Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#1]
Oops
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to build a postie.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. I have the regular UK59 semi. It has the tripod and scope sight. Very well made.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
Nice. I have the regular UK59 semi. It has the tripod and scope sight. Very well made.
View Quote

My timing was right. The UKM was at a good price still. The Russian ammo wasn't getting price gouged yet so I stacked it deep. The belts, 250 round ammo cans, 50 round assault cans, spare barrel, and other parts were still cheap so I got a bunch of those, also.

I was torn between the UKM and a 1919 but the weight, length difference, sights, scope mounting, and the ease of barrel changes and maintenance led me to the UKM. Didn't want to worry about picking up/losing  links either.
Also love that the belts are indestructible and easy to load without any special loader.

Too bad they didn't make a 7.62 NATO barrel and bolt conversion like the Czechs did, though.

I hope you bought your's direct from Marcolmar and had the pleasure of dealing with the owners Dave and Mary Bane. They answered so many of my questions and also passed along some very helpful tips on the system.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
I need to build a postie.
View Quote

Yeah you do. They are a trip
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

My timing was right. The UKM was at a good price still. The Russian ammo wasn't getting price gouged yet so I stacked it deep. The belts, 250 round ammo cans, 50 round assault cans, spare barrel, and other parts were still cheap so I got a bunch of those, also.

I was torn between the UKM and a 1919 but the weight, length difference, sights, scope mounting, and the ease of barrel changes and maintenance led me to the UKM. Didn't want to worry about picking up/losing  links either.
Also love that the belts are indestructible and easy to load without any special loader.

Too bad they didn't make a 7.62 NATO barrel and bolt conversion like the Czechs did, though.

I hope you bought your's direct from Marcolmar and had the pleasure of dealing with the owners Dave and Mary Bane. They answered so many of my questions and also passed along some very helpful tips on the system.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132994/UKM_muzzle_flash_jpg-2749063.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:

Nice gun! have you managed to get one of the belt loaders? It is one of the simplest belt loaders I ever used. They are pretty neat
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Yes, I bought direct from them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By notso:

Nice gun! have you managed to get one of the belt loaders? It is one of the simplest belt loaders I ever used. They are pretty neat
View Quote

Yes. I got one in like new condition from Numrich Arms.
I don’t use it most times.
It’s easy enough for me to just lay the belt flat on a table and snap the rounds in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics of belt loader?

Can you get me a couple pics of inside your gun? I am in the process of finishing up a UK-59 reweld but the charging mechanism is my current stumbling point?. Any photos of the charging mechanism would be much appreciated.

All I have left is finishing the hole for the striker, putting the sleeve in the stock for the striker spring and getting the charging mechanism together.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#10]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Pics of belt loader?

Can you get me a couple pics of inside your gun? I am in the process of finishing up a UK-59 reweld but the charging mechanism is my current stumbling point?. Any photos of the charging mechanism would be much appreciated.

All I have left is finishing the hole for the striker, putting the sleeve in the stock for the striker spring and getting the charging mechanism together.

View Quote

Sure. Glad to help.
First, the loader. They were made with two bends on the bottom that are made to fit the wooden ammo crates the Czechs use.
The handle has a button to push and allows the handle to fold in for storage.
I find it so much easier to just lay the belt flat and pop the cartridge in with the heel of my palm. It’s a lot quicker. If I am loading more than a 50 round belt, I wear a leather work glove.
For a quick hack, loaded 50 round belts fit perfectly in an ALICE 3 magazine pouch.

I’ll be sending the gun pics later.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Inside of receiver.
I tried to get the recoil spring set up, striker’s position, and the pistol grip/cocking piece at the position it is at when attached.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You rock! Thanks man!

This is where mine is at as of today:

Gotta get a new striker rod made and the rest of that clearance done as well as the charging mechanism. Then test fire!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=UK%2059
Still has belts, cans, bolts,and belt loaders.
The armorer’s kit is good to have. The multi tool is especially nice for removing or tightening the receiver bolts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=UK%2059
Still has belts, cans, bolts,and belt loaders.
The armorer’s kit is good to have. The multi tool is especially nice for removing or tightening the receiver bolts.
View Quote

Never thought of them for a loader!

