Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 43
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:I wonder if it's an actual American optic, and not the Chinese optics Sig pretends are American.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:I wonder if it's an actual American optic, and not the Chinese optics Sig pretends are American.

Originally Posted By GLD1980:

Honestly fellas doesn't it look like an open emitter version of their closed emitter Romeo8T which is assembled in the USA. It will most likely be assembled in the USA as well.

Originally Posted By GrAvril:
If the glass stuffs made in Philippines or Japan they should say, some reason doesnt rub me like made in China does

Garand Thumb:
Correction to Sig Optic information on the Romeo8. Made in America. Emitter in made in South Korea, Circuit boards are assembled in Washington and housings are made in Oregon.

This explains why: https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/uvd2zt/sig_romeo_4mt_and_probably_the_8t/
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVG7uFVaOo
MCX LT (20:20)
defense & security 2022 thailand
View Quote

No captions

Glad they still do booth girls overseas - those Glock girls were hot
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#3]
Originally Posted By Bigchillin83:
so over the virtus what are we getting

6 oz lighter
MI style slimmer handguard
ambi bolt release
fde color

everything else... well only one thing we gaining in the virtus is 7.62x39...
View Quote

6oz lighter and ambi bolt release was what I was waiting for, personally.

ETA: the 4T is a top-tier optic that is sadly overlooked because there was about two decades of the Aimpoint being the only game in town.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By doolz:
@coregon

Few questions based on what's been released in the videos...

1) Garand Thumb said that the Gen 3 (Spear LT?) handguard WILL NOT be backwards compatible with the Virtus. Did I hear this correctly? If this be the case, can you clarify any other "major" compability yes/no's on the new release and the Virtus.

2) It looks like SIG has an optic to challenge an EOTECH [SCREENSHOT BELOW], do you have any teaser info on this as well?

3) Are the new SIG suppressors going to only be compatible with the new muzzle devices on the Spear LT?

Thanks for the info!

https://i.imgur.com/CNvIZaJ.png

ETA: Point where GT says the handguards "won't" be compatible with the Virtus

Compatibility?
View Quote

1.)  Same as Legacy/Gen1 transition to Virtus/Gen2, hand guard compatibility is the only negative.  That said, a Virtus HG WILL install/work on a -LT, but not vice versa.  I know, people would rather it be the other way around, but it is what it is.  The -LT HG is obviously slimmer and will not mate up with the Virtus HG - but with the Virtus HG being wider, it will install on an -LT upper.  

2.)  This is NOT a Romeo8, but an entirely different optic.

3.)  Im not sure I am understanding your question on the suppressors - the muzzle device that ships on the -LT is the muzzle device for the SLH/SLX line of suppressors...??
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
@coregon

Is this one of those special contract 10.5" guns?  (barrel & handguard def look shorter)

Also, you mentioned an 11" barrel as an available config.  Is it really 11" now or does 11" = 11.5"?

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait...do some people actually care if a 5.56 barrel is 10.5" instead of 11" ?   I thought that 10.5" isn't optimized for anything other than being the shortest length you can cut down an M4 barrel because of the the quasi-arbitrary placement of the M4 gas block?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 60-Driver:
@coregon

Is this one of those special contract 10.5" guns?  (barrel & handguard def look shorter)

https://i.imgur.com/CNvIZaJ.png

Also, you mentioned an 11" barrel as an available config.  Is it really 11" now or does 11" = 11.5"?

View Quote

Yes, GT is shooting a contract gun.

Apologies - they are 11.5”, not 11”.  I got lazy for a second
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Me finding out a LT handguard doesn't fit on a Virtus:

Ah well, I'll get one eventually.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't find this info - the BCG is clearly different on the gen 3. Is it compatible with the gen 2/virtus?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sea-Foam:
I can't find this info - the BCG is clearly different on the gen 3. Is it compatible with the gen 2/virtus?
View Quote

MAC video shows him swapping BCG from LT into his Virtus and firing rounds. patreon only at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

MAC video shows him swapping BCG from LT into his Virtus and firing rounds. patreon only at the moment.
View Quote

Hmm... I wonder if that would make drop in AR triggers compatible. Did he have to swap the barrel as well?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Hmm... I wonder if that would make drop in AR triggers compatible. Did he have to swap the barrel as well?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

no barrel swap on camera, just dropped in the carrier and bolt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Will the 300BO Spear LT replace the Rattler?

Also, what's the demand for 7.62x39 with those weird AR mags?  If it was AK mag compatible I could understand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#15]
New SIG MCX SPEAR LT rifle in 5.56 for civilian market! The little brother to the Sig M5.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
With just 6oz, new handguard, ambi bolt release in diff I’ll keep my virtus, I actually don’t mind the handguard, but would consider maybe if I got gunbroker prices for my virtus and retail price for spear… but I have a feeling it will be the  other way around for a few years atleast… they have been making virtus for years and you still can’t hardly find one unless it’s at a auction site…. Who knows Sigg might be getting ready to dump 1 million on the civilian market and back off of military market

As of now I’ll just keep these
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m not investing any more money into pistols till this nfa pistol ruling goes away… feel bad for all the people who sbr’d sig lowers and now they have the new high speed ami bolt catch lower
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I am glad that the only thing not compatible with previous gens is the handguard, i still remember the bolt and barrel extension change they made previously.  This handguard looks like an improvement in the ergonomics, it takes ar15 triggers, bolt release on the right side, and the biggest thing is weight savings which hopefully gets it back to original MCX weight.  I like sig improving on the design just sucks for us when old and new parts are not interchangeable.  Need to run one myself before any conclusions are made.  Overall i like the mcx/virtus/spear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By matai:
Will the 300BO Spear LT replace the Rattler?

