Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2024 12:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter]
I’m looking at a USP 45 as a suppressor host and night gun. I thought all the tacticals came with the blacked out target sights.  Finding now that the LE variant comes with night sights.  I had been under the impression that tritium is bad behind tubes and to avoid it.  I read a firearms blog about using tritium sights effectively but I don’t want to bother with that.  I am likely to use the TLR VIR II on this gun and have a mini TOR on order as well.

I just want to know the general consensus for the best sights for passive use.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Night sights are “bad” in the sense that with NODs you have a fixed focal plane, and even focusing on the front sight, if that distance changes (you move, compress your grip) the sight picture is gone. Not to mention you still can’t clearly see your target unless you have dual tubes.

What works really well are pistol dots for passive. Granted you’d have to mill the slide for one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I did also consider that even the target sights won’t be useful, but at least won’t bloom in the way of the target.  Do folks have any luck with phocus or iris devices to better use irons?

Fortunately my carry gun is a fn 509 CT.  It has a threaded barrel and a dot but it isn’t NV capable .
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The tritium sights are only a pain if you intend to mount an optic and routinely shoot passively under NV.  Even then, it is doable with night sights just not optimal.  If you are using a TLR VIR II and no optic then it will be fine.  In the case of not having an optic on the pistol, I prefer having night sights.  Also, different brands seem to use sights with widely varying tritium activity.   Age of the tritium source will also obviously have an impact on brightness.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
Thanks.  I did also consider that even the target sights won’t be useful, but at least won’t bloom in the way of the target.  Do folks have any luck with phocus or iris devices to better use irons?

Fortunately my carry gun is a fn 509 CT.  It has a threaded barrel and a dot but it isn’t NV capable .
View Quote

Have you looked at the dot through NODs yet? Low non-NV settings are usable under most night shooting. I can’t remember ever having blooming because it was “too bright” maybe on a moonless night, but more often than not it was usable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll be trying all my sights and optics through NV once I receive it.  I’m still researching and planning while I sell my Jeep.  Taking longer than preferred

It’s in the (old) EE if you want to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like my TIR, and honestly being active with a pistol isnt a big deal IMO. The red dot is usable as well but man I like that TLR IR light.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff guys, thank you.  TOR arrives Monday.  I’ll be able to give it a shot with a gen 1 unit I have.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
Night sights are “bad” in the sense that with NODs you have a fixed focal plane, and even focusing on the front sight, if that distance changes (you move, compress your grip) the sight picture is gone. Not to mention you still can’t clearly see your target unless you have dual tubes.

What works really well are pistol dots for passive. Granted you’d have to mill the slide for one.
View Quote

Definitely this ^^^^
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#9]
So, updating this - I went with night sights, so I have low light use and keeping a streamlight VIR II on the gun for visible light as well as IR light/illum under nods.  So I’ll just use it primarily active.  This gun isn’t going to have a dot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#11]
Thanks Augee!

ETA: Just learned about refocus lenses.  How well would that do on a strong side eye to quickly go from infinity to close-in for sights?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top