User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2022 12:17:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested to learn more.

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Patent language is so funny.

a piston slidably carried by said gas block assembly, said piston movable between a proximal position and a distal position so that gas from said barrel travels through said hole in said barrel to said interior of said gas block assembly and drives said piston from said distal position to said proximal position;
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rigian:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

a piston slidably carried by said gas block assembly, said piston movable between a proximal position and a distal position so that gas from said barrel travels through said hole in said barrel to said interior of said gas block assembly and drives said piston from said distal position to said proximal position;

"The same bang-boom operation system from 100 years ago, 'cept we move the front deal to the back, and flipped on the flop."
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas Piston AR varient?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Meh, looks like an AR and a SCAR's love child.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would we make a new gun with a buffer tube?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:
Why would we make a new gun with a buffer tube?
View Quote

Patent look like an upper designed to go on the M4 lower.  But if they make it a separate gun, who knows what FN will do?
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like the side charging handle far forward on the rifle. Feels more natural.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks interesting. I’ll buy one if they come to market.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
JoshNC sent me a link to the patent report:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/fa/95/6a/db7433a3a8615e/US20170321978A1.pdf

ShotShow may surprise us after all. A SCAR operating system on an AR upper would be great. I guarantee FN will screw it up somehow though and charge us $4k for a new rifle rather than sell us the uppers at a more decent price. The patent drawing also implies it utilizes an AR buffer system, which IMHO defeats the purpose of a good short stroke system like the SCAR.

Regardless, if FN says adding a suppressor will void the warranty when they have an adjustable gas block, I’ll vomit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t get it. Looks like a pretty ordinary piston AR upper.

This is the SCAR, AR love child I want to see come to market.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
$5700
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:01:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#13]

FN America (FNA) Previews the Lightweight Intermediate Caliber Cartridge (LICC) Individual Weapon System (IWS) Developed for the Irregular Warfare Technology Support Directorate (IWTSD)

https://soldiersystems.net/2023/01/16/the-fn-america-fna-previews-the-lightweight-intermediate-caliber-cartridge-licc-individual-weapon-system-iws-developed-for-the-irregular-warfare-technology-support-directorate-iwtsd/
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:
https://i.imgur.com/vocTLiR.jpeg

FN America (FNA) Previews the Lightweight Intermediate Caliber Cartridge (LICC) Individual Weapon System (IWS) Developed for the Irregular Warfare Technology Support Directorate (IWTSD)

https://soldiersystems.net/2023/01/16/the-fn-america-fna-previews-the-lightweight-intermediate-caliber-cartridge-licc-individual-weapon-system-iws-developed-for-the-irregular-warfare-technology-support-directorate-iwtsd/
View Quote

I like this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalyman72] [#15]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52068689245_920ef38092_b.jpg
View Quote

That's not the IWS as seen posted by Coalkoy. The picture you posted is the MRGG - different gun for a different solicitation/customer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dalyman72:

That's not the IWS as seen posted by Coalkoy. The picture you posted is the MRGG - different gun for a different solicitation/customer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dalyman72:
Originally Posted By Mblades:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52068689245_920ef38092_b.jpg

I know. That’s why I said the MRGG is the one I want to see come to market not the IWS.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gohuskers:
$5700
View Quote

Somebody is dreamin' about what an AR pattern rifle is worth to me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

That's a good looking setup. Chances FN will sell it to us average folks?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Making this link hot.

Interesting to see 6.8 SPC get its day. Also interesting to see FN ditch the SCAR’s short stroke system for a long stroke system and use an OSS can
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By themao:

Making this link hot.

