Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/39252/steyr+augm1blko+aug+a3+m1+semi-automatic+.223+rem+5.56+nato+16+30+1+1.5x

According to Steyr this gun is from their 2017 catalog. Would the barrel be CL or nitride? Also would this be any more desirable over current generation?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a NATO model with standard A3M1 receiver. I'd say nitride. The description at your link has some discrepancies. I saw the "chrome lined" statement in the description, but you also can't tell whether it's mud or black based on the same description. Where'd you see the NOS claim?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/39252/steyr+augm1blko+aug+a3+m1+semi-automatic+.223+rem+5.56+nato+16+30+1+1.5x
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I emailed Steyr the UPC and they said it was from their 2017 offerings. They thought it would be chrome lined. Buds has no clue. This is my first AUG so I'm not very versed on them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
So Steyr imported some CL barrels to the US back in 2017? Or they were making them in the USA but somehow forgot how by 2024? Just got too expensive/complicated to make CL barrels in the USA? Or it's a not so perfect CL barrel made in the USA before they gave up on figuring it out?

I'm perfectly happy with my USA made nitride barrel but I would be interested in buying a properly made Austrian CL barrel. Steyr AUG's are certainly a mystery and I can see weird collectors values for rare and unusual ones.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
So Steyr imported some CL barrels to the US back in 2017? Or they were making them in the USA but somehow forgot how by 2024? Just got too expensive/complicated to make CL barrels in the USA? Or it's a not so perfect CL barrel made in the USA before they gave up on figuring it out?

I'm perfectly happy with my USA made nitride barrel but I would be interested in buying a properly made Austrian CL barrel. Steyr AUG's are certainly a mystery and I can see weird collectors values for rare and unusual ones.
View Quote
FN was still making the chrome lined CHF barrels for Steyr USA in 2017. It was late 2017 or early 2018 when they switched to nitride after QC problems with the FN barrels
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
FN was still making the chrome lined CHF barrels for Steyr USA in 2017. It was late 2017 or early 2018 when they switched to nitride after QC problems with the FN barrels
View Quote

Ahh. Thanks. So its probably a CL barrel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My STG77 2017 gun is CL but that was due to it being a limited run aniversary gun.
Was also advertised as the 1st 20 inch CL barrrel made in the USA.

My 2020 M3A1 is nitraded like all the modern ones.

OP
You,can get a new AUG with 2 barrels and AUG factory 1.5 optic from PSA
For,like 200 cheaper then that gun listed @ buds.

Or any AUG for 700 cheaper @ PSA.

Bought my 40th anny gun from PJ
Got the 2nd from PSA during the AUGust sale.
They are blowing the M3A1 out cheap cause Steyr has a model they are releasing.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=steyr+aug
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my 40th anniversary from Pete. It was the second one made.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#8]
What's the going rate for a NOS chf/cl aug?  I have a black one that takes waffle mags.  Unfired, still in the box, definitely chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:23:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#9]
View Quote

I thought it was later than that.  If they switched over to nitriding in ‘17 or ‘18, then Steyr US was misleading its customers for a number of years about its barrels as they didn’t change the advertised spec sheets until sometime in ‘21(?).   I suppose it’s possibly they had 2 or 3 or 4 years of CL barrel inventory to go through before hand….
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

I thought it was later than that.  If they switched over to nitriding in '17 or '18, then Steyr US was misleading its customers for a number of years about its barrels as they didn't change the advertised spec sheets until sometime in '21(?).   I suppose it's possibly they had 2 or 3 or 4 years of CL barrel inventory to go through before hand .
View Quote
Posts here from early 2020 discussing the nitrided barrels and comments that they had been that way for the previous year

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/How-are-Steyr-s-new-AUG-barrels-/43-508652/
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a 2017 with a 16 and 20 inch barrel I got from PJ right after I bought mine.  Both are CL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top