Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2023 6:52:59 AM EDT
I have the Walther/Umarex model coming in. Would prefer some sort of reflex sight over the irons.

For those who have one of these, what mount are you using?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The first generation of this mount: https://hkparts.net/product/hk-mp5-22-scope-mount-hk-walther-umarex-p2389.htm/  

A lot of folks online recommended just using an airsoft mount but after breaking two of the cheap pieces of junk (the clamps) I bought the HKParts mount and it has been gtg with a Primary Arms red dot.  CDNN used to put the mags on sale- if you ever find them on sale stock up since it's easy to empty them quickly.  It has an adjustable recoil system on it for standard to hypervelocity loads but I've never adjusted mine and it's run everything I've put in it.  It's definitely a fun gun to do .22 run and gun style shooting with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
The first generation of this mount: https://hkparts.net/product/hk-mp5-22-scope-mount-hk-walther-umarex-p2389.htm/  

A lot of folks online recommended just using an airsoft mount but after breaking two of the cheap pieces of junk (the clamps) I bought the HKParts mount and it has been gtg with a Primary Arms red dot.  CDNN used to put the mags on sale- if you ever find them on sale stock up since it's easy to empty them quickly.  It has an adjustable recoil system on it for standard to hypervelocity loads but I've never adjusted mine and it's run everything I've put in it.  It's definitely a fun gun to do .22 run and gun style shooting with.
View Quote

Yeah, I've looked at that one. It seems to be the only one designed for the .22 MP5 model specifically. I've read the .22 model was sized/based on the airsoft model & not the 9mm real McCoy, so it's a notch smaller overall.

I saw the adjusting screw & read about it too. Hopefully, like you, I won't need to monkey with it.

Does the bolt come out the rear of the upper for cleaning?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#3]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

Yeah, I've looked at that one. It seems to be the only one designed for the .22 MP5 model specifically. I've read the .22 model was sized/based on the airsoft model & not the 9mm real McCoy, so it's a notch smaller overall.

I saw the adjusting screw & read about it too. Hopefully, like you, I won't need to monkey with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The problem I had with the two airsoft mounts I ordered (both recommended on other sites) was that, firstly, they were cast metal so one of them broke, and the second just didn't fit quite right and, IIRC, one of the clamps stripped the threading; mine was from the early batch of Walther guns that were imported so it's been some years since I bought it.  Mine has the fake, end of barrel style suppressor, not the SD version.  I picked up the fixed stock which now seems to be unobtanium for some reason, it definitely makes the gun easier to shoot although it's not bad at all with the collapsing stock and it's surprisingly accurate given the barrel is a very think tube and must be tensioned by screwing on the fake suppressor (it has a think barrel, a thin shroud and then the fake can- the manual warns not to overtighten them and IIRC there is an O ring you don't want to lose); the pistol version used the fake tri-lug to tension the barrel.  Supposedly the Umarex 416 pistol barrel can be used to SBR it, but they're also unobtanium) but there are several companies that will convert them too.  I put real HK pins and the magwell sling mount from HK parts on it and have one of HK's funky canvas slings (they used to be inexpensive); I've used it once and don't like it, preferring a more modern style sling.      

I've shot several models of real MP5 (semi and full auto) but never handled them at the same time and place as my .22 so I can't really say other than, to my recollection, they feel about the same in the hand.  Obviously recoil, action, etc. are different but handling and operation are "close enough" given what it is if that makes sense.  I'd like to SBR mine, but really haven't been shooting it enough the last few years to justify the costs.  

This video covers breaking it down and cleaning well. The manual does tell you how to break it down though.
H&K mp5 22lr disassembly and reassembly for cleaning!

Here's a video I found showing the differences bewteen the older and newer versions:
New HK MP5 22: Umarex vs. Walther
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I had read the on-line manual but it (I think) said to not go past a certain point in disassembly & that was pulling the pins out? I've read it wrong, I'm sure.

As for the Walther vs Umarex, I thought Walther owns Umarex now?

From what I see on GB, there's the GSG model & Umarex models. Nor will the mags swap back & forth for the two.

I owned a GSG model when they first came out. I added a couple of rolls of pennies to the stock for weight & then foam filled it to solidify the feel. Then I traded it off.    
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a Battle Steel on mine:
https://botach.com/battle-steel-hk-mounts/
I really like it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
I really like it.
View Quote

That looks good & is decently priced. I like this one! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I had read the on-line manual but it (I think) said to not go past a certain point in disassembly & that was pulling the pins out? I've read it wrong, I'm sure.