Interesting to see 6.8 SPC get its day. Also interesting to see FN ditch the SCAR’s short stroke system for a long stroke system and use an OSS can
View Quote

Are they doing any in 6.8? They kept mentioning 6.5 in the article. Wonder if it's actually just a necked down 6.8 SPC. Also be interesting to see if they do a conventional brass case and what if any performance differences there are.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
So it's a Six8 with a proprietary caliber instead of 6.5G. No spank ewe
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Are they doing any in 6.8? They kept mentioning 6.5 in the article. Wonder if it's actually just a necked down 6.8 SPC. Also be interesting to see if they do a conventional brass case and what if any performance differences there are.
View Quote

I actually meant to say 6.5 Grendel.

0.264 in = 6.7 mm but they are calling this a 6.5x43 mm round, so who knows what the real dimensions are?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/18/shot-show-2023-fn-americas-new-individual-weapon-system/

I am very intrigued by the fact this is a long stroke piston system, effectively ditching the SCAR's short stroke design. I would love to see a break down of this rifle and how it works.

Regardless, this makes far more sense to me than a MCX Spear for general purpose use. I'm disappointed though they couldn't stick to a commercially available caliber like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC for mass use. I'm guess FN didn't want to share royalties with anyone. The magazine is definitely a modified 6.8 SPC magpul magazine, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I want to learn more about that cartridge and it’s ballistics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:46:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:

View All Quotes

Says in the article that it's based on the .264 USA, driven at higher chamber pressure than 6.5 Creedmoor. Though info on the 264 USA is being a bit elusive to my Google-fu.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Its a shortened 6.5 Creedmoor using a lightweight case design, based around a lead free low drag ~108gr projectile.

Goal is a ~15g cartridge, where a loaded 25rd mag is equal to the weight of a loaded 30rd 5.56 mag full of brass case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#26]

EVOLYS with .264

I believe that IWS will be able to use 6.5CM/7.62x51mm
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Its a shortened 6.5 Creedmoor using a lightweight case design, based around a lead free low drag ~108gr projectile.

Goal is a ~15g cartridge, where a loaded 25rd mag is equal to the weight of a loaded 30rd 5.56 mag full of brass case.
View Quote

What do you mean shortened 6.5 Creedmoor? What dimensions does it share with the Creedmoor? If it uses the same case head that would not make much sense to me at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#28]

What do you mean shortened 6.5 Creedmoor? What dimensions does it share with the Creedmoor? If it uses the same case head that would not make much sense to me at all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

It's a 6.5x43mm, 2.50" COL, based on the 6.5C/7.62x51 parent case.

It's shortened so that it will fit a 2.5" COL vs the normal 2.75" COL of 6.5C so that it can be used in an 'AR12' style weapon size thats in-between the AR15 and AR10. This allows for a lighter weapon then a 6.5C/7.62 AR10/SCAR17 sized gun.

Reportedly it can drive a 103gr 6.5 lead free with a 0.225 G7 @ 2875fps from a 14.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for the info. Sounds pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Reading an article it says the 264 USA is based on a lengthened 7.62x39 case. I don’t think this FN cartridge is close to the 264 USA other than being 6.5mm since the 264 USA (according to the article) has a 2.6” COAL which is longer than the allowable length of 6.8 SPC Pmag shown in the FN pics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Reading an article it says the 264 USA is based on a lengthened 7.62x39 case. I don’t think this FN cartridge is close to the 264 USA other than being 6.5mm since the 264 USA (according to the article) has a 2.6” COAL which is longer than the allowable length of 6.8 SPC Pmag shown in the FN pics.
View Quote

Apparently it began with the .264 USA, and achieves similar ballistics. But it went with a slightly wider 7.62 parent case, but shorter COL.

This was to shorten the COL to allow a smaller/lighter weapon, and I assume also to work with existing 7.62 MG links.

Reportedly these Shell Shock stainless steel cases create a lot more bolt thrust than a brass case, as the case is so slick it does not have as much friction in the chamber so it slides more rapidly into the bolt. Thats why the new FN rifle uses a strengthened bolt design.

So it's a promising new lightweight case technology, but apparently it's not suitable for dropping into legacy weapons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Don't really care for the IWS, but I do want the MRGