Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 2:50:05 PM EDT
I’ve seen this issue accross the internet and seems to be random, some guns work, some don’t. While my gen 2 mpx has been 100 percent reliable, I can’t seem to get it to group better than 6-8 inches at 25 yards. My mp5 and mp5k clones all shoot clover leaves / 1 inch groups, but the mix with both the factory barrel as well as an ILWT barrel all shoot wonky. I tried chopping the factory down and shot it both with the trilug and direct thread suppressed with the same results.

Also the mpx will sometimes group okay and then throw a random round way to the left or the right. This is both suppressed and unsuppressed and have shot 9mm and .45 cans on it. No evidence of a baffle strike or anything.  

Just wondering if anyone has had success getting a lemon to shoot better or if I should just keep this sucker in the back of the safe.

Only thing I can think to do is take apart, clean, put back together and make sure it’s all torqued to spec, and maybe mess with stronger springs from ILWT.

Mp5 with omega 9k trilug at 25 with 147 G2

Attachment Attached File

Mpx at 25 with 147 G2 and 124 NATO

Attachment Attached File

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Something clearly isn't right with your MPX...Mine is a tack driver with the ILWT tri lug barrel. Either your barrel is loose or your optic is loose? Are you using a red dot? if sso Take it off and try a different one and mount...if using Irons check the sights for looseness
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks dude, yeah optic is tight and witness marked. Barrel was torqued tight. Going to take it back out after checking everything and report back. Love the platform and would really love it if it performs. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the MPX, but got rid of it and now have the B&T APC9k, which is 100% reliable all the time and highly accurate.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got one of the newer MPX K’s and it shoots 5-6” groups at 25 yards with a red dot.I have gotten better groups out of it with certain ammo but by the time I realized the inconsistencies were ammo related I moved on to other guns.At some point I’m gonna revisit it and work up a load.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
Thanks dude, yeah optic is tight and witness marked. Barrel was torqued tight. Going to take it back out after checking everything and report back. Love the platform and would really love it if it performs. Thanks!
View Quote

Torqued tight or torqued to spec?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same accuracy "complaints" with my MPX-k. I'm running the factory barrel with the ILWT 3-lug adapter. Both the barrel and the adapter have been removed and re-installed and torqued to spec multiple times. I'm not ready to swap the barrel for an ILWT barrel, but my next plan is to remove the 3-lug adapter and direct thread a suppressor with a 13.5x1LH taper adaptor.

I put a couple of videos on YouTube regarding this topic, here are a couple of screen shots when compared to my PTR9.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#7]
View Quote

Did it shoot like that straight from the factory without changing anything?  Factory barrel, flash hider, etc

Have you tried putting a different optic on it?  Maybe the dot is shifting shot-to-shot. What optic are you using
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree. try a different optic...you dont have to "zero" the new optic...as long as it is on paper you just want to see how the grouping is
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've pretty much given up on my MPX K.  I've spent a stupid amount of money trying to get it to shoot reasonably well.  ILWT barrel, adjustable gas plug, different rate springs, different trip-lug adaptors (including the ILWT MPX specific one) on the factory barrel.  Even with my CGS MOD 9 direct thread mounted, the best groups are 4"+ at 25 yards.  My Zenith MP5 clone, and APC9 shoot clover leafs at that range.

I may throw a Hail Mary pass, and pick up a longer barrel, since the accuracy issues seem more prevalent on the 4.5" guns.  That kind of defeats the purpose of the "K" though.

I SBR'd it before I had my 9mm can and discovered all the issues.  It would have been out the door and long gone years ago if it wasn't an SBR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
I've pretty much given up on my MPX K.  I've spent a stupid amount of money trying to get it to shoot reasonably well.  ILWT barrel, adjustable gas plug, different rate springs, different trip-lug adaptors (including the ILWT MPX specific one) on the factory barrel.  Even with my CGS MOD 9 direct thread mounted, the best groups are 4"+ at 25 yards.  My Zenith MP5 clone, and APC9 shoot clover leafs at that range.

