Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

M249s (Page 6 of 6)
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M249S standard version and would like to get a para stock and barrel for it.  

The only para barrels I see available are 15.9" long or shorter. Where can I find one that is over 16", like the 16.1" barrel on the M249S para.

I am assuming the M249S para muzzle devise is pinned/welded. Everyone I have spoken to with para barrels for sale has said that if I pin and weld the muzzle device it will still be just under 16".

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ProbableColtAddict:
Since these have been around for years now and the cat's out of the bag I can finally say this.  When I first bought mine and looked at how it was converted, I couldn't believe the ATF approved the design.
View Quote

Having done some milling and machining overseas on HK guns, I felt the same when I bought an MP5 clone
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  You will need a spacer with the correct thread pitch for a para barrel.  Alternately, you can use the Surefire flash hider with a couple shims and once perm-attached, it will be 16".

Para barrels are 9/16-24 LH.

https://www.surefire.com/socom-3-prong-flash-hider/

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dferg10] [#4]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Yep.  You will need a spacer with the correct thread pitch for a para barrel.  Alternately, you can use the Surefire flash hider with a couple shims and once perm-attached, it will be 16".

Para barrels are 9/16-24 LH.

https://www.surefire.com/socom-3-prong-flash-hider/

View Quote

Thank you very much. I will get that flash hider if I can't find a spacer.

Any idea where I can find a spacer?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a guy on Sturmgewehr.com that sells an adapter to bring the length up to 16". His name is g36kinnc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a guy on Sturmgewehr.com that sells an adapter to bring the length up to 16". His name is g36kinnc.
View Quote

Thank you.

I want to also get a para stock.

I am trying to decide between the rotating, telescoping stock (which I can't find in stock anywhere right now) or the collapsible stock that looks like an M4 stock.

I would appreciate advice as to which one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The "M4-looking" stock is called the "SAVIT".  They are probably the best option between comfort, usability and price.  I have several stocks for mine, including the original FN Minimi "para-style" stock (not pictured), the M249 Para, the standard 'clubfoot' stock, the SAVIT and the newer hydraulic 5-position stock.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
This is why it's called the Savit stock.
Attachment Attached File

It was developed by the Savit Corporation under the Rapid Fielding Initiative because Army troops requested a collapsible stock that was "like the M4 stock" and adjustable for length.

It's a good stock, but it's the heaviest one too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
This is why it's called the Savit stock.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13082/Savit_jpg-2958772.JPG

It was developed by the Savit Corporation under the Rapid Fielding Initiative because Army troops requested a collapsible stock that was "like the M4 stock" and adjustable for length.

It's a good stock, but it's the heaviest one too.

View Quote

Heaviest is an understatement... The thing feels like it weighs like 3-5 pounds! Para stock is cool to outsiders but it's my least favorite to use. Savit is the way to go!
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
Heaviest is an understatement... The thing feels like it weighs like 3-5 pounds!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Heaviest is an understatement... The thing feels like it weighs like 3-5 pounds!
It's over 2.5 pounds, and yes, it's a noticeable difference. It does help balance the gun (since it's normally front-heavy) but I prefer having less overall weight.

Para stock is cool to outsiders but it's my least favorite to use. Savit is the way to go!
Have you tried the bottom stock in @jtb33's pic? That's the newest one. It's substantially lighter.

I just bought one on the EE, but I don't have it yet.

I also don't have a regular fixed stock, but they're easy to find used. I'd like to get a MK46 butt plate since it's supposedly more comfortable to shoulder offhand (which I fully believe). Not sure if it's rubber or polymer, but it looks like it'll directly replace a standard butt plate assembly. I cannot find them online anywhere; not even a part number for that individual component.

The only other difference in the MK46 stock assembly is that it has an additional sling swivel forward of the stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't tried the Mod 1 stock! I'm curious what your thoughts are. I totally agree that the Savit stock balances well, especially with a para or Mk46 barrel. Don't really notice the weight on my shoulder especially with the barrel shroud

Hope we'll be able to buy the furniture on the Mk46 Mod 2 one day! Probably won't make any further changes in the meantime.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of the newer 5-position stock (I'm still not sure of the technical name for that stock - anyone know?), is that it has two cheek risers that come with it, so if you're using an optic like an Elcan 134a, it is much easier to use.

Ironically, it's probably the worst-looking of all the stocks, but it's also probably the most utilitarian, ignoring cost and availability.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#13]
Speaking of the newer 5-position stock (I'm still not sure of the technical name for that stock - anyone know?)
View All Quotes
Speaking of the newer 5-position stock (I'm still not sure of the technical name for that stock - anyone know?)
"Lightweight collapsible buttstock" is all I've ever seen it called online.

It is NSN 1005-01-576-8901 for the M249.
The back end (buttstock assembly) is also the same buttstock assembly used on the M240L, starting around the end of 2011 (although the NSN for the whole M240L stock is 1005-01-576-4661).

The part number for the complete M249 stock is 13026046, but usually the number on the butt plate assembly (13026033) is what appears in WTS photos. That'll be the same number on either stock, so be sure to check the receiver interface end to know which one you're looking at.

