Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2023 8:03:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jreinke]
Title says it all folks!  I'm looking for 1.25" & 1.5" both with 0.083" walls.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a tall order. Have you tried McMaster-Carr?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you're going to find that, the hardening process is going to distort the fuck out of the long axis of the tubing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
You're most likely not going to find it. You can keep looking, but I'd focus on someone boring it for you.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
I don't think you're going to find that, the hardening process is going to distort the fuck out of the long axis of the tubing.
View Quote

No, it's a thing, runs are just typically reserved for special orders. This is not a stock item.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
So what you guys are telling me is that if I want a stainless tube, I'm stuck with either 304 or 316?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jreinke:
So what you guys are telling me is that if I want a stainless tube, I'm stuck with either 304 or 316?
View Quote

No, you can absolutely have someone bore round bar for you.
You can call steel distributors and see if they happen to have a small stock of 17-4. Possibly, from an overrun, failed payment, etc.
There are many other grades of SS that are used for tubing. You're just not likely to find them laying on a shelf somewhere, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

17-4 isn't the problem, precipitation hardened is the problem

1.625" 17-4 round bar

Any good machine shop can make your tubing out of this, but it won't be hardened
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the capability to bore out my own tube from barstock, I just didn't want to go through all the ass pain.  I wouldn't think heat treatment would be necesarry for 9mm/subsonic 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the capability to bore out my own tube from barstock, I just didn't want to go through all the ass pain.  I wouldn't think heat treatment would be necesarry for 9mm/subsonic 300 Blackout.
View Quote

But that is what you are asking for, 17-4 (the alloy) PH (precipitation hardened)

You can order any cut length you want of 17-4 rod/bar at the link above, I don't know where you would get 17-4 tubing
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:But that is what you are asking for, 17-4 (the alloy) PH (precipitation hardened)
View Quote

Not necessarilly. I do understand what you mean, though.
However, even Cond-A is still considered 17-4PH. Although, it's not hardened, precipitation or otherwise.

Regardless, there shouldn't be any issue throwing it into your oven @900F for a little over an hour. I've never bored a tube, but have made several large pieces and was never impacted w/ a dimensional change from hardening. The CTE is quite low.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jreinke] [#10]
Would two hours be too long, that's the shortest cleaning cycle on my oven?

Never mind I read the manual, I can cancel the cleaning cycle manually.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Would two hours be too long, that's the shortest cleaning cycle on my oven?

Never mind I read the manual, I can cancel the cleaning cycle manually.
View Quote

The hour starts after the part(s) reach 900F.
You should be able to cancel it at any time, with a stop or cancel button on the control board.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Aluminum is fine for 9mm/ subsonic 300 blackout, so why worry about the specific grade at all?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Not sure if you’ve cut 17-4 before on your lathe but it really pretty nice to work with. Nicer than 416 IMO. No matter what I do to it the finish is great.

Boring is a pain but it won’t take you that long. Upside is you can machine whatever steps or integral spacer you want as well. And it will be straight, which tube rarely is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:41:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich_V] [#15]
Title says it all folks!  I'm looking for 1.25" & 1.5" both with 0.083" walls.
View Quote

I have looked for 17-4 tubing in the past. Contacted every vendor I could find that lists 17-4 tubing and no one sells small quantities. Maybe you will get lucky.

Your spec for 0.083" wall is excessive for a magnum rifle cartridge.
17-4 H900  has >3x the yield strength of 300 series SS and maintains its strength better at high temperatures than 300 SS.
A 0.035" wall tube of 17-4 H900 would be equivalent to  at least 0.100 wall 316 SS. Most rifle cans that use 316 run 0.065" walls.

For a pistol can 17-4 is overkill. Use 300 series SS if you want corrosion resistance or Titanium if low weight is your goal
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BASE:

Not sure if you’ve cut 17-4 before on your lathe but it really pretty nice to work with. Nicer than 416 IMO. No matter what I do to it the finish is great.

Boring is a pain but it won’t take you that long. Upside is you can machine whatever steps or integral spacer you want as well. And it will be straight, which tube rarely is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BASE:

I've worked for a couple companies (including current employer) where the machinists machine 17-4PH in condition H900.  Despite its hardness (low-mid 40s HRC) it cuts quite well.  My buddy says you can definitely feel the difference when you're turning handles on a lathe.

Even in Condition A it is not soft - it's in the 30s rockwell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:54:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Duplex stainless might be an option.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Green0:

17-4 is essentially in the duplex family of alloys. That is what they call alloyed stronger stainless steels in Europe and Australia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SHD:
Duplex stainless might be an option.

