Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2023 8:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty]
I picked this guy up today at the fleamarket.  Ive been looking for a deal on a 45-70 for a little while now and although I'm not thrilled with the see through rings or the ported barrel.  The leupold scope is a nice bonus and its ready to shoot some deer next weekend.  I got him down to $725 which I felt was a good enough deal to take it home.

A quick google search say's it's a 1998, the first year of the ported barrel.  But not sure if that is accurate....it also said that they only did porting a few years before the lawyers got word of lead shooting sideways and hitting people standing around...lol

Attachment Attached File

Changed out the see through rings and put on the DNZ mount.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the dark side.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! Here's mine with a few mods.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That was a steal. If you don't like the ported bbl. You should be able to trade for a non-ported one. I would swap out the fudd-see-thru rings for something else if leaving that scope on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet find! I had a GS a few years back I wish I hadn’t let go… I like the the straight stocks. I currently have a Trapper and have no regrets with that one, but would love a G or GS again. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:
That was a steal. If you don't like the ported bbl. You should be able to trade for a non-ported one. I would swap out the fudd-see-thru rings for something else if leaving that scope on.
View Quote
Yeah I'm a bit undecided on the scope.  Its a 2.5x which is not bad for a woods gun, but its a catch 22 on scopes on lever guns.  Lever guns handle so great, and once you scope them it reduces the handling.  But as I age the iron sights in the are getting harder and harder to pick up, and at sunset as the last light of the day is quicky fading a good scope is a huge advantage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
I picked this guy up today at the fleamarket.  Ive been looking for a deal on a 45-70 for a little while now and although I'm not thrilled with the see through rings or the ported barrel.  The leupold scope is a nice bonus and its ready to shoot some deer next weekend.  I got him down to $725 which I felt was a good enough deal to take it home.

A quick google search said it was a 1998, the first year of the ported barrel guide series.  But not sure if that is accurate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102712/FOTO_20231209_191923_jpg-3054885.JPG
View Quote

I have a GS model in SS with a ported barrel. Mine is from 2001. I just bought this recently and I paid almost twice what you paid. You got a hell of deal!

Have you read this article?

Might want to hang on to that ported barrel model.

https://1895gunner.com/bulletpoints/bulletpoints-21.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome rifle and awesome price. My father in law has a Guide Gun with the ported barrel. I ended up getting one after seeing his. Mine doesn’t have the ported barrel though. I love shooting mine.
Great score
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
…but its a catch 22 on scopes on lever guns.  Lever guns handle so great, and once you scope them it reduces the handling.
View Quote

This is the answer to the question that you didn’t ask
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maine_11B_to_Nurse] [#9]
That was a steal! Mine is the same vintage, I think I bought it new for around $650? And that was without scope or accessories.

Mine has seen a lot of Alaskan boatrides and beaches, as well as hundreds of miles of ATV rides here in Maine, so it isn't as pretty anymore, but it has seen many hundreds of rounds of sturdy loads and keeps on ticking.

ETA- I got a safety delete. Not used to push button safeties on a lever and kept tripping it accidentally.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:57:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#10]
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:
That was a steal! Mine is the same vintage, I think I bought it new for around $650? And that was without scope or accessories.

Mine has seen a lot of Alaskan boatrides and beaches, as well as hundreds of miles of ATV rides here in Maine, so it isn't as pretty anymore, but it has seen many hundreds of rounds of sturdy loads and keeps on ticking.

ETA- I got a safety delete. Not used to push button safeties on a lever and kept tripping it accidentally.
View Quote
Yeah, Ill have to get one.  I did the delete to my 1894 and its great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Great steal, don't be too concerned by the porting, load up some 420 gr. bullets over a healthy dose of RE 7 and you'll grow to like the porting.

You're right about the see through scope rings, I detest those, best way to change a good cheek weld into a jaw weld.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By This_Is_Necessary:

I have a GS model in SS with a ported barrel. Mine is from 2001. I just bought this recently and I paid almost twice what you paid. You got a hell of deal!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67450/IMG_0891-3055018.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A quick google search said it was a 1998, the first year of the ported barrel guide series.  But not sure if that is accurate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102712/FOTO_20231209_191923_jpg-3054885.JPG

My real complaint with the ports is the extra noise. They are substantially louder than the standards. I think back in the day Marlin would swap them out for cheap or free. They are impossible to shoot next to
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

My real complaint with the ports is the extra noise. They are substantially louder than the standards. I think back in the day Marlin would swap them out for cheap or free. They are impossible to shoot next to
View All Quotes

Taking it to the range tomorrow morning for the first time.

Hope the place isn’t crowded
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Taking it to the range tomorrow morning for the first time.

Hope the place isn’t crowded
View Quote

Make some new friends!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#15]
I have its shiney brother, bought it new when they first hit the store.

Attachment Attached File

The first scope mounting I tried put it pretty high, not as high as yours tho.  Kinda sucked getting bopped on the chin, so I fabbed up a long piece of low pic rail from brownells and mounted the 2x Leo low and forward.  Now you can buy such a rail off the shelf.

Lever was sharp on the edges and would definitely cut you under recoil.  Rounded those off, easy to do on SS, and polished the file marks.  Even with the scope lower, still needed a bit of rise on the stock to get a good cheek weld, so the neoprene sleeve was added over 3/8” of foam taped to the stock.  

Good score, I think those usually go for over 1k.
Mine is far more accurate than it should be.  Mostly handloads, but even the factory hornady rubber tip stuff will go 3/4” at 50 yards, handloads do a little better.   2x scope blows for accuracy but is excellent on elk.  They just fall over with a shoulder hit from my 405 gr JSP load at 1500 fps.

I should really get a good low power glass with custom BDC reticle with marks to 300, or one I can dial on there.   It is just rare I get a shot on elk in the timber beyond 100, and I picked up a ruger sfar 308 this year that will probably end up being a primary elk gun. That thing is nice, so far.

Damn, that Marlin just carries so easy and is the lightest elk gun around with that horsepower and size.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That round is very easy to reload if you care to.  Be aware the gummy tip brass is shorter than standard as the gummy tip bullets are longer than most.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#16]
Took off the see though and installed the DNZ I had from the scope removal on my 444m.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Do you use one of these scope mounts @Morgan321?
The scopes they give link to no longer work. Wondering which scope would be ideal?

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:
Do you use one of these scope mounts @Morgan321?
The scopes they give link to no longer work. Wondering which scope would be ideal?
View Quote

Yes, with the 2.5x20 fixed Leupold.  If their link is old try search8ng for the scope?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Good price on the gun, congratulations and welcome to the ported club.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
How’s that go wild working out?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#21]
This thing shoots pretty good, but the trigger is very heavy.  I don't remember my other lever guns having this stiff of spring.  

But I'm super happy with this 100 yard 3 shot group (300gn Sierra bullets, 2250fps, h4198)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#22]
The ported barrel was only around the first couple of years.  Mine has the port's, bought it new in 2001 I believe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By telsonman:
How’s that go wild working out?
View Quote

A little finicky with mag insertion. Like be careful pushing the magpul 5 in to far on an open bolt, or it wedges in there tight.
The factory 3 loaded will not lock in on a closed bolt.
Incredible accuracy.

And yeah, like the OP, the Marlin is a really accurate gun too.
I may pursue getting a new LPV with good dials.  I think if a guy knew his come up numbers he could probably get good hits out to the top of the dial range.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#24]
I saw a used .45-70 1895 CB 20" at a LGS yesterday.  Full length mag tube, no ports $1999.  I didn't look to see if it was a JM stamped version.  It was in perfect condition, possibly unfired.

eta: it was labeled CB, but I have not seen one with a barrel that short.  Mine is a 26".
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I have its shiney brother, bought it new when they first hit the store.

That round is very easy to reload if you care to.  Be aware the gummy tip brass is shorter than standard as the gummy tip bullets are longer than most.
View Quote
I agree, but don't ever forget to lube a case and never run a case into a 30-06 seating die.  I ordered a Lee FCD that had an incorrect die in a correctly labeled box.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I saw a used .45-70 1895 CB 20" at a LGS yesterday.  Full length mag tube, no ports $1999.  I didn't look to see if it was a JM stamped version.  It was in perfect condition, possibly unfired.

eta: it was labeled CB, but I have not seen one with a barrel that short.  Mine is a 26".
View Quote

That’s insane.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I agree, but don't ever forget to lube a case and never run a case into a 30-06 seating die.  I ordered a Lee FCD that had an incorrect die in a correctly labeled box.  Shit happens.
View Quote
I've been having a hell of a time setting up 45-70 in a Dillon 550. Powder drop sometimes gets hung up, some times over bells.
Also the Lee crimp does not crimp! Is this the issue? I'm taking it all to Dillon tomorrow to hopefully get help. I set up 45-70 a few years back and can't seem to get it this time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The G is the most balanced and best handling of the 1895s. That’s one I wish I had kept. My SBL is awesome looking but a pig to hunt with. Your choice of scope is right on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#29]