Keaper Machine (CAGE code 1HFX2) in Mentor, OH manufactured most of them, but Design West Technologies (CAGE code 3DB52) has also manufactured them (and likely designed the thing, on behalf of US Army Armament Research).
The indefinite contracts to produce both stocks (M240L + M249 versions) went out in the same solicitation(s).

...it has two cheek risers that come with it, so if you're using an optic like an Elcan 134a, it is much easier to use.
Yeah it's said to be great with optics.
The lower cheek rest is the same height as the Savit stock.

Ironically, it's probably the worst-looking of all the stocks, but it's also probably the most utilitarian, ignoring cost and availability.
Agreed. I'll post feedback after I have some experience with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope we'll be able to buy the furniture on the Mk46 Mod 2 one day! Probably won't make any further changes in the meantime.
https://fnamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/FN_MK_46_MOD2_Rotators_1-1200x513.png
View Quote
Idk if anyone has fielded the Mk46 Mod 2. That's just what FN calls it, not the US government. I'm sure they're hoping for renewed (sole-source) contract interest.
They've displayed them at SHOT with that stock though, so at least it seems to be in production.

MGW doesn't list it though (and they list tons of new FN parts at sky-high prices) so maybe FN only did a limited production run for demo guns?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info - thanks for sharing.

Here's my "HK lower" M249 with it...

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-Pilot] [#17]
The ridiculous weight of the savit stock is mostly in the steel sleeve that is inside the adjustable stock part itself. Take it off just like you would any adjustable AR stock and put a normal AR stock on it, they fit fine.

(The newer exposed aluminum stocks are complete crap other than the adjustable cheek height. The adjustment mechanism is completely retarded, it will either pinch your fingers or snag on gloves and it’s overly complicated)
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By M4-Pilot:
The ridiculous weight of the savit stock is mostly in the steel sleeve that is inside the adjustable stock part itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4-Pilot:
The ridiculous weight of the savit stock is mostly in the steel sleeve that is inside the adjustable stock part itself.
Yeah you're right.
Wow. Why did they use steel there?

Take it off just like you would any adjustable AR stock and put a normal AR stock on it, they fit fine.
Yes, but only the front 3 positions are usable.
The adjustment mechanism is farther aft on an AR buttstock than it is on the Savit.
Still cool though. Thanks for the tip. Depending on the particular AR stock and LOP required, it can work well.

(The newer exposed aluminum stocks are complete crap other than the adjustable cheek height. The adjustment mechanism is completely retarded, it will either pinch your fingers or snag on gloves and it's overly complicated)
Well that's disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a savit stock hated it.Heavy piece of junk.Got the modern one best stock for 249
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The weight in the savit is probably just typical overkill even though the 249 has significantly less recoil than your average AR bc of its weight. If using a normal AR stock, you can saw off an inch or two at the front of the stock and it will collapse further and get another shorter position or two  also keep in mind that a normal AR stock gives you more of a chin weld than anything else, but on the lighter guns like the mk46 that can be nice sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone make a 300BLK barrel?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
View Quote
Pretty sure MGA makes one - whether you can get one from them is probably another story.

I think Noveske also made one at one time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I have one from Ballistic Research and Machine. I’ve been waiting for a post sample conversion kit to really get it running. It will cycle 30blk subs. Fun.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/12/17/subsonic-300blk-m249/
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:57:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lumpyboy] [#24]
I’d love to get a 300 Blk barrel to run suppressed but have not found anyone making them. A recent one sold on GB for $2100. Not worth that money IMO.

The USGI barrel with the surefire socom brake gets you to 16.1”. The USGI brake came right off no problem.

I have all the stocks except the newest weird looking one and the para. I didn’t care for the weight of the Savit but I still like it better than the fixed club stock.  I have the next newer one after that (lightweight collapsible stock). I have the higher cheek riser. Savit is for sale if anyone is looking for one.

I have the Midwest industries front rail to which I have mounted a LRA F-class bipod. I know that’s not authentic but I wanted more vertical adjustability in the bipod than the oem fixed height bipod.

Toying with getting the OOW m240 at some point. I understand they are a pleasure to shoot with a 4 lb trigger. The m249 is a classic and I plan to keep it (bought it a few years back) but the current gen trigger is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:16:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#25]
Originally Posted By goloud:

I have one from Ballistic Research and Machine. I’ve been waiting for a post sample conversion kit to really get it running. It will cycle 30blk subs. Fun.

View All Quotes

Thanks for this. I called this morning — $1200 and an eight-week lead-time. They said that there are some gas issues, though, with their use on semis.

ETA: that’s great news about the adjustable gas system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Debo75] [#26]

View All Quotes

Sweet. Jesus. I didn't know they made them. Noveske did a run a loooong time ago, and I have never seen one come up for sale. According to the Ballistic Research Instagram page they are working on a Mark 2 barrel in 300BO.

ETA I called as well and ordered a pair of barrels. Their email is down at the moment. The owner told me the newer barrels will have an adjustable gas system like the '240, so even though the semi 249s have much stronger recoil springs than the full auto open bolt design, the user should be able to tune the gas for reliable cycling. VERY excited about these.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lumpyboy] [#27]
That is good news. What is timing on adjustable gas 300 Blk?

Edit: spoke with ballistic. The gas is adjustable.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
M249s (Page 6 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top