As for the Walther vs Umarex, I thought Walther owns Umarex now?

From what I see on GB, there's the GSG model & Umarex models. Nor will the mags swap back & forth for the two.

I owned a GSG model when they first came out. I added a couple of rolls of pennies to the stock for weight & then foam filled it to solidify the feel. Then I traded it off.    
View Quote

The Walther/Umarex thing is confusing- as near as I can tell Umarex took over Walther, or more specifically brought them both under the PW Group banner after acquiring Walther from S&W.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.  They have licensing agreements with a lot of firearms companies to produce airgun versions of Colt, Browning, Beretta, HK, etc. and IIRC, they produce(d) their own line of .22s as well.  

GSG, German Sport Guns, is a separate German company making primarily .22s.  They produced an unlicensed copy of the MP5, got sued and had to change the physical appearance, but still produced a cosmetic "parts kit" to convert the newer, post lawsuit, models to the more HK looking version (I have no idea how HK sued them for the design, maybe it was just the markings?)- I think CDNN sold the last of those kits, really inexpensively.  By all accounts I read, the GSG guns are much cheaper feeling and, at least the examples I've handled (two or three of them), that definitely seemed to be the case.  The Umarex looks and feels more like the actual gun even though it's just another "pot metal" blowback .22 inside the metal MP5 "receiver"- the actual .22 receiver that has the serial number is inside of the shell and the is visible through an opening.  The fixed stock is a bit longer than the collapsing version and definitely easier to shoot, but they seem to have discontinued them last I checked and a real HK stock won't fit but I can't remember why not.  

I pulled out the box to mine but, like an idiot, I must have stuck the manual somewhere else as I can't find it at the moment to look at the disassembly instructions.  Luckily it's never needed any adjustments no matter what I've shot through it and it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.  I can't recall ever getting it to bumpfire, and knowing me I'm sure I tried at least once or twice; I think the weight and having so little recoil probably had something to do with that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]

The Walther/Umarex thing is confusing- as near as I can tell Umarex took over Walther, or more specifically brought them both under the PW Group banner after acquiring Walther from S&W.  
View Quote

It was my understanding Walther bought Umarex, not the other way around?
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]

The manual does tell you how to break it down though.
View Quote

My manual only went as far as removing the take-down pins & no further. Clearly their lawyers wrote the newest version of said manual.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like it.
View Quote

Picatinney base is out of stock.      
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

The Walther/Umarex thing is confusing- as near as I can tell Umarex took over Walther, or more specifically brought them both under the PW Group banner after acquiring Walther from S&W.  

I'm just going off the Wiki page:

In 1993 the Carl Walther GmbH firm was acquired by Umarex, who continued to manufacture under the Walther name in Ulm and Arnsberg. In 2010, Röhm Gesellschaft, the firearms division of Röhm GmbH was also acquired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umarex

I guess it's right.  

You may be entirely correct about the owner's manual- I have no idea why I would have taken it out of the cardboard box other than it may (hopefully) be in the Rubbermaid tote with the magazines and stuff for the gun from last time I shot it (which has been quite a while).  
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Took my rifle out today & sighted it in with irons. It was pretty darn close already, just needed a dab of windage movement.

Went to grab a bulk box of CCI ammo, picked up what I thought was an empty Burris box. Had an old Tru Glo red/green red dot in it. Now I don't have to buy a optic.  

This gun is super fun to shoot & had no mals in the 4-5 mags I shot. Would buy one again, which is the highest recommendation I can give a gun.

Only downside I can find is there's no option for my .22 can.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
There have been some discussions on cutting down the barrel and the consensus seems to be Don't Do It as it's a sleeved barrel.

Swapping in a pistol barrel has been done but that was by someone who already had a pistol, no source for barrels that I'm aware of.

The rimfire HK licensed MP5s are smaller than their rimfire big brothers but larger than the airsoft copies.

