User Panel

Site Notices
My Journey to Reloading (Page 9 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

Or having the family dog lap them up off the floor.

If you lose the plastic retainer strap for the primer catch tray you can make one

out of thin steel wire to hold it. See yellow MS Paint drawing below..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/bib-3110105.jpg

My gifted Rockchucker from the 80's didn't have any retainer so I made one from

stainless steel safety wire.
View Quote

Wow, I hope your pooch survived. Great tip, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Decapping again, this time with ... a primer cup.
View Quote
I didn't know they had a spent primer cup.  

An option for those presses that don't have one is to put a tall round rubbish bin under the press.

My Redding T-7 has a plastic tube you can run straight down into a waste basket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
That brings back memories.
View Quote

If I remember, I'll print out some of my Navy-themed short stories and bring them to Puyallup for either your reading enjoyment or for wood-stove fire starter materiel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
I didn't know they had a spent primer cup.  

An option for those presses that don't have one is to put a tall round rubbish bin under the press.

My Redding T-7 has a plastic tube you can run straight down into a waste basket.
View Quote

My big boss2 seems to like to drop the primers forward and on to the floor sometimes instead of falling in to the tube.  Moderately annoying.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I got the cup, I did it the sailor way. Make a mess then clean it up.

The shell holder I need to de-cap 6.55 Grendel, .38 spl, and .357 mag arrived just now. When I get back from the gym, I'll get to work de-capping the rest of my brass.

Is there anything different about de-capping pistol brass compared to rifle brass I should know before de-capping them? I'm guessing not but why guess when I can ask?

The small primer tube arrived today too. I'll give it a quick test fit before I commence to de-capping in a rapid and expeditious military manner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Why can't I get the shell holder out?

Why can't I remember to lift the ram a bit before trying to change the shell holder?

6.5mm Grendel brass de-capped.
Got started on the .357 but it's time to go swim laps so I'll have to finish up later.

Then I have to decide whether to go shooting this afternoon or work on the bench. The way I feel now, I'll be going to the range. That may change after several hundreds of yards of swimming.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I de-capped everything I can de-cap with the new shell holder. Waiting on the shell holder for 30-30 to de-cap it. I've been on the fence about getting a 10mm shell holder and have decided to do so. I don't have a 10mm but my club has a few and I fire them regularly.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I am getting the hang of de-capping. I'm now using one thumb and two fingers on either side of the press handle when I'm de-capping. I don't wrap any of them around the handle. I find that this gives me plenty of grip to de-cap while making it hard to put too much force in it. It also gives me a better feel of how much force each primer takes to pop out. I've also developed a nice four-step rhythm that helps me make sure I'm not shortcutting the steps. Raise the ram, make a positive stop when it seats on the prime, add steady controlled pressure until it pops, lower the ram.  

Nothing about reloading seems to benefit from "slamming and jamming." I think if I keep my focus on making sure I'm being gentle whenever metal meets metal, and don't apply the force needed to complete the process until I'm sure there is good contact, I'll have a better chance of avoiding at least some bad things. Precision before productivity is how I'm trying to proceed.

I have two weeks to get my bench built and finished, make sure I have everything I need, and otherwise get my act together. I'll have a case trimmer in about 17 days and I want to get to work on case prep so I can continue developing my 55-grain V-max load as soon as I get it all home. I'm going through the reloading instructions in the Lyman 51 to make sure I have what I need.

I have time tomorrow slotted for working on the bench. I'm hoping to get the upper and lower frame completed, at least. Legs on would be great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember the primer technique but I'm sure I will need some experience to develop a good touch. I recall the key being to stop when the die is on the primer, relax the pressure without moving the ram, then apply pressure until it pops in.

The trimmer parts came in today. The primer tube has been here for a bit already.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks! I'm on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Finding time to work on my bench has become as challenging as a unicorn hunt. My wife and I flip houses and this is the busy time of year; getting ready for the annual Spring sales boom. But I think I have enough of my schedule cleared for today to do everything except the finish.

Upper frame laid out and ready to start screwing together. The lower frame is mostly cut and ready too. I'm holding off cutting the last couple of pieces until I have the rest of it together, so I can measure the actual spans I still need to brace to make sure the size is spot-on.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember to use wood glue.

Dry (before glue) fit;
Put joint together, drill one screw hole, screw in screw about 3/4 way in or so. Back out until only 1/8 of the tip shows.

1) "Screw hole:" True or false, please: On the piece being attached, I'm drilling a hole through it that is matched to the shank diameter of the screw, 3/16" for A #10. And a pilot hole in the piece being attached to, 3/32" for a #10 in softwood.

After glue is applied;
Then place 2x4 in place, the screw end will guide the screw to the same hole. Drive it all the way in.

Second screw is just drill/drive and the joint will be right where you want it.

Repeat for every joint.

Support layout looks good. Remember you cannot overbuild a reloading bench.

I'm trying as best I can. It's going to have four legs, all 4x4's. It might look a little funny but purpose-built is purpose-built so here goes. My plan is to have the front legs asymmetrical, left-to-right, with the two front right legs being only about 11" apart, with the press mount in between them. On the left side, inner left leg will be placed normally, leaving almost three feet of knee/foot space and access to the lower shelves. I'm going to have adjustable feet on all eight legs to make sure its level and can handle any wonkiness caused by the offset leg.

2) Speaking of overbuilding, I'm going to use #10 x 3" for all these joints. Are they too large? Due to their size, I'm making a 1x4 template with the holes measured out, to make it as easy as possible to get the screws going into the end of a 2x4 into the meat of the wood.

eta, did you see the pic of your Rockchucker in my funshow thread?
View Quote

Thanks! Please see my questions in blue, above.

No, I didn't see the pics in your funshow thread ... yet. As soon as I post this, I'm on it. Very cool!
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks! I'll start with a 1/8" bit to drill both pieces. It's a tiny bit smaller than a #30; 0.125" versus 0.1285". Three and a half thousandths shouldn't matter that much in soft wood, I'm guessing.

I went with MinWax's Gunstock color for the stain. My construction lumber is pretty rough so I got some MinWax paintable filler too. And three grades of sandpaper for prepping it before finishing. I'm selecting the best surfaces for the exposed parts. The 4x4's I'm using for the legs are sappy. I'll clean it up as much as I can, sand it down, clean it up again, and hide the worst spots by facing them towards the inside of the bench.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, what a fun day. I met Drylash3 at the funshow and picked up all the stuff he had for me. The RCBS Rockchucker press he found for me, the H335 powder I got from him, so I can continue to develop the .223 55-grain v-max load we worked on in training. I also got from him the care package kindly donated to me by a member here. I can't thank you enough! Including a very nice power case trimmer, a nice, weighty primer tray, and a dibbler. The dibbler was enhanced by DryFlash with a slug of lead on the bottom to make it vastly more stable.

I also picked up a thousand small rifle magnum primers. As soon as I arrived, DryFlash told me about them and I went and grabbed a box. I might have bought several more boxes if my wife hadn't been with me. It's a small sacrifice compared to spending the day at a funshow with my soulmate, though.

The rest of the adjusters for my bench arrived today too. I have eight total, one for each of the eight legs on the bench I'm building. They have hex heads cut into the top of the screw to make them easy to adjust. 650 pound capacity each. I seem to recall something about not being able to over-build a reloading bench.

I now have everything I need to reload; I just need to finish the bench before I can use the press.

I have the top and bottom frame assembled and glued. And I have the eight 4x4 legs cut. I'm going to assemble it tomorrow without glue, then take it apart, take it up to the garage and do a whole bunch of prep work with some heavy-cutting sandpaper on an orbital sander. It's all construction grade lumber and if I'm going to go to the effort of staining and sealing it, a couple of hours of progressive prep work seems like a good thing to do. I think I'll start with 80 grit, then move to 220. If the 80 doesn't do it, I think I have some 40 as well. And some 110 if I need an intermediate step.

Next up: Finish bench construction and wood prep. Repair the cord and install the new parts on the trimmer. Case prep. Stain and seal bench frame. Construct and finish top, top edge strips, side panels, rear panel, and shelves. Finish scale/dibbler shelf and powder dispenser bracket. Install feet, fabricate wall mounts, level bench, and mount bench to wall. Fabricate and install press mount plate. Install scale/dibbler shelf. Install powder dispenser bracket. Install coffee maker.