Also, what's the demand for 7.62x39 with those weird AR mags?  If it was AK mag compatible I could understand.
View Quote
A lot of gun makers are hesitant to make a rifle that accepts AK mags, because then people will blame them for issues caused by out-of-spec or simply badly made or worn out AK mags. Better to design a high-end gun around a mag that actually works and is high quality.

Honestly the argument to use an ancient and wildly variable-quality mag makes little sense in the real world. No one is actually going around picking up mags from the battlefield and modern magazines just aren't that expensive next to a gun of this price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lordhuck:
Wait...do some people actually care if a 5.56 barrel is 10.5" instead of 11" ?   I thought that 10.5" isn't optimized for anything other than being the shortest length you can cut down an M4 barrel because of the the quasi-arbitrary placement of the M4 gas block?
View Quote

I prefer 10.3 as well. Have been using them professionally for a while.  The dwell time argument is overblown for the ar15 and holds no water when designing an operating system from the ground up as engineers are free to place the gas block where ever.  

@coregon will the 10.5 in guns be available to LE dealers for officer purchase?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

I prefer 10.3 as well. Have been using them professionally for a while.  The dwell time argument is overblown for the ar15 and holds no water when designing an operating system from the ground up as engineers are free to place the gas block where ever.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
Originally Posted By lordhuck:

Possibly, honestly not sure.  There's plenty of demand without them going 1-off on certain SKU's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Will all variants/SKUs release together or specific ones in staggered timelines?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#25]
according to sig rep they have a warehouse full of them and are available at distributors the day the youtube vid hit, run down to you local gun shop and they will have them lined up like hotcakes lol

@ 4:20 time

https://youtu.be/_bWlcDbZ4e0

The SIG MCX Spear LT: New MCX, Old Caliber...
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
new sig video

https://youtu.be/shrbx7GYfW4
Introducing the MCX-SPEAR-LT
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GrAvril:
If the glass stuffs made in Philippines or Japan they should say, some reason doesnt rub me like made in China does
View Quote
Who gives shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Me finding out a LT handguard doesn't fit on a Virtus:
https://media0.giphy.com/media/8TNHNwBEhhc4g/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d0c22625e65e977c64d11798ec70b14d19bb50a7&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Ah well, I'll get one eventually.
View Quote
You can go with a Midwest.  That is a good one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like they added steel inserts to the qd cups on the lower.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I really want the x39 version.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
any idea when upper standalone will be available? Also can we elaborate on who those special contract 10.5"s are going to??
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By zinny103090:
any idea when upper standalone will be available?
View Quote

Maybe I missed it but, are the new LT uppers compatible with a Virtus lower?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

View Quote

yup, everything except the handguard
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

They said the only thing not backwards compatible was the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
Who gives shit.
View Quote

Quite a lot of people
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Good news. Looks like a 300BO LT upper is in my future.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Im betting the handguard will interchange if you swap out the handguard link. I recently purchased a handguard from sig and they sent handguard with the new Spear Lt link insralled and it wouldnt work. They sent me the correct handguard link and it worked. Until I received the correct link it would stop same as it did in MACS video.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By gonnasellstuff:
Im betting the handguard will interchange if you swap out the handguard link. I recently purchased a handguard from sig and they sent handguard with the new Spear Lt link insralled and it wouldnt work. They sent me the correct handguard link and it worked. Until I received the correct link it would stop same as it did in MACS video.
View Quote

Interesting. Can you throw up some comparison images of the links?

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#39]
in macs video @around 18:55 you can see the new spear has a lighting cut/relief where the new handguard slides into place for the screws to lock it down, you can see the virtus has a bulge or non shaved down channel that is raised... im assuming the spear is shaved for a channel for the new handguard and the virtus is to thick with no channel to slide into.. relief cut at around 11oclock to the pin for barrel alignment... looks as if you could trim the virtus to relive that area... im pretty sure he said the under barrel link was the same

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:24:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gonnasellstuff] [#40]
Originally Posted By Bigchillin83:
in macs video @around 18:55 you can see the new spear has a lighting cut/relief where the new handguard slides into place for the screws to lock it down, you can see the virtus has a bulge or non shaved down channel that is raised... im assuming the spear is shaved for a channel for the new handguard and the virtus is to thick with no channel to slide into.. relief cut at around 11oclock to the pin for barrel alignment... looks as if you could trim the virtus to relive that area... im pretty sure he said the under barrel link was the same
View Quote

Yes I bet you are right. Not going to be the Handguard link.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
handguard link and barrel lockup, (all stuff in that area) has to be the same for it to be compadible... the upper section is the only area i can see that isnt the same that allows it to slide into place...
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gonnasellstuff] [#42]
I drilled and tapped and put a bolt in my Virtus Midwest Industries handguard over a year ago and it works great. I just used the Magpul 10-24 bolts. Locks up tight. Easy as can be to do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#43]
any idea when upper standalone will be available? Also can we elaborate on who those special contract 10.5"s are going to??
View Quote

From watching several videos about the new upgrade, a good bit seems driven from feedback from British Special operations.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Curious as to why they settled on an 11.5 inch length for the 7.62X39 short uppers.  I would have much preferred a 9 inch upper like the 300 blackout guns.  Perhaps a gas system issue?

