Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:07 AM EDT
Do you need a dedicated night gun if you don't hunt at night?

I wanted to make my go-to, SHTF, do all rifle that wears a 1-4x the option of being used at night with a single PVS-14. I put a dot on top of the scope mount. Not terribly unwieldy but not amazing, either.

I was messing with a unity high mounted red dot for a minute at my LGS and it struck me how much lighter and easier to use with night vision it would be with less crap in the way. My thought is wanting only one gun to grab if needed, but have it be pretty good at all tasks. Is this the wrong approach?

Should I have one set up for day/dusk and one devoted purely to night? Not kicking doors or anything but use case would be general SHTF, post hurricane, stuff like that. Do I keep the dot and also add a IR Light/laser? Or do one short set up for night time/red dot only?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Great advice from Augee. Living in the country I do however have two SBRs set up; one for day one for night. Day has RDs, night has thermal and Ir laser giving two nighttime solutions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Do you need a dedicated night gun if you don't hunt at night?

View Quote
Do you need it, maybe not.  Would you want to, probably...

If you can afford it without hurting yourself somewhere else why not?

I can not afford to get into the Thermal or NV game, not even close...   If I could, I'd have one of each.

I really don't need them, I usually only hunt Steel Targets and sometimes paper or polymer ones and its almost always in the daytime to dusk...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I put an rmr on top of an acog, added an ir laser and a white/ir capable light and boom do all gun!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
Great advice from Augee. Living in the country I do however have two SBRs set up; one for day one for night. Day has RDs, night has thermal and Ir laser giving two nighttime solutions.
View Quote

This iswhat I did. I just set up an AR with a PVS-17b and a Laserspeed LS-M3. I'm liking the setup so far. The only gripe I have is the 17b sits a little too high for the typical cheek weld. It can be overcome with some training though. I do have a PVS-30 that is a damn good clip-on but it is a beast. I mainly got that for my DPMS .308. I have a very good Geissele rifle with a Perst-2, Surefire Vampire, and a 1-4x LPVO that is my main go-to rifle. I also have an M4 inspired rifle that has a Perst-3, Aimpoint, and a Surefire Vampire that I delegated to HD. Most of my rifles are night capable, but I decided a solely dedicated night rifle would be a good choice here in the country.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#7]
If your "night gun" envisions walking around "patrolling" under helmet-mounted NODs after a blackout/hurricane/etc. then adding an IR illuminator and IR laser seems appropriate. There's pretty small IR lasers like TNVC's Tor from Steiner that are cheap as well as take very little rail space. I suppose since we're not talking about icing looters ninja-style, you might also want very bright long-throw white light to challenge miscreants once they've been observed under NODs. ("Move along now" is taken much more seriously when accompanied with eye-squintingly bright spotlights. :) )

If one's "night gun" is just a bump-in-the-night bedside AR, I really can't envision getting kitted up with a helmet and NODs... For me, it's a 12.5" Hodge SBR, kept simple: White freakin' light and an Aimpoint held by a barely-awake homeowner aiming from the top of the stairs in his Christmas-print-fuzzy-jammies.  :D

I *do* have night-only guns, but they're varmint hunters that never get used in the daytime. (16" Daniel and Colt ARs in 300BLK and 5.56mm) with iRay thermal on them.)

Also pure-nighttime, in conjunction with PVS-14's, I have a couple little .22lrs (S&W 15-22 SBR's) set up with DBAL and IR torches for teeny critters: the white light on those are lower lumen backup torches with wide spill for observation/navigation/cleanup/game-gathering after shots have been taken. (Rail-mounted pistol lights) One has a green laser built in (Streamlight) mostly for play with the deathrays when bored in a deer stand.

The truck gun (Hodge 16" Mod2) has long-throw white light and ACOG 3x. Usable for day or night at the short to mid distances that one might envision from recent news-making conflicts. I suppose I set that up envisioning that I could put a clip-on in front of the ACOG, but don't have that iRay RICO Micro anymore, so it awaits perfection.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:09:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#9]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

This.

0 to 600 yards during day (RMR closer, ACOG farther), passive at night with RMR, D2 for as needed at night.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:
I put an rmr on top of an acog, added an ir laser and a white/ir capable light and boom do all gun!

This.

0 to 600 yards during day (RMR closer, ACOG farther), passive at night with RMR, D2 for as needed at night.

I have my Geissele rifle set up with an RMR on top of the LPVO. Very handy for passive night aiming and point shooting during the day. The rifle with the 17b is more for when I quickly need a rifle at night and don't have time to put on the NODs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#10]
If we're talking a GP purpose rifle set up for 2A/militia, no, a dedicated night gun is probably not a good idea. If shit goes down and you're stuck somewhere in the day time with a night only capable rifle, well, you're fucked.

I think it's worth noting that if you're actually out gooning at night, assume anyone else out there has thermal. Having a COTI or some other thermal capability is probably essential at this point. The new Holosun unit looks promising, though the low sensor resolution is a bummer. Even still, I've seen some test footage going out to 300m and it looks usable.

I like the idea of a clip-on to go in front of an LPVO is great in theory, but I've found it to be kind of cumbersome and awkward in practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top