17-4 is essentially in the duplex family of alloys. That is what they call alloyed stronger stainless steels in Europe and Australia.
Specifically,  I am referring to the alloys 2205 and 2507.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#22]
We machine the tube housings out of solid bar stock.  

They are pretty tough though.  In a recent test a foreign government ran them ten times to 1850-1900f and burned the cerakote off the tube of an HRT can without bulging the tube.

Its not a cost reduced process like putting a piece of tube on a rear mount.

It should be cut annealed and then heat treated.  There is almost no size change for 17-4, so to machine it H900 would be really dumb.  I’ve seen people machine it H900, it sounds like they are cutting ceramic. Clicks and end mills cutting with a loud hard click on every contacting tooth, indicate a lot of process difficulty.  It’s an ugly sound to hear 17-4 get cut in H900.
View Quote

I’m guessing that was a conservatively high temp for testing purposes? I’m curious what a reasonable temp for a hard use sbr suppressor would be. I always forget to bring along an IR thermometer when I’m abusing mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Without full auto, around 1000°F, maybe up to 1,200 for really spirited shooting with multiple mags.

That'd be for very brief periods, though.  Cans stay too hot to touch for a good while, but thin parts will drop from those very high temps quite quickly once the heat input ceases.
View Quote

If the tube is at 1000oF the tip of the blast baffle is much hotter and consequently softer promoting erosion. Many expect their can to be fully usable while glowing red hot. With the possible exception of belt fed machine guns this is an unreasonable expectation in my opinion. The rate of fire required to heat a can to incandescence will quickly wear out the barrel and is really just a stunt.
I understand the cool factor in doing this but making a can that can take that abuse cost more and is heavier that 99% of users will ever need.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Without full auto, around 1000°F, maybe up to 1,200 for really spirited shooting with multiple mags.

That'd be for very brief periods, though.  Cans stay too hot to touch for a good while, but thin parts will drop from those very high temps quite quickly once the heat input ceases.
View Quote

Thanks, that gives me a good starting point anyway. I didn't want to derail this thread too far but those numbers caught my eye. I've been looking at some of the materials elevated temp strength and heat treat requirements but really wasn't sure what was a reasonable assumption there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECCO_Machine] [#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#27]

17-4, Inconel 718 and cobalt-6 all have similar strengths at elevated temps, though Stellite tensile strengh is well below the other 2 at lower temps.  17-4 actually has a higher melting point than Inconel or Stellite, but it's not as abrasion resistant in the 800-1,200° range, which is why the superalloys will fare a little better when run that hard, particularly with open tine flash hiders.  But they'll still suffer, we see no shortage of badle eroded Inconel baffles in AAC cans that were run hard with flash hider muzzle devices.  That's why I always recommend a muzzle brake muzzle device with short barrels, regardless of baffle material.  

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get tungsten carbide tips on baffles, been a goal of mine for some time.  But there are many hurdles to incorporating this super hard material that can withstand extreme temperatures but which is also very brittle and not weldable.
View Quote

That is a neat idea. I guess a thermal spray coating wouldn't be thick enough? That might not be feasible for low volume parts either I guess.

I'm pretty good at embedding tiny chunks of carbide into holes...

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get tungsten carbide tips on baffles, been a goal of mine for some time.  But there are many hurdles to incorporating this super hard material that can withstand extreme temperatures but which is also very brittle and not weldable.

View Quote

I have thought about using HSS (M2) for the blast baffle. It's machinable in the annealed state and if you harden then temp it back to Rc~58 or so it wont be too brittle.
I once used T15 HSS "washers" on a 3 chamber muzzle brake. This was used for a 223 rifle and they have zero ware after many rounds.
I had the washers made by Arthur R. Warner .
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#30]

The trouble with tool steels is that the wonderful properties they exhibit go away at high temps.  I've experimented with 440C baffles; they're very hard, but the working range is below 500°F.  At 1,000°, the material is softer, more brittle and less corrosion resistant.

I've also used 422 stainless, which is actually a great choice for baffles, but there are two things that make it challenging:

1, weldability is not great, and it needs annealed and re-treated afterward. Thats tough to do with an assembled suppressor.

2, availability.   It sucks, period, and when I do find it, it's usually tempered, so I'd have to anneal before machining unless I want to really destroy tooling with a tough, 50 Rc material.
View Quote

I think you read my post incorrectly. I was referring to high speed tool steel, i.e. M2 used for endmills, drills etc. not typical tool steels like D2 A1 etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
From what Ive heard and what is on the website, XRT is going to have 17-4 tubes available soon...
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Solder in drill bushings then WEDM the bore to final profile?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top