First reloading test: Duplicate the three loads 55-grain v-max loads with H-335 from training with DryFlash, take them to a 100-yard range and shoot them head-to-head with the rounds remaining from training. Pass = Equal or better performance. Fail = Lesser performance.

When I pass, I'll continue to develop the load in accordance with the discussion much earlier in this thread.

Question 1: Given that I want the top to be removable to make it easier to get out of the basement, should I or should I not glue the connections between the 2x4 frame "joists" and the tops of the 4x4 legs? If I don't, should I add some cross-bracing to reduce flex?

Question 2: Shelves. I'm thinking 24" tall shelves along the entire 6' width of the backsplash. I could go taller but 28" above the top is about the most I can reach while seated.
Question 2a: Shelves. We covered this the last time I visited but I want to make sure my memory is correct. I should use 6' long horizontal pieces and use short pieces for the vertical, right? It seems like it would be much less work this way.
Question 2b: Shelves. Recommended dimensions: 1x4 for construction, or 1x6? Height? With 6' horizontal pieces, I can vary the height of the shelves at each level but I'm not sure I know enough to know what I need. I could do 1 at 12" tall and 2 at 6", for example. Or 2 at 8" and 2 at 4".

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks!

I am as happy as a clam in deep mud at high tide! So happy, I almost feel guilty. It's like I'm not paying my reloading dues by struggling with cheap gear and hand-trimming thousands of cases. I'll try to mitigate that guilt by being safe, diligent, and always keeping a keen eye on every detail.

I have two hours before I leave to go the the gym, so I'm going to work on the bench until then. Time to assemble both frames with the legs. If that goes well, I'll be sanding it later today and maybe staining it tonight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
It's just how I roll to get my students off to a good start.

View Quote

Mission Accomplished. CEP Zero. High-order detonation.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#28]
BTW, thanks for the coffee, will enjoy it tomorrow morning.
View Quote

You're quite welcome. Who knows more about a sailor's love for coffee better than another sailor, shipmate?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Life has been busy but I finally got back to reloading. I am so frustrated with the poor quality of my construction of both the upper and lower frames that I am taking them apart, replacing some of the pieces, and putting them back together again. I'm going to make a clamp-jig for my miter saw so all the ribs will be the same length. The biggest problem was ribs that twisted while I was securing them. The cumulative effect was to torque both frames such that nether of them was even close to being flat. When I test fit the legs, it was wobble city even tough the legs are equal lengths. Like over an inch, wobble. So I'm going to do what needs to be done to fix the root cause rather than trying to fix the symptoms. My framing skills aren't serving me well here but I'll get it right this time and learn something in the process. So good deal, eh?

No pics. I'll post more pics when I get it right.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Coffee is good, sipping on it as I'm going through the forum.
View Quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I realized today that I made a mistake when cleaning brass. I didn't separate out the 25 rounds I loaded during DryFlash's training. So I now have 25 twice-fired rounds mixed in with about 400 once-fired rounds.  I'm not too worried about it at this stage. Once I have a load dialed in, I'm going to load a bunch of it for long-term storage. I plan to get my new brass from bulk purchases of inexpensive target ammo, like PMC X-TAC.

I realized that I should have kept those three batches of brass (3 different work-up loads) separated all the way through the process, so that my case inspection could be correlated to a specific load. Lesson re-learned.

I'm guessing that once they've passed case inspection, I can then mix them in with other brass of the same caliber that has been fired the same number of times?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Case Inspection, .300 BO, Lake City brass, from factory Winchester 170 grain XP ammo. I don't think there's anything of concern here but wanted to poste my thinking anyway.

1) Four cases. Only the one on the left has anything questionable on it. Virtually all of the Lake City 300 BO brass has one or two rings impressed around the top of the neck. None of the AAC 300 BO brass has this. I don't think it's cause for concern. My guess it has something to do with the bullets are retained in the case at the factory. Note the minor scratch on the case on the left, below the neck. Another pic of that coming below.

2) A closer shot of the rings around the necks. Are those extractor marks on the side of the neck? They clearly belong there since i see them on all fired cases. Just curious. I'm curious about the dimple on the case on the right, on the shoulder. My guess is it's from contact with something on the rifle on its way out? I see these dimples on most, if not all cases, though in different places.

3) A grayscale version on the case on the left in the first pc. The scratch is easier to see. I don't think it's cause for concern because it doesn't penetrate?