I pick up my guide gun a few years ago .
It is one of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I don’t typically shoot next to my rifles— I’m usually a couple feet behind the muzzle
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#31]
Originally Posted By streetstar:

I don’t typically shoot next to my rifles— I’m usually a couple feet behind the muzzle
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By streetstar:

Oh I’m familiar with people that have no awareness and inconvenience everyone around them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Oh I’m familiar with people that have no awareness and inconvenience everyone around them.
View Quote

They’re guns.  Most are loud.  Some are louder than others.    (This is the point where if you and I were together at the range, I would shrug my shoulders and say “what’re ya gonna do” And buy you a cup of coffee while we waited out the loud guy knowing it should only take maybe 6 rounds before the guy gets his scope sighted in, or tires of shooting a 45/70)

A .300 Mag with a real muzzle brake is a far bigger offender than the OP,s Guide Gun.     Gotta go muffs and plugs together

But this is a timely conversation as I was at an indoor range just last night - walked in with silicone plugs deployed - then heard the nastiest blast I had heard in a while and looked a few lanes over at some younger fellow who, judging from the fact that his arms were pointing at the ceiling (couldn’t make out the gun at the time) looked like those videos where some clown hands his 120 lb girlfriend a S&W 29 then laughs.

I had to step back into the range vestibule to double up my ears.   Worst I’d heard since someone brought a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine to the range.    Turned out to be one of the scandium ported snub nosed .357’s.      Sheesh that thing was loud -  but without the porting I’d wager that young fella would have lost complete control of that thing

While I applaud anyone under 30 who seeks out revolvers and leverguns in this day and age — I’m wishing they would start out with a nice heavy Model 10 bull barrel
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I have lots of loud guns and I always try and take steps to be polite at a range. My 50’s aren’t really range friendly unless it’s big and they can shove you down at the end away from everyone. My AR10 used to clear people out especially if we were under a roof same with the 500’s.

I’m just saying it’s a concern and after shooting ported and non ported guide guns I’ll stick with the non ported guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

That Sounds like the guy who brought his kids to the range, with no ear pro.  His excuse was “we are only shooting a .22”.

While his poor kids are holding their hands over their ears.  Held up 8 shooters while we rounded up plugs for the kids.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]

That Sounds like the guy who brought his kids to the range, with no ear pro.  His excuse was “we are only shooting a .22”.

While his poor kids are holding their hands over their ears.  Held up 8 shooters while we rounded up plugs for the kids.
View All Quotes

I’ve done that a bunch. Used to keep a bucket of plugs for that purpose. Had some kids roll up at an outdoor shooting spot as I was leaving. Younger kid who looked a bit rough pulled out a pistol gripped shotgun and was showing it to his buddy. When he shot it he was grimacing. I stopped my car and took them over a couple pairs of plugs and showed them hot to put them in. I always take for granted growing up around solid gun people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had three ported Guide Guns over the years, two blued .45-70s and one blued .450 Marlin. Never kept any of them for more than a few years because honestly I'm just not a lever gun guy, I've tried getting into them but just can't.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
My old guy memory throws a fit when I think about a used lever gun for $725.

Of course these days it isn't a bad deal and with a decent brand scope is in the deal it is a home run.

I agree that the "See Thru" mounts should be tossed right in the trash (as the OP did) .

I generally go with the lyman peep on all my lever guns that are drilled to mount them . Got to admit that my 1895 has a scope on it. One of these days I need to do some load development , after I finish that I am not sure .

My 1895 is a full size rifle , If the roller coaster of lever gun prices ever calms a bit I sort of always wanted a Guide Gun
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#38]
That was a steal, congrats. I love my 1895G, mines a remlin but no issues with it, fit and finish is great, shoots and cycles perfect.

I bought it new in late 2016 for 550.00 on sale at Gander Mountain, was the display model.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#39]
That's cool!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Man, these lever guns are beautiful, just love em.  Makes me want more of them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By arjohnson:
That was a steal, congrats. I love my 1895G, mines a remlin but no issues with it, fit and finish is great, shoots and cycles perfect.

I bought it new in late 2016 for 550.00 on sale at Gander Mountain, was the display model.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMYHd5gB/1128009-F-DD96-41-F1-AEE2-9-CB08-FA6-B1-AF.jpg
View Quote

I had a Remlin 1895 just like it. Shot fine, but was not pleasant at all after a tube or two. Split the buttstock in half at about 150 RDS. Traded it off not long after that. I picked up a Browning High wall that was much smoother later on to fill that 45/70 itch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top