BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
NFA Grooming with MGs (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as being expensive, it's all relative.  I know a guy who's a pilot (I believe he was trained as such while in a military branch) and had a part ownership of an airplane.  Airplane ownership got too expensive, so he sold his share in the airplane and bought some machine guns.

Having multiple machine guns of different types, and different accessories and/or add-ons for each of the multiple machine guns is a deterrent to boredom.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Remember, it may be $10k now but it wasn't always. I'm a pretty new adopter to the MG world and it wasn't $10k when I got in. It's now over $10k.

I still think about ammo costs. Easy to shoot a few K in ammo with a MG.
View Quote

Oh, I agree you still think about it. But it’s not the deal breaker that non-MG make it out to be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Remember, it may be $10k now but it wasn't always. I'm a pretty new adopter to the MG world and it wasn't $10k when I got in. It's now over $10k.

I still think about ammo costs. Easy to shoot a few K in ammo with a MG.
View Quote

Truth.  My first MG, a M10/45, was $3800.  Not cheap, but not more than a few nice rifles and handguns.  Now buying one is like buying a car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Landric:

Truth.  My first MG, a M10/45, was $3800.  Not cheap, but not more than a few nice rifles and handguns.  Now buying one is like buying a car.
View Quote

Think what car prices have done in that same time. There is one new car with an MSRP less than $20k in the US (assuming it still is, that story was from last year). Was not long ago there were numerous base-model commuter cars with MSRPs in the low teens. Things are getting more expensive to a degree, but our currency has lost an enormous amount of its purchasing power due to things like reckless deficit spending.

Regarding ammo, I think it depends what you are shooting as well. Subguns are a sweet spot for me in terms of smiles/$. Part of me would love to own a 1919, but at $0.50-1/round, the juice might not be worth the squeeze for me. Also, I don’t have a good spot to shoot it at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By peachy:

Think what car prices have done in that same time. There is one new car with an MSRP less than $20k in the US (assuming it still is, that story was from last year). Was not long ago there were numerous base-model commuter cars with MSRPs in the low teens. Things are getting more expensive to a degree, but our currency has lost an enormous amount of its purchasing power due to things like reckless deficit spending.

Regarding ammo, I think it depends what you are shooting as well. Subguns are a sweet spot for me in terms of smiles/$. Part of me would love to own a 1919, but at $0.50-1/round, the juice might not be worth the squeeze for me. Also, I don’t have a good spot to shoot it at the moment.
View Quote

Our dollars turning into Biden Pesos.  Inflation is somewhat relative - except AR15 prices.  I could buy an EA Arms AR15 lower in the 80s for $75 .

This week PSA Lowers are as low as $29!  That is deflation over a 3-4 decade window - not bad.  Just glad we can buy them still as during 94-2004 things weren't so cheery.

I don't need more AR15 parts but buying them anyway - just in case as the prices are so low, I can't believe some of these are even profitable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#6]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Oh, I agree you still think about it. But it’s not the deal breaker that non-MG make it out to be.
View Quote

I've been known to run through a car or two of ammo in a day in a semi. Today in 223 that's hundreds of dollars. Easily a couple grand in 223 in a day with a Lage upper.

I hate to ask what my buddy spends in 50BMG for his M2 that he has had for decades. Probably paid less than $5k for it when he bought it.

MG prices are 100% artificial. It's a right denied when you can't even ask permission to exercise your right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool story but don't forget to repeal the NFA while you're at it. Or at least reopen the machine gun registry, then repeal the NFA later down the road.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#8]
Originally Posted By Fuddy_McBootlicker:
Cool story but don't forget to repeal the NFA while you're at it. Or at least reopen the machine gun registry, then repeal the NFA later down the road.
View Quote

I've already repealed the NFA. The rest of the country hasnt caught up.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By peachy:
Are there any good MG get-togethers in the Georgia area? Or any good ranges where you can shoot steel? I’m looking for a range that offers more dynamic MG shooting opportunities.

Anyone ever been to River Bend? It seems cools from their website, but it sounds like it is sort of difficult to join.

I’m around the Atlanta area FWIW.
View Quote

Not that I've been able to locate. A few indoor ranges have been the only place I've found to let me shoot anything. Fine for carbine and subguns, but I'm desperate to find a place to test beltfeds at.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KrazyL:

Not that I've been able to locate. A few indoor ranges have been the only place I've found to let me shoot anything. Fine for carbine and subguns, but I'm desperate to find a place to test beltfeds at.
View Quote

You need a farm (also not easy to find) with no neighbors that care or are willing to participate.  Property with land is difficult to find surrpunding Atlanta - Easier to find in Alabama BUT its over the state line but I guess you can do paperwork and cross Odd to me because "National" Firearms act confines you to a state? for some reason??  As long as the state allows NFA in general what is the big deal exactly since only the federal government can approve???
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
NFA Grooming with MGs (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top