I really wonder how much of a ramp up, Sig put into production for these things.  I have a feeling its going to be Gunbroker or bust for years.  I guess we will see.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By gonnasellstuff:
I drilled and tapped and put a bolt in my Virtus Midwest Industries handguard over a year ago and it works great. I just used the Magpul 10-24 bolts. Locks up tight. Easy as can be to do.
https://i.imgur.com/W4bkhGQ.jpg
View Quote

I like that
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#46]
What I really want to see is sig actually settle on a single version of the mcx so the aftermarket can confidently proceed to make parts that will remain compatible into he future. I would like to see a variety of barrel and handguard lengths like you can get with an AR, in particular. Overall this looks great and it interests me a lot, but I can't imagine it replacing anyone's preferred AR with a barrel length between 11.5 and 14.5 inches. I'm also interested in seeing barrel lengths between 16" and 20". If they ever stop releasing new and improved versions of the mcx, maybe that can become a reality. Alternatively, I don't want them to stop too soon and not release the best base platform they can.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#47]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Curious as to why they settled on an 11.5 inch length for the 7.62X39 short uppers.  I would have much preferred a 9 inch upper like the 300 blackout guns.  Perhaps a gas system issue?

I really wonder how much of a ramp up, Sig put into production for these things.  I have a feeling its going to be Gunbroker or bust for years.  I guess we will see.
View Quote

Truth be told I was thinking the same. I kind of wanted something like the Bren 2 9.05" 7.62x39. I would set it up like a GIGN clone except based on the MCX instead of Bren.

I'm really hoping Lancer makes a new SD handguard. I love my Legacy handguard but it has a bit of movement to it if you try to induce it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
What I really want to see is sig actually settle on a single version of the mcx so the aftermarket can confidently proceed to make parts that will remain compatible into he future. I would like to see a variety of barrel and handguard lengths like you can get with an AR, in particular. Overall this looks great and it interests me a lot, but I can't imagine it replacing anyone's preferred AR with a barrel length between 11.5 and 14.5 inches. I'm also interested in seeing barrel lengths between 16" and 20". If they ever stop releasing new and improved versions of the mcx, maybe that can become a reality. Alternatively, I don't want them to stop too soon and not release the best base platform they can.
View Quote

The barrel mounting design hasn't changed, you literally can take a Legacy barrel/bolt and mount them into the Virtus or even Rattler line of uppers. Just make sure to have the proper bolt for the proper barrel and the spring rod that works with the intended piston design (Legacy/Virtus/Rattler).

Sig has done rather well with keeping parts interchangeable between the generations of the MCX.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I am a self admitted MCX fanboy, so I am biased.

But I just don’t see all of the arguments about generations and parts interchangeability.

One has to assume that any platform with grow and evolve over the years. So when a new version comes out, it’s a blessing when parts are at least partially backward compatible.

The other option is to upgrade to a new gun and sell the old one for nearly as much as you paid for it. Or stay with the one you have.

These are not planned obsolescence situations like you see with phones and other tech. Re-engineering for added capabilities will limit compatibility.

Hopefully I’m not coming off as an elitist, and I realize I am in a different situation than most shooters. I do try an put myself in consumers shoes as much as possible.

Originally Posted By Zerlak:

The barrel mounting design hasn't changed, you literally can take a Legacy barrel/bolt and mount them into the Virtus or even Rattler line of uppers. Just make sure to have the proper bolt for the proper barrel and the spring rod that works with the intended piston design (Legacy/Virtus/Rattler).

Sig has done rather well with keeping parts interchangeable between the generations of the MCX.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By goloud:
I am a self admitted MCX fanboy, so I am biased.

But I just don't see all of the arguments about generations and parts interchangeability.

One has to assume that any platform with grow and evolve over the years. So when a new version comes out, it's a blessing when parts are at least partially backward compatible.

The other option is to upgrade to a new gun and sell the old one for nearly as much as you paid for it. Or stay with the one you have.

These are not planned obsolescence situations like you see with phones and other tech. Re-engineering for added capabilities will limit compatibility.

Hopefully I'm not coming off as an elitist, and I realize I am in a different situation than most shooters. I do try an put myself in consumers shoes as much as possible.

View Quote
I am not particularly a fan of the mcx platform, but yes, this.

Like garand thumb points out in his video, it's better than the Scar which was released and then never updated again.

No versions to worry about with the Scar platform for something like 15 years and then they finally made one improvement.

Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top