Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2023 4:25:02 PM EDT
What are my options for MAS Grey aka RAL 7013 in a home refinishing scenario? Is there a spray can color that's close? I have an airbrush and HVLP spray gun plus curing oven for any gun-sized parts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you Cerakote, I would try mixing up Patriot Brown and Sig Dark Grey, maybe adding a little bit of Magpul OD Green.

If looking for off the shelf paints, you can mix up custom colors by spraying rattle cans into a bottle or container until the desired ratio is achieved. Test every now and then with a q-tip on a test piece. Dry the test swatch with a heat gun (as you know, wet paint is always darker). Cover the mouth of the bottle with a paper towel to catch splatter, and remember these paints will still retain some aerosols and will be under pressure if you seal a lid on the container for future use--crack them every now and then to relieve gas. You can then strain this paint into your HVLP gun. I mixed up various brands of camouflage paint to achieve the Multicam palette for my Holland, and sprayed through an Iwata LPH-80:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I haven't tried this vendor before, but it looks like LVP Paints can mix up your desired color in rattle can form here:
LVP Paints RAL 7013

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ankratz:
I haven't tried this vendor before, but it looks like LVP Paints can mix up your desired color in rattle can form here:
LVP Paints RAL 7013

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232334/LVP_Paint_JPG-3121984.JPG
View Quote

Great looking multicam work there, that must have taken some R&D time.
The LVP paint looks like just the thing, and I can get the same product in non-aerosol containers too. Thanks, I could only find european vendors with RAL colors in stock for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ankratz] [#3]
I think this is a German company, but they show within five day delivery to US via FedEx. I'm guessing they have operations out of New England.

"My Perfect Color"
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That German company sure is proud of their paint. Being an officially licensed RAL dealer there's a possibility their colors are more "correct", but at 3x the price of the LVP option the base paint better be superior also.
I don't know much about paints so I have no way of judging this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you looked at UDE (Urban Dark Earth)? If it's close enough to suit you it can be purchased direct from Duracoat. The nice part is that Magpul already offers furniture in UDE.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't seen that, but it looks like another good option, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top