Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2024 10:46:38 AM EDT
Thermal- Trijicon IR Hunter Mk3 (not the Gen 2).

Power Supply- TNVC brander Anker unit (check spelling) with USB cable and screw-in adapter battery cap with battery contact insert.

Well, had a coyote come in last night, pulled the trigger, heard the impact and a yelp, but the scope went dead when I shot so I have no idea which way the coyote went. Took about ten minutes of screwing and unscrewing the battery adapter/connection cap and I got power back, but the slightest touch and power goes out. Searched the general area no sign. Had to pack up and call it a night unfortunately.

So... after a few years of use, seems my external power supply cable where it screws into the Thermal unit's battery compartment has a problem. Never has any issues with the set up. Took it all apart this am, cleaned and reassembled, same problem. Unit won't power on as usual and when I mess with the cap, screwing it in and out, I finally get power but the slightest movement results in power loss. I can mess with the USB end and no problems, it's only when I touch the battery compartment cap.

This is a pic of the adapter cable and where the ink pen is pointed is the adapter cap that has the permanently attached USB power cable.

I looked on TNVC's site but can't seem to locate this power unit kit... maybe I'm just not seeing it. The actual power supply appears to work great, holds a charge, and seems fine so I'd like to just replace the cable as that battery cap where the cord goes in seems to be the source of the problem.

OR... is this an old outdated design and I'm simply going to have to replace the entire ubit?

THANKS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Never mind gents... spoke to TNVC this am and have a replacement coming.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
good to hear they figured it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
if you bought the plastic rail housing for a USB battery be very careful with it. Mine broke the first time i used it
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiteryno:
good to hear they figured it out.
View Quote

@whiteryno

Well... after I made my order I went back and tinkered with it some more.

Looks like USER ERROR. There is a rubber O-ring on the battery cap housing, it makes you think the battery cap is tight when it's not. The insert with the cord attached wasn't fully seated. Once I realized that the problem was solved... no more power loss when messing with the cap and cord.

I decided not to cancel the order as apparently that cord isn't made any longer and it won't hurt to have a spare.

By the way, I'll be up at the farm this weekend giving a class if you're looking for something to do...
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:
if you bought the plastic rail housing for a USB battery be very careful with it. Mine broke the first time i used it
View Quote

I've used this set up for a few years now, no issues... I'm an idiot and didn't realize the cap wasn't screwed all the way down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top