Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 9:53:42 AM EDT
Finally got to try out a recent WW2 Garand purchase. Gosh I love it fun shooter. That is until it had a problem. Had a couple rounds left over so inserted one without installation in the clip.
Shot the round casing didn't eject. Tried to cycle the bolt to pick up the shell, now the bolt is stuck closed. No other rounds in the gun. Is there anything I can do to get the bolt open? Not real familiar with disassembly. A local gunsmith looked at it before I shot it to make sure it's safe. Can take it back to him. Just want to know if there is anything simple I can do. thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Rubber mallet on op rod handle - gently.

Don’t load single rounds without the specially modified clips.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
View Quote

This is nonsense, no need. Its been done that way since forever. That's how it's done for slow fire portions in competition still.
Mike B
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a plastic mallet. Easy taps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
"Mortar" the rifle.

Put a towel down on a bench or ground just to be gentle on the stock and buttplate.

Hold the rifle vertically with one hand applying rearward pressure on the op rod and the other securely holding the rifle. Bring it down and tap the end of the butt end of the stock on the bench/table and let inertia assist your hand in opening the action.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is good advice.

This is not true advice. Typical service rifle matches 25 to 48 rounds are single loaded without a clip. It is a common way to load and shoot.

OP, not sure how close to Oregon you are but Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Estacada OR is having a Garand Maintenance Clinic April 14th at noon. Cost is $10 and they go over Rifle Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection, Reassembly and Function Checks. It would be a great way to learn all the basics of the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lew:
"Mortar" the rifle.

Put a towel down on a bench or ground just to be gentle on the stock and buttplate.

Hold the rifle vertically with one hand applying rearward pressure on the op rod and the other securely holding the rifle. Bring it down and tap the end of the butt end of the stock on the bench/table and let inertia assist your hand in opening the action.
View Quote

same process as with an AR and no tools needed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:

This is good advice.

This is not true advice. Typical service rifle matches 25 to 48 rounds are single loaded without a clip. It is a common way to load and shoot.

OP, not sure how close to Oregon you are but Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Estacada OR is having a Garand Maintenance Clinic April 14th at noon. Cost is $10 and they go over Rifle Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection, Reassembly and Function Checks. It would be a great way to learn all the basics of the rifle.
View Quote

Was in Bend when this happened but back in Spokane now. Thanks for the info anyway, it's a bit too far away.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The Old Army way was to put the butt on the ground, put your foot on the op rod handle and step down.

This is shown in the Movie "Battle of the Bulge" by Charles Bronson showing a young soldier how to do it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Several years ago a older gentleman joined my club and he bought himself a M1 .

I got a semi panic phone call with him on the rifle range with a live round 95% of the way into the chamber but he couldn't fire it and he couldn't pull back on the op handle.

I only live 4 or 5 miles from the range so I tossed some tools , hammers and blocks of wood in the truck and headed down to the range.

My thoughts were of how hard I dared to wack the op handle and what the general feeling was by those in the know.

As I pulled into the range my friend came out and said he had got the stuck case out and was only waiting for me to arrive with the GI style chamber brush so we could clean things out.

I of course asked how he cleared it .

My friend answered "the Army way"  He had passed through West Point close to 60 years prior and he remembered the method he had been taught was to place the butt on the ground , lean the rifle out a bit so it wasn't pointed at your face and stomp with full force on the Operating handle.

Took him a couple of minutes to remember what he had been taught many years ago. Not push down . not step down but stomp like hell.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The Old Army way was to put the butt on the ground, put your foot on the op rod handle and step down.

This is shown in the Movie "Battle of the Bulge" by Charles Bronson showing a young soldier how to do it.
View Quote

When I shot service rifle there were some homebuilt M1A's.  Made me nervous as hell to watch a diy rifle builder kicking down on the bolt handle while the rifle magazine still contained live rounds...and pointing the muzzle at his internal organs.  Just imagine taking a round in the abdomen.  Would have definitely not buffed out.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What lew stated above.  I perform the same action on stuck shotshell cartridges in pump or semi-auto shotguns.  No one, I mean no one, is taking a hammer to any gun I own.  Everyone thinks they are a marksman and gunsmith.  Most are not qualified and pose a danger to themselves and others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top