I may throw a Hail Mary pass, and pick up a longer barrel, since the accuracy issues seem more prevalent on the 4.5" guns.  That kind of defeats the purpose of the "K" though.

I SBR'd it before I had my 9mm can and discovered all the issues.  It would have been out the door and long gone years ago if it wasn't an SBR.
View Quote

Wow.  We are twins.  I've SBR'd mine before finding the same issues.  I have tried different tri lug adapters, direct thread, ILWT barrel with adjustable gas.  I shot mine again today with and without a suppressor after cleaning both the weapon and suppressor.  4" at 25 yards is where I'm at regardless of subsonic or supersonic ammo.  Mine is also the 4.5" model.  I've got just over 2,000 rounds through mine, and while fun to shoot isn't a very accurate firearm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:42:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#11]
I’m dealing with a recently purchased, previously owned MPX Copperhead.

With the factory 3” barrel I can get tiny groups, but the reason I bought the gun was that it came with a ILWT 4 1/2” barrel that I could mount a suppressor on.

I’m getting 4-6” groups with the ILWT barrel, and significant trigger slap.

After communicating with the owner of ILWT I’m waiting on a couple of different gas plugs and extra power springs.

If it’s only accurate with the hog nose barrel I’ll probably pass it on at a loss.

Update:
I went with smallest gas plug.
.049 torqued the barrel to spec.
Changed out the older Sig Romeo 5 that came with the gun for a newer one that I had.
The gun works fine, trigger slap is gone, and I got some 2” groups (when I did my part).

I’m relieved.
I was afraid the gun would only shoot decent groups with short barrel.

I didn’t shoot a lot of rounds with my YHM R9, but POI is still off by a couple of feet when it’s attached.
Suppressed groups seemed to be about 2” bigger.
I’ve thought about using Magpul folding sights and have them zeroed for the suppressor and zero the Romeo for non suppressed shooting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:59:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:

View Quote

I echo this, it's acceptable with direct thread. I'm debating removing it from the registry and dumping it. Then I would be Sig free.
Although I haven't tried the smaller gas plug. The gun does work though, never malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Such a "neat" little gun.  But my Benelli M4 with buckshot shoots better groups.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
So are ILWT barrels not accurate?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
So are ILWT barrels not accurate?
View Quote

Mine is a sample size of 1, so take that for what its worth.

The ILWT barrel on my gun, using the tri lug and Lawman 147gr ammo is around 4" or so at 25, with my MOD9 suppressor.  Without the suppressor, it's slightly better.

The factory barrel, with an ILWT MPX specific tri lug adaptor was 6"+ at 25 using the same ammo.  With the can direct threaded on the factory barrel, probably closer to 4".

I'm waiting for the form 3 to clear on a Wolfman, once it gets out of jail I'll give it a go on the MPX.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#16]
Anyone have issues with the 8” as well?  I have a relatively newly acquired gen3 8” LE.  As soon as I get the rad45 in hand (any day now), I’ll be using the ILWT tapered tri-lug and the HUXWRX 3 lug mount.  I’ll do some testing in the factory setting, without a MD, with the ilwt 3-lug, and finally with the suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By joesrcool:
I have the same accuracy "complaints" with my MPX-k. I'm running the factory barrel with the ILWT 3-lug adapter. Both the barrel and the adapter have been removed and re-installed and torqued to spec multiple times. I'm not ready to swap the barrel for an ILWT barrel, but my next plan is to remove the 3-lug adapter and direct thread a suppressor with a 13.5x1LH taper adaptor.

I put a couple of videos on YouTube regarding this topic, here are a couple of screen shots when compared to my PTR9.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179240/MP5_JPG-3146140.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179240/MPX_JPG-3146141.JPG
View Quote

My dude, watched all your vids. Your gun basically shoots the same as mine tossing random rounds and opening up the groups. And I’ve tried multiple optics, direct thread and trilug, etc, different bullets from range to defense loads from 115 to 147 grain. Bummed to hear so many folks have issues with this platform and wonder why it’s not more resilient from an engineering standpoint.

