Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
M79
Posted: 11/22/2023 11:12:07 PM EDT
Just checking since the M79 is less familiar to me than the M203.

My understanding is that the receiver is the NFA item like a M203 and you can purchase a barrel assembly over the counter like any other barrel?

Strictly asking about the legal ownership of the barrel alone. Not the receiver or if having a receiver and barrel is a gray area  or anything else.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel is not a restricted part
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikonov] [#2]
The 40mm barrels are not a restricted item. I will say that in regards to receivers... it depends if the receiver (m79/m203, whatever etc) is coming to you as a registered item or not. I purchased my M79 few years ago as a receiver first, came to me as a title 1 firearm. The 40mm barrel assembly I kept at a local dealer to not have the two items together so I don't have "constructive intent" until my form 1 cleared.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As mentioned, neither the barrel nor receiver is NFA alone. The receiver is a title 1 firearm, which (legally) can be purchased through a standard FFL, form 1'ed, then barrel added.
M79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top