4) A slightly-squashed case neck. I've always assumed this was caused by the case landing on the neck. I understand it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't interfere with the dies.

Thanks! Time to get back to work on the bench.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I've discovered that the factory .300 BO ammo I have stockpiled, AAC 110-grain v-max, doesn't feed reliably under rapid fire. It's too short. So my stockpile is now range ammo. As a result, I think I'm going to start reloading .300 BO first when I get my bench done, rather than .223. My stockpile of .223 runs just fine. I want to make sure I know what caliber-specific things I need to order so I can be ready to go. Here's what I've got on my list:

Hornady Custom-Grade New Dimension 2-die set in .300 BO
Hornady Micro-Juster
Lyman M-Die in .300 BO
Case go/no-go Gauge in .300 BO

Shell holders for the press and trimmer will work on .300 BO.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I got started on my second attempt at building a bench. The lumber is cut and ready to be dry-fitted. I paid a lot closer attention to my lumber selection and my cuts. I will do the same with assembly as well.

I'm used to adjusting alignment and fit with a 24-ounce framing hammer. It's not a terribly useful technique for a bench.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Case Inspection, .300 BO, Lake City brass, from factory Winchester 170 grain XP ammo. I don't think there's anything of concern here but wanted to poste my thinking anyway.

1) Four cases. Only the one on the left has anything questionable on it. Virtually all of the Lake City 300 BO brass has one or two rings impressed around the top of the neck. None of the AAC 300 BO brass has this. I don't think it's cause for concern. My guess it has something to do with the bullets are retained in the case at the factory. Note the minor scratch on the case on the left, below the neck. Another pic of that coming below.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Lake_City_300_BO_Brass-3154857.jpg

2) A closer shot of the rings around the necks. Are those extractor marks on the side of the neck? They clearly belong there since i see them on all fired cases. Just curious. I'm curious about the dimple on the case on the right, on the shoulder. My guess is it's from contact with something on the rifle on its way out? I see these dimples on most, if not all cases, though in different places.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/LC_Brass_Double_Scratches-3154858.jpg

3) A grayscale version on the case on the left in the first pc. The scratch is easier to see. I don't think it's cause for concern because it doesn't penetrate?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Case_Scratch_Closeup_Grayscale-3154856.jpg

4) A slightly-squashed case neck. I've always assumed this was caused by the case landing on the neck. I understand it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't interfere with the dies.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Case_Neck-3154859.jpg

Thanks! Time to get back to work on the bench.
View Quote

To me, it looks like a collet crimp, and the little vampire bites I think are from the barrel lugs
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

To me, it looks like a collet crimp, and the little vampire bites I think are from the barrel lugs
View Quote

Thank you. So, good to go for reloading then?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

As far as I know, yes. But, I'm a novice reloader.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#40]

As far as I know, yes. But, I'm a novice reloader.
View Quote

A fair point. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#41]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Get the Hornady gauge it's SS. I just up graded from a Wilson that was plain steel and always trying to rust.

View Quote

Thanks! I'll do that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I would reload them.
View Quote

That's good enough for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#46]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#47]
For setting OAL for 180 gr and lighter bullets, read my post in the 300 blk Master thread. Explains how and why.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/300-Blackout-Master-Thread/42-385765/#i3572696

For bullets heaver than 180 grs use 2,250 OAL.
View Quote

Thanks! I'm on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#48]
I have all the pieces cut and am ready to assemble them. I'm wondering if the way I assembled it last time might have exacerbated the problems caused by my low-precision cuts.

Last time, I attached all of the cross-pieces to one of the longer pieces, then attached the the other long piece to the end.

What is the best order of attachment, please?

1) Attach two short end pieces to create the perimeter and then add the interior cross-braces?

2) Attach each cross-brace, one at a time, at both ends, to both long pieces, starting at one end and moving to the other?

3) Like I did it before, attach one end of all the cross braces to one of the long pieces, then attach the other long piece to the other ends of the cross-braces?

4) Something else.

5) With more accurate cuts and square joints, the order of assembly doesn't matter.

Thanks!

In the pic, nothing is attached. I just laid it out on the floor without measuring anything.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#50]
1 and 2 yes.

3, Don't repeat a mistake.
View Quote

Thanks!
Page / 13
My Journey to Reloading (Page 9 of 13)