Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 7:03:10 AM EDT
Anyone here shoot a Mossberg 940 pro Turkey ?
Likes ?, Dislikes? A review???
I’m thinking of buying one and wanted opinions on the 940 pro system. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
For the money I’d buy the Beretta A300 Turkey. I’ve never had good luck with any 940 I’ve tried over the years, they weren’t bad, they just weren’t great either. Quality control at Mossberg can be hit or miss. A running joke around three gun has been the “JM” in 940 JM PRO stands for Jam Master. The Beretta A300 is a rock solid design and has been proven season after season, it cost the same and is a better gun IMO. That said the heart wants what the heart wants if you really want a 940, go for it.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/beretta-a300-ultima-turkey-realtree-edge-12-gauge-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1804264
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/beretta-a300-ultima-turkey-mossy-oak-bottomland-12-gauge-2-34in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1865732

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DOG556] [#2]
What I really like about the Jam Master ! Lol!!! Is the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:
For the money I’d buy the Beretta A300 Turkey. I’ve never had good luck with any 940 I’ve tried over the years, they weren’t bad, they just weren’t great either. Quality control at Mossberg can be hit or miss. A running joke around three gun has been the “JM” in 940 JM PRO stands for Jam Master. The Beretta A300 is a rock solid design and has been proven season after season, it cost the same and is a better gun IMO. That said the heart wants what the heart wants if you really want a 940, go for it.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/beretta-a300-ultima-turkey-realtree-edge-12-gauge-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1804264
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/beretta-a300-ultima-turkey-mossy-oak-bottomland-12-gauge-2-34in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1865732

View Quote

Over the years?  The 940 is a brand new gun with a totally new gas system that was just released so you couldn't have used it "for years".  You must be thinking about the 930, which HAS been around for years and needs to be clean to run reliably.  I also know that you're a beretta fanboy, so recommend them against anything else, regardless of the facts / situation.    

From what I've seen, the 940 is an excellent semi auto shotgun, and much better than the A300 (and the old 930 design it replaced).  The best shooter in the world uses a 940, which was built from direct input from him.  That counts for a lot!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOG556] [#4]
What chokes do these. 940 pro’s use? Any Mossberg choke or specific to the 940. I’d like to shoot buckshot and slugs occasionally out of this and cannot use those Turkey chokes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure they use Mossberg compatible chokes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#6]
Originally Posted By Blain:

Over the years?  The 940 is a brand new gun with a totally new gas system that was just released so you couldn't have used it "for years".  You must be thinking about the 930, which HAS been around for years and needs to be clean to run reliably.  I also know that you're a beretta fanboy, so recommend them against anything else, regardless of the facts / situation.    

From what I've seen, the 940 is an excellent semi auto shotgun, and much better than the A300 (and the old 930 design it replaced).  The best shooter in the world uses a 940, which was built from direct input from him.  That counts for a lot!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK318:

The 940 has been out since 2020. I know you like to follow me and others around and attempt to shit stir but once again you’re out of your depth.

2020 and it’s 2024, so yeah, years.

https://resources.mossberg.com/journal/mossberg-releases-940-pro-turkey-autoloading-shotguns
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So a beretta fan like you bought a 940 in 2020 on release, and have been "shooting it for years" since?  Sounds like you must really like it then!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#8]
So a beretta fan like you bought a 940 in 2020 on release, and have been "shooting it for years" since?  Sounds like you must really like it then!
View Quote

I realize you’re attempting to slide out from under exposing your dumb comment but I didn’t say that. You also keep claiming I’m a Beretta fan boy except you don’t know me. I own and have owned a lot of shotguns, Remington, Benelli, Mossberg, Beretta, Ruger and even an HK. Maybe you should stop digging. You’re embarrassing yourself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 940 waterfowl pro and i really like it. I'm looking at the turkey pro, and a pro tactical as well now haha. It's an awesome gun, and I highly value made in USA. As far as semi auto shotguns go, there aren't a lot of others available. But yes, the 940 uses the same optic rail and chokes as the mossberg 500, which I think is a super cool and handy feature.

With certain ammo, my 940 seems to not like to fire all the time. Just winchester waterfowl loads so far. I've been reading a little bit about the 930 having that issue, and guys will swap in extra power 10/22 hammer springs to fix the issue. But, I've ran a decent round count through mine, and I haven't had issues other than the 1 box of waterfowl loads so far.

I've read a number of accounts of guys with berettas and benellis turkey hunting and getting a failure to fire because they didn't drop the bolt hard enough to fully seat. On the 940 the bolt isn't rotating, so I bet that problem is eliminated.

I talked my uncle and my sister in law into buying a 940 on a recent hubting trip as well. If you're thinking about a 940, I recommend the 940.

Buy American, and leave the commie guns alone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
I have a 940 waterfowl pro and i really like it. I'm looking at the turkey pro, and a pro tactical as well now haha. It's an awesome gun, and I highly value made in USA. As far as semi auto shotguns go, there aren't a lot of others available. But yes, the 940 uses the same optic rail and chokes as the mossberg 500, which I think is a super cool and handy feature.

With certain ammo, my 940 seems to not like to fire all the time. Just winchester waterfowl loads so far. I've been reading a little bit about the 930 having that issue, and guys will swap in extra power 10/22 hammer springs to fix the issue. But, I've ran a decent round count through mine, and I haven't had issues other than the 1 box of waterfowl loads so far.

I've read a number of accounts of guys with berettas and benellis turkey hunting and getting a failure to fire because they didn't drop the bolt hard enough to fully seat. On the 940 the bolt isn't rotating, so I bet that problem is eliminated.

I talked my uncle and my sister in law into buying a 940 on a recent hubting trip as well. If you're thinking about a 940, I recommend the 940.

Buy American, and leave the commie guns alone.
View Quote

While I appreciate your honesty in regards to the FTF issue you had and one of the fixes that people often do to their 940 and I was with you until the end. I’m not sure if you know this but the Italians aren’t communists.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Mossberg is asking big $ for this. About beretta Benelli money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#12]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Mossberg is asking big $ for this. About beretta Benelli money.
View Quote

That’s the rub. This isn’t just the Beretta fan boy speaking either, the Mossberg isn’t going to retain its value as well so if you decide in four or five years to sell it to trade up, you’re going to lose a lot more than if you buy a Beretta or Benelli. When it comes to hunting shotguns, Benelli is the more recognized name but they are also double the price. The 940 isn’t a bad gun, I’m sure it will be fine but there are some quarks and sometimes some fixes that need to be performed on some guns due to Mossberg QC. That commie shotgun maker (Beretta, who also owns Benelli), has been in business for over 500 years and has tighter quality control. If you go with the 940 there are resources out there like the Mossberg owners board and Reddit where people discuss the various issues that may arise. Likewise with the A300, there have been plenty of fixes or mods that people have done to them over the years and has been documented on places like Reddit. Also to clear something up that the one poster mentioned about rotating bolt design, the A300 doesn’t have a rotating bolt, the A400 has the rotating bolt system. The A300 is a more basic gas driven system.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you. I appreciate the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top