Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2023 10:58:49 AM EDT
A couple years ago the store I manage was purchased by another store in a different state.  We are still separate stores just with the same owner.  I was having a conversation with the manager of the other store about a negative review on Google which was over the age to purchase ammo.  Apparently they do stuff way different at the other store.  She is insisting we cannot sell .44 magnum ammo to an 18 year old unless he actually has the rifle with him.  Quote:

"The law sees it as handgun ammo. Doesn't matter what he says in the eyes of the law. Unless he had his riffle with him we wouldn't of sold to him either. I know you know this but again wouldn't of matter if he said it or not."

I don't know of any codified list of ammunition that states what is or is not handgun.  Am I wrong here?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-interchangeable-ammunition-such-22-caliber-rimfire-ammunition-person

It’s your judgement call to make on whether the buyer intends to use it in a rifle or handgun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought, store policy is one thing, law is another.  I can say 100% for sure I bought a lot of .22 once upon a time where I was asked "long gun or handgun." My biggest contention with what she said was viewed as handgun ammo.  Like there's a list of all ammo out there codified in law somewhere. 🤣
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NOMAAM:
"The law sees it as handgun ammo. Doesn't matter what he says in the eyes of the law. Unless he had his riffle with him we wouldn't of sold to him either. I know you know this but again wouldn't of matter if he said it or not."
View Quote

Another gun store commando. So certain they are right, but 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I would of brought my riffle so I could of bought that ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top