built spacers for sinks, reloading aides,  gun upgrades,  car fasteners/parts, repairs for children's toys, actual children's toys, parts to make the 3d printer better, jigs and assembly tools.

And now 3D printer guns are a thing, and we know many of them are military tested/used in the conflicts in the Asia Pacific.
View Quote

Thats pretty darn cool!
Society has reached the point where no one can make anything at home. Everything requires a whole industry to make, even simple things. But this seems to reverse that. Hats off to ya'll.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Unless you can print springs, printing mag bodies is only half an answer...
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of you guys arent getting it.

3D printed magazine spring bending jig.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AbstractIdeas:
Some of you guys arent getting it.

3D printed magazine spring bending jig.
View Quote

That is awesome!  I didn't think about using a 3d printed jig to make a magazine Spring.  That is fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#20]
Originally Posted By BSJ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:  That's correct. I'll continue buying proven, production mags until some AWB ban, import ban, or Steyr going out of biz. Buying a 3D printer now to make my own mags that are likely inferior to readily available, injection molded mags doesn't make sense to me at this point. That said, I can see it does for some of you.

You can print spring winding mandrels.

ETA:  beat.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

As of right now, even the most draconian ban states allow buying mag springs.

Plus as these use standard AR springs you could steal/share springs with AR mag stockpile (which I assume most have a lot of relative to AUG mags).
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Plus as these use standard AR springs you could steal/share springs with AR mag stockpile (which I assume most have a lot of relative to AUG mags).
View All Quotes

Not sure Washington state does.  They pretty much banned a lot of gun parts sales.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You can print spring winding mandrels.

ETA:  beat.
View Quote

Well there you go!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Any enterprising individual feel like printing out some of these for those of us without 3D printers? I’d love a few 20 round mags. I have a few waffles I cut down but I’d be in for 4 20s if someone could oblige.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Nate762:
Any enterprising individual feel like printing out some of these for those of us without 3D printers? I’d love a few 20 round mags. I have a few waffles I cut down but I’d be in for 4 20s if someone could oblige.
View Quote

+1 to that.  If for no other reason than supporting experimentation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top