Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 10:23:34 AM EDT
I recently purchased a used Mossberg 930. 18.5 inch barrel dead sight. I the gun is not reliable. What ammo do you recommend?  Black aces is definitely out. I used slugs & 00 buck from old stock.  Didn’t run well. Seems to run ok with the slugs. All 2/3 inch shells.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this might be an issue with your specific gun. My 930 eats everything I feed it. High power, low power, slugs, buck, bird. Can’t remember if I put short shells through it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The one negative thing I read about the 930s is that they foul easily and do not run well if not clean.  That was one of the big improvements Mossberg made with the 940, it function while very dirty without cleaning.  

Try stripping the 930 and doing a deep cleaning and lubricating.  See how it runs then.  If still troublesome, call Mossberg.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HomeAtLast] [#3]
Clean it throughly and replace the OEM spacer tube with a OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube in Storm Gray (Multi-Use).

Mossberg copied its design for the 940.

https://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_marine.htm
Also, get a Boron Nitride coated gas cylinder
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/16801bn

Mossberg JM-Pro - Failure to Extract FIXED
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
While I don't have one almost every gun I have seen or heard "didn't work when someone got it" needed to be cleaned and lubed.

Shotguns. Rifles. Handguns....doesn't matter. Almost all of them need to be clean and lubed to work right. There are exceptions but they are few and far between compared to ones that flat out stop working when dry and dirty.

Especially gas guns.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I just had it professionally cleaned by a gunsmith. I will try the after market part. Thanks for the feed back. If this fails to run the way I want, I’m going to buy a Berretta 1301.  I will just drop the cash.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LTMLT:
I just had it professionally cleaned by a gunsmith. I will try the after market part. Thanks for the feed back. If this fails to run the way I want, I’m going to buy a Berretta 1301.  I will just drop the cash.
View Quote

You'll like yourself more when you do this

Make sure your gunsmith understands the gas piston (around 7:40 in this video). The piston is actually 3 parts and they need to be spotless, to the point that the piston and its parts rattle when removed and shaken.
Mossberg 930 shotgun- Complete cleaning and disassembly with Jerry Miculek

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an early 930SPX.   The above covers it all.  My gun will start to choke around 400rounds.  Follow Jerry's cleaning video and the or3gun spacer.

Just cleaning the gun isn't the issue, you have to clean it the right way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont give up hope OP. Bought mine used at it eats everything i feed it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an older Gen 3 930 SPX. I put the OR3Gun parts in it and it eats everything. It did quit running on me once, but once I cleaned it well, including a deep clean of the trigger assy, it was back up to 100%.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine runs fine with light 7.5 field loads.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a brand new home defense model that I am making into an SPX model. I want to use the O3Rgun stuff.

There is a guy making some parts. I think the piston. He’s on Facebook. It’s SBE Precision Products who makes them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:33:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jackslack] [#12]
After installing the Or3gun parts I even SBS'd my 930 and did some recoil spring tube mods to shorten the buttstock.

Sorry, no pics. It is heavier for some reason than my full size 940 pro tactical. But I do have lots of goodies bolted on to it do HD use (light, red dot, sling, side saddle, thicker butt pad.)

About ~8.5-9 lbs when loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top