Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 8:51:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
What are your opinions regarding buying a new Mossberg 590 that's already optic cut for the 407k/507k/EPS Carry versus just putting a pic rail or specific RDS mount on it and any other optic?

Is a small optic like the 407k/507k/EPS mounted directly and lower better than a pic rail or specific mount?  Obviously it's a couple less screws but I'm wondering about the optic height and options.

What say you all?  I am very much not a shotgun expert.

Would love to hear some opinions and pros/cons.  Going to pass through Dahlonega so it's a good time to pick up a good deal.

I'm leaning towards the Thunder Ranch 590 but open to ideas.  Also leaning towards a 18.5" barrel because the primary purpose would be home defense in commie states.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I bought the Mossberg Thunder Ranch 590 guess we'll see if I made a terrible choice or not.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I was considering holding out for a Thunder Ranch 940 because it's brown lol, but biggest pro is the direct mount optic, like your new 590 Thunder Ranch version. Just got an A300 Ultima Patrol and wanted an optic. So I removed the rear sight, installed a Skalarworks Sync2 mount and chose a Holoson Paralow 503 which mimics an Aimpoint mini (got ACSS reticle).

I'm mentioning my experience because there are many other gun enthusiasts buying shotgun optic mounts that sit low as possible, are strong and have a good rep. Waye better than a rail mount. IMHO Mossberg nailed it with a direct mount optic for a shotgun. Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of several cases of the mount cover screws being put in so tight they break or strip out when trying to removed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
I have heard of several cases of the mount cover screws being put in so tight they break or strip out when trying to removed.
View Quote

Yeah I've heard about that, will proceed cautiously removing the plate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
View Quote

Just picked it up today.  Optic plate screws came out just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top