Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2023 9:41:42 PM EDT
I have a tubular steel receiver with a couple of holes in it where a 3/8" pin passes through.  This hole was drilled (not by me) slightly out of alignment such that the pin crosses through at a slight angle.

I can't weld, and I don't want to buy a welder.  But it occurred to me that I could relieve one side of the holes with a Dremel, testing and fitting carefully until it lines up.  

This would leave the holes elongated.  If I had a proper solid steel rod to fit inside the tube to use as an anvil, could I then simply peen around the opposite edge of the holes to get them to tighten back up again so the holes are not elongated?

If the peening is viable, what's the best type of punch to use?  Sharp, or more rounded at the tip?

Or perhaps another question would be, how would you go about this repair?  The tube is a serialed receiver so I am trying to avoid the red tape and expense of going through an FFL to ship it to the manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a visit to a local machine shop?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
Maybe a visit to a local machine shop?
View Quote

They can't work on a receiver without an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

They can't work on a receiver without an FFL.
View Quote

That’s true. There are machine shops with FFL s
There are a few locally here that make their own suppressors and do NFA engraving plus custom machine work. May be worth investigating. Let us know what you end up doing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
How expensive is the receiver? Have you priced machinist rates?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:

That's true. There are machine shops with FFL s
There are a few locally here that make their own suppressors and do NFA engraving plus custom machine work. May be worth investigating. Let us know what you end up doing.
View Quote

Yeah I'm way rural.  Nearest reasonable sized city is 80 miles.  I reached out to the manufacturer to see what they will do, but being the weekend and Christmas season I don't expect a fast response.  

If it's going to be a long turnaround time I will probably just void the warranty and do it myself and see how it turns out.  I'll document my WECSOG attempt well if I go that route.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
How expensive is the receiver? Have you priced machinist rates?
View Quote

The receiver is less than $60 so if I ruin it, it's not a big deal.  But it's a hassle I'd prefer to avoid.  

If I didn't obsess about the imperfection, it's fully functional as-is.  But seeing it "off" like that will drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
If the alignment is close, drill the holes oversize to get them inline, then install a larger pin.

All that depends on the misalignment and I recommend a solid set up in a mill.

If welding, then weld only the hole that doesn't match the print, and drill to match the other side.

Avoid oval holes or screwing around with peening, all that will shoot out, plus the pins are likely too hard for your idea.

View Quote

I meant I was considering peening the tube, not the pin.  The pin is supposed to be removable.  Just a close slip fit. The hole on both sides of the tube is misaligned.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics would help your cause.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Find a welder that will close the holes while you wait.  The "firearm" remains in your possession, no FFL needed.

View Quote

This^

As long as you stay with the serialized part, anyone can work on it.

Drop it off or ship it for repair, need an FFL to take possession.

Welding and re-drilling, or going oversized if thats viable seem the best options.

Looking at a peened in piece of metal next to the pin would be just as bothersome as the crooked pin to me.

Really, getting the manufacturer to fix it would be best.
Top Top