Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2023 11:30:35 PM EDT
Curious, I have a two talon ss rifles and a cheap regulated air Venturi. Maybe the Venturi is too cheap to be spot on. But I think the gun is worse than my unregulated talon ss guns.
   I’ve always like the various FX and similar guns. Are pcp guns in the 1k-1500 range night and day better than my old talons?
  Or save my money?
Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Daystate or Fx in my opinion are the best two makes. Can't you just put a regulator on the ones you have and tune them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
First question I have for you OP is what are you chasing as far as consistency?  Are you trying to get sub 1/2 MOA at 50 yards for benchrest competition, do you just need 1-1/2 MOA every time you bring it out without zero shift, or are you looking for something else?

If you are chasing precision for the benchrest games, then yes the $1500+ guns will make this much easier, though I've seen less expensive examples do well, but not consistently across the board.

Many of the $1500 guns will shoot with velocity extreme spreads on the order of one ft/s when well tuned.  However, that is not the whole story on airgun accuracy, or consistency from session to session.  

FX guns tend to be a bit delicate.  Changes in point of impact can be due to significant temperature changes, to bumping the barrel shroud.  Sighting in at the beginning of any session is essential especially with FX guns. That said, I really like mine.

The electronic controlled Daystates, seem to be on a whole different level as far as tuning, and velocity consistency.  Plus, they do quite well in competition.  I just find them not too aesthetically pleasing.

American Air Arms unveiled a rather robust airgun at the Extreme Benchrest match this past October.  It is a rife which is heavy, but likely could withstand a low crawl through heavy brush without losing zero. It is designed for benchrest and NRL 22 competition which is why it is heavy.  

One other thing, due to advances in technology, even more budget friendly airguns will outshoot older examples of the same guns.

Depending on what you want your airgun to do, I can make other suggestions which might be a bit more budget friendly, but still meet your expectations.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mmamonster:
Daystate or Fx in my opinion are the best two makes. Can't you just put a regulator on the ones you have and tune them.
View Quote

Thanks that is always an option. Just not as fun as a new gun :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
First question I have for you OP is what are you chasing as far as consistency?  Are you trying to get sub 1/2 MOA at 50 yards for benchrest competition, do you just need 1-1/2 MOA every time you bring it out without zero shift, or are you looking for something else?

If you are chasing precision for the benchrest games, then yes the $1500+ guns will make this much easier, though I've seen less expensive examples do well, but not consistently across the board.

Many of the $1500 guns will shoot with velocity extreme spreads on the order of one ft/s when well tuned.  However, that is not the whole story on airgun accuracy, or consistency from session to session.  

FX guns tend to be a bit delicate.  Changes in point of impact can be due to significant temperature changes, to bumping the barrel shroud.  Sighting in at the beginning of any session is essential especially with FX guns. That said, I really like mine.

The electronic controlled Daystates, seem to be on a whole different level as far as tuning, and velocity consistency.  Plus, they do quite well in competition.  I just find them not too aesthetically pleasing.

American Air Arms unveiled a rather robust airgun at the Extreme Benchrest match this past October.  It is a rife which is heavy, but likely could withstand a low crawl through heavy brush without losing zero. It is designed for benchrest and NRL 22 competition which is why it is heavy.  

One other thing, due to advances in technology, even more budget friendly airguns will outshoot older examples of the same guns.

Depending on what you want your airgun to do, I can make other suggestions which might be a bit more budget friendly, but still meet your expectations.
View Quote

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I guess I’m chasing accuracy but not for competition. Plinking and light hunting.
  More often than not I’ll grab my pcp to shoot a chipmunk at 30-50yds. Sometimes it’s still sighted in. Sometimes it’s not. Sometimes I simply miss.
   Chipmunks by me are small. So if I could get 1/2 to 3/4” groups at 50yds every time I pick up the gun I would be happy.  Sometimes I’ll go a month without using it. Other times I’ll use it everyday for a week straight.  
   I’d like to stick to .25 caliber. Budget is 1500 tops ( just gun. I have glass for it).
    I’ll look up some of makes you mentioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top