Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 3:07:44 PM EDT
I recently bought a used/new Ruger/Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70 at my friend's pawn shop.  I removed the rear sight to install scope rings and noticed the screw that holds in the rear sight also holds down the rail in the rear.  I mounted a scope ring and saw I could lift the rail a little without the rear sight and screw installed.  Does anyone know if there is a small screw to install to hold down the rear of the rail or will I have to use high scope rings and leave the rear sight installed.  Hopes this makes sense.  Thanks for all the hlep.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the old screw to a real hardware store and buy a new one of the proper length.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
On JM and Remington guns the scope base screws are an oddball thread pitch that you are unlikely to find anywhere except for marlin mounts.  Unsure if ruger uses the same threads for the scope bases.  Be careful putting them in - the receiver above the bolt is thin and it’s easy to strip the threads.  

If you don’t need the extra length of the XS rail you can get a cheap scope base to replace it.  
If you need the length then find a screw.  

Another option could be to remove the peep from the base and reinstall the base without the peep.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top