Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2024 11:28:56 PM EDT
Checked out a few Marlins and Henry’s last week. The actions on the Henry’s are much smoother. These are all brand new production rifles. What is Henry doing different?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:00:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
The Henry X model 44 mag groups about 4 to 6 inches at 100 yds . Same with the .357 X model. The single shot 44 Henry about half that. The Marlin 45-70 is sub MOA at 100 yds. I have not shot the all weather Henry which has a longer barrel than the X model. They are all fun and all capable of taking deer reliably. Smith and Wesson is also building a lever action. There are some Winchester lever actions still in production.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:
Checked out a few Marlins and Henry’s last week. The actions on the Henry’s are much smoother. These are all brand new production rifles. What is Henry doing different?
View Quote

Henry has been making the same gun the same way for a long time so their production process is stable and well ironed out.  
In the last 15 years Marlin has been bought, moved, went bankrupt, modernized their production line, went bankrupt again, got bought again, moved again, and then made major production line changes.  

Also there’s a lot of moving parts in a lever action so it’s common for them to be less than glass smooth when new and have more variability from one gun to the next.  Unless you get a complete turd any Marlin or Henry will smooth out quickly with a little use.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I own both a Smarlin and several henry rifles.  The Henry are definitely better rifles IMHO.  They have smoother actions, more precise fitting and are more accurate.    I did have one henry (a Big Boy Steel 44) that was not up to standards.   Henry replaced it and upgraded a few parts to make up.for the hassle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the opposite opinion of these it seems. I find the marlins to be more accurete. At least my JM guns. I have handled the new Marlins and the actions are tight but I think that is due to much better tolerances than a Henry. The henry guns work easier but are sloppier IMHO. The Marlin feels like a more precise piece. My henrys have not been that accurate although I kept one for suppressed shooting as I already had it threaded.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll take a Marlin every time over any others. Something about the Henrys I don't like, I can't put my finger on it but I pass. I'll take a brand new Smith over a Henry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m impressed you were able to check out a few lever action rifles.  I’ve only seen one rifle in years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
I own both a Smarlin and several henry rifles.  The Henry are definitely better rifles IMHO.  They have smoother actions, more precise fitting and are more accurate.    I did have one henry (a Big Boy Steel 44) that was not up to standards.   Henry replaced it and upgraded a few parts to make up.for the hassle.
View Quote

Remlin I've heard of, Smarlin?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By badguybuster:

Even Ruglin. Smarlin is a first for me too.

I own both. I had a hankering for a 45-70 a while back. I didn't care for the all-weather Henry at all compared to the 1895 SBL.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The Ruger made Marlins are supposed to be excellent but there's not a lot of models and calibers yet, it may end up what do you want and if you want to wait for it. My Henry .44 X is excellent with only 2 tiny flaws- the mlok slot is off (have seen this in other guns and videos, I have an RPP handguard to replace it with) and the back of the vertical part of the hammer ever so slightly contacts the upper tang. I bought it and a .22 about two years ago, I have read of issues with newer guns. Some people think Henry is rushing them out too fast. 🤷

I don't think I've seen any Marlin in a store for years, the only one I can remember handling is a stainless 336 my widowed mother's husband has. He doesn't have a lot of rounds through it, it's a little rough and he was impressed with my .44.
I handled a few Rossis a year ago, all were very smooth and seemed well put together. I'd consider a Rossi for .357 but the twist rates on .44 Henry's and Marlins are a little faster and .44+steel butt plate+bad shoulders seems like a bad combo.

I'd like to shoot a .454 Rossi someday; it's overkill for my needs but that's a lot of power in a handy gun and they're way cheaper than the BHA guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top