I believe Marcolmar has a better deal on belts and cans. My kit came with the toolkit/armorers kit, a few belts, assault can and 250rnd can.

The multitool is fantastic. I designed my receiver bolts for it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#17]
Marcolmar is who I got all my belts and cans from.
Spare parts and barrel, too.
They were definitely quite a bit cheaper.
Going through my receipts, I see that I bought a few things for it here also.
https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine-guns/light-machine-guns/uk59.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Little parts seem to be drying up almost as fast as barrels.

I am tempted to grab a tripod though.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#19]
I bought extra feed pawls, feed tray, etc. when I first got the gun.
Some springs.
I thought about a bolt and carrier, but I really don’t see them wearing out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Have you seen any feed tray or feed pawl wear?

Mine looks to have been lightly used before cut up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#21]
I’ve ran 500 rounds of RedArmy and Wolf steel case through mine and except for a few superficial scratches, you wouldn’t even know it wasn’t NIB.
I am VERY satisfied with it. And I’m old, crotchety, and hard to please.
Every now and then I’ll forget to position my meat hook the right way on the pistol grip when I’m cocking the action and get bitten by the bottom dust cover.
That’s about akin to stepping on a Lego barefooted and pisses me off pretty good.
And the way it cycles such a long distance makes it difficult to get a really fast cadence going when shooting. Sounds like a Chauchat from WW1.
Kur-chunk kur-chunk kur-chunk kur-chunk 😂
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
That's awesome to hear! I'm young and crotchety so I understand where you stand.

I understand that these are supposed to have a ridiculous service life of something like 1.5 million rounds. Hopefully my welds hold!

I have some tula I've been feeding the DPM I built that I plan to put through this one. Do you need your gas wide open with cheapo ammo?

I've had a chance to play with one of these in FA. Man, what a rush. The FA DPM is mellow and soft, the UK is one hell of an experience. It about pushed me off the table I was resting it on. Very excited to get my semi built!
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#23]
Mine has a 3 position gas regulator. As per Marcolmar's recommendation, I ran a couple hundred rounds on position 3. That's the most gas. After that position 2 for a few hundred. Marcolmar says to try position 1 after that, and if there's no hiccups to leave it on 1 I have a few belts with Tula in it that I haven't fired yet.
Thay say that the new belts have to be broken in, also.
Search UKM, VZ59, belt loading tool for VZ59, etc. on YOUTUBE. There's a shit load of different vids. Ian Macollum even did a few on Forgotten Weapons.
I've shot several different full auto, both belt fed and magazine, in and since out of the service. Never a VZ or a PKM though. I'm envious.
Tomorrow, check your PM on here. I'll send some manuals and info sheets I have on the UKM/VZ. If there's any problem with doing it in PM like happens to me for some reason, I'll go the email route. I won't just post them on this thread because of copyrights and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine has a 3 position gas regulator. As per Marcolmar's recommendation, I ran a couple hundred rounds on position 3. That's the most gas. After that position 2 for a few hundred. Marcolmar says to try position 1 after that, and if there's no hiccups to leave it on 1 I have a few belts with Tula in it that I haven't fired yet.
Thay say that the new belts have to be broken in, also.
Search UKM, VZ59, belt loading tool for VZ59, etc. on YOUTUBE. There's a shit load of different vids. Ian Macollum even did a few on Forgotten Weapons.
I've shot several different full auto, both belt fed and magazine, in and since out of the service. Never a VZ or a PKM though. I'm envious.
Tomorrow, check your PM on here. I'll send some manuals and info sheets I have on the UKM/VZ. If there's any problem with doing it in PM like happens to me for some reason, I'll go the email route. I won't just post them on this thread because of copyrights and stuff.
View Quote

I just have to remember to check my PMs!

I have all of the Marcolmar papers on it. Those have been handy.

My belts are all new. I loaded one and it's stiff. I'm tempted to get one of the loaders but I'm not sure yet.

A buddy of mine has a SOT and cool stuff plus shoots like KCR and the Reno Mustange Range shoot. Also a few big time collectors of FA in my AO. I've been very lucky with some of the stuff I've had the chance to shoot. We all end up bringing out our MGs and have a ball!

I have the same barrel as you from Marcolmar. I'm struggling to get the pins out of the original gas block as I really want to use it and the original wood carry handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top