I got my mount off Amazon many years ago, just a cheap knockoff but has held zero these many years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I REALLY want an A2 buttstock for my Walther MP5.22 (older, not the newer version) but I have given-up on trying to find something that fits
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
I REALLY want an A2 buttstock for my Walther MP5.22 (older, not the newer version) but I have given-up on trying to find something that fits
View Quote

They only made them for a short time, they were kind of hard to find even at the time and I've seen them sell for ridiculous prices for a hollow piece of plastic.  The collapsing stock is much cooler looking but the fixed stock feels a lot better and is easier to shoot; I've got both.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]

They only made them for a short time, they were kind of hard to find even at the time and I've seen them sell for ridiculous prices for a hollow piece of plastic.  The collapsing stock is much cooler looking but the fixed stock feels a lot better and is easier to shoot; I've got both.  
View Quote

If you want to split the difference, there are UMP style folding stocks available.  I adapted a B&T to fit mine, but there are cheaper OTS options now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, I'm curious how you did that, it ought to be the best of both worlds- a folder with a better length than the collapsing stock.    I've seen where folks have modified various airsoft MP5 stocks to work, it's only a .22 so they seem to work just fine since there's practically no recoil and it's not a serious use gun anyways.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#18]
OK, I'm curious how you did that, it ought to be the best of both worlds- a folder with a better length than the collapsing stock.    I've seen where folks have modified various airsoft MP5 stocks to work, it's only a .22 so they seem to work just fine since there's practically no recoil and it's not a serious use gun anyways.
View Quote

UMP style side-folder
B&T side-folder
Basically the B&T stock is shorter.

Before these came out, I took a B&T stock and modified it to fit an SBT522 adapter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't know they were making them for the .22s- if I had the pistol version I'd jump on that brace.  I'd like to SBR mine but I don't shoot it enough to justify the costs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Such a fun little .22. Oddly, more reliable than any of my 10/22’s. Mine is an sbr and I’d love to find an A3 style stock for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

I agree, I'd love to have the fixed stock but they are ridiculously priced for what they are.  I expected HK/Walther/Umarex would start making them again but nope.  I do like the collapsible stock on my SD though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#22]

UMP style side-folder
B&T side-folder
Basically the B&T stock is shorter.

Before these came out, I took a B&T stock and modified it to fit an SBT522 adapter.
View Quote

So, will these fit the earlier production Walther made .22MP5 or only the current ones? I’m not sure if there is a difference or not.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#23]

So, will these fit the earlier production Walther made .22MP5 or only the current ones? I’m not sure if there is a difference or not.
View Quote

The earlier ones were actually also made by Umarex under the Walther banner so in theory they should fit, but I never saw anyone confirm that outside of the Q&A for these stocks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Aim has the SBT522 braces on sale for $119.99.
https://aimsurplus.com/products/sb-tactical-sbt5-22-side-folding-pistol-brace-for-mp5-22lr
View Quote

Wished I had gotten one of these instead of the collapsable one my FFL buddy MADE me get. It wobbles like a mofo.    

Thanks for posting, FishKepr.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone tried the Magpul collapsing stock on the HK Mp5 .22?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SnprPSG1:
Has anyone tried the Magpul collapsing stock on the HK Mp5 .22?
View Quote

I can try it later tonight, but I assume it won’t fit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#29]

I can try it later tonight, but I assume it won’t fit.
View Quote

Thanks for checking
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:42:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#30]
I use an Sig Holosun on a battle steel ultra low mount. Very pleased with the setup for ~$175 bucks.

https://botach.com/battlesteel-hk-mp5-hk33-hk53-low-profile-mounts/

Also, you can easily get the barrel chopped down. Mine is cut to back under the front sight and was threaded metric to use the standard thread adapter. I have a 22lr can the 3d printed fake shroud there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#31]

I can try it later tonight, but I assume it won't fit.
View Quote
Magpul doesn't fit, None of them fit I've found. I've tried a variety of airsoft and real steels stocks. The actual channels are wider than the rails go into. So the only way to get it to fit is to mill out the channels the rails slide over or mill the arms down so far they probably won't latch. The B&T arms will fit, but you need to grind down the plastic tabs at the rear that ride in the arm slots for it to fit on. I haven't decided to do that yet on a $500 stock. And my 22lr is sbr'd and the markings are in the channel so I don't want to throw it on mill and start cutting on everything until I know I won't run into another issue with the fit.

and because the back of the 22lr is basically flat with the internal housing in it, if the stock housing projects at all it still won't fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top