Love the way it handles and shoots but wish it was more accurate. Still need to get to the range and try it in my last ditch configuration to see if it works.

And for the other folks still in the thread, never really shot great, which is why I went with the ILWT barrel. I have the adjustable gas plug barrel and will group it with all the gas settings and a trilug griffin 45 can and then shoot it direct thread and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone make a direct thread hub 13.5x1LH tapered adapter? I have yet to find one...
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone make a direct thread hub 13.5x1LH tapered adapter? I have yet to find one...
View Quote

Do you mean an adapter to use a different thread pitch?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I've been looking, and I haven't found one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TROB:

Do you mean an adapter to use a different thread pitch?
View Quote

I'm looking for a tapered 13.5x1 LH direct thread suppressor HUB adapter (or one for an Obsidian 9/Omega 9k). I'm trying to remove as many variables and adapters as I can, so not interested in a 1/2x28 conversion adapter. I may pick up the Griffin 13.5x1 LH taper 3-lug to see if it provides any better accuracy than the ILWT 3-lug adapter I have.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 can't get accuracy for crap. I was trying to shoot steel at 25 and 50 yards. Im more accurate with a handgun.

I'm running a ilwt barrel as well. I gave up on trilug.

Now I'm using plan a, bit i haven't shot for accuracy. It's just depressing.

Already form 1'd. Whatever. At least it looks cool.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My Gen 1 8" shoots great unsuppressed, but as soon as I put a suppressor on it shoots 7"+ groups at 25 yards. I've tried tri-lug and direct thread. Sad to hear that even an aftermarket barrel won't fix it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Played around with (3) cans now both with them attached via tri lug and also with direct thread.  Same results whether with factory Sig 4.5" barrel or ILWT 4.5" barrel.  Tried two different quality optics and quality mounts as well.  Pretty sad I can shoot the same groups with a red dot handgun (MPX has been form 1'd and using a stock and bags at 15 yards with unacceptable groups).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Alright dudes. Took the mpx back out today after tearing it down and retorquing the barrel screws to 40 inch pounds. Using the ILWT 4.5 inch barrel with adj gas plug, dialed down to the min gas setting, and using a griffin revolution 45 can on the tri lug mount. Got a 3-4 inch group at 25 and kept most of them in the 9 ring on a birchwood B8ish at 50 yards. For how much I’ve messed with this, I’ll take it as a win. My basderd coharie mp5 clone shoots groups a quarter the size, but at least the mpx isn’t throwing random rounds all over and keeping them somewhat centered.

This was all speed gold dot g2 147 grain.

At least it’s been 100 percent reliable. Going to just wipe it down and lube it up and leave it. I feel like if I look at it funny it will act up again.

1st group at 25. 10 shots

Attachment Attached File

2nd group at 50. 10 shots

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright dudes. Took the mpx back out today after tearing it down and retorquing the barrel screws to 40 inch pounds. Using the ILWT 4.5 inch barrel with adj gas plug, dialed down to the min gas setting, and using a griffin revolution 45 can on the tri lug mount. Got a 3-4 inch group at 25 and kept most of them in the 9 ring on a birchwood B8ish at 50 yards. For how much I’ve messed with this, I’ll take it as a win. My basderd coharie mp5 clone shoots groups a quarter the size, but at least the mpx isn’t throwing random rounds all over and keeping them somewhat centered.

This was all speed gold dot g2 147 grain.

At least it’s been 100 percent reliable. Going to just wipe it down and lube it up and leave it. I feel like if I look at it funny it will act up again.

1st group at 25. 10 shots

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365058/IMG_8430_jpeg-3171429.JPG

2nd group at 50. 10 shots

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365058/IMG_8431_jpeg-3171430.JPG
View Quote

That is practically what my APC9k got …
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Tried Ecco Machine?

@thehun06
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got a taper shoulder adapter and running in direct thread 13.5LH …
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#29]
Suppressor stamp came in, so I did a little testing.  First group was before I had the suppressor.

8” gen3 unsuppressed in factory setting (A2 FH), 25y, federal AE 147’s

ILWT 3-lug, Rad45 suppressor (full length config), 25y. This was the only group this day.  Once I saw it would group well, I just got to blasting.  I’ll shoot more groups consecutively next time.

Overall, seems like acceptable groups with a red dot.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, here's hoping this fixes the accuracy issue with my MPX.

My B&T MP5SDK suppressor is still in jail, and the 8" hand guard is out getting ceraKote to match the gun.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder why it is so sensitive to a suppressor.

Generally, a can won't cause accuracy issues unless there is a baffle strike, which there doesn't seem to be.  Gas turbulence is a thing...but pistol bullets are not generating 50K PSI and aren't boat tail bullets, so it shouldn't really be a thing.  Alternatively, a can could wobble on a 3 lug...maybe.  It could cause issues if it induced barrel flex due to a light barrel or inadequate barrel thickness in the threaded area.  Over torqued muzzle devices can damage a barrel...but unlikely.  Something could be contacting something...like can touching rail or similar...but obvious and unlikely.  Back pressure could affect cyclic rate which could cause it to unlock prematurely...but thats generally rare as the bullet is usually gone before the unlocking occurs.  

Odd.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By joesrcool:
I'm looking for a tapered 13.5x1 LH direct thread suppressor HUB adapter (or one for an Obsidian 9/Omega 9k). I'm trying to remove as many variables and adapters as I can, so not interested in a 1/2x28 conversion adapter. I may pick up the Griffin 13.5x1 LH taper 3-lug to see if it provides any better accuracy than the ILWT 3-lug adapter I have.
View Quote

Ecco machine makes an "alpha" 13.5x1lh mount that shoulders on the muzzle(like all 13.5mm mounts should).  It's aluminum and I believe under $50.......
I don't have an omega 9k but I'm 99.9% sure it uses a normal "alpha" mount, right?  

https://www.eccomachine.net/product/1-125-28-alpha-ultralight-aluminum-direct-thread-mounts/
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TROB:
Anyone have issues with the 8” as well?  I have a relatively newly acquired gen3 8” LE.  As soon as I get the rad45 in hand (any day now), I’ll be using the ILWT tapered tri-lug and the HUXWRX 3 lug mount.  I’ll do some testing in the factory setting, without a MD, with the ilwt 3-lug, and finally with the suppressor.
View Quote

I have an early gen2 factory SBR with the 8 inch barrel and an extra sig barrel that was shortened to about 4 inches and both shoot fine.  
Never shot groups, but with a cheap red dot it's no problem to hit a paper plate size target at 100 yards from a bench.  Standing and unsupported is maybe 50% hits.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I threw my "Hail Mary" pass for accuracy on my MPX.  My "K" is now an "SD".  B&T "K" can, on an ILWT SD barrel.  Hopefully this fixes the accuracy issues.  That's an MI 8" hand guard.  If I was going to do it over again, I'd go with the Ronin arms conversion, as it's a couple of inches shorter.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks good.  Now go shoot some groups
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Rob from ILWT has mentioned that it is likely an issue with overgassing, causing bolt to unlock early. Tracks with how cans seem to make groups open, and how gassy the MPX is with a can.  Haven't taken it out yet in a while, but my mpx with 4.5" ILWT barrel and restricted gas plug, 20% extra power springs, and wolfman in k config gets like 2"ish groups iirc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#37]
I haven’t noticed my mpx to be gassy.  I’ve only ever shot it suppressed with the rad45 though, so maybe pushing the gas out the front has a positive effect on groups.  Mine shoots great.

I have a ilwt 3-lug adapter with the Huxwrx mount.  There’s a little more wiggle than I care for, so I’m trying the 3-lug MD & mount from silencerco.  Supposed to be a tighter lock-up.  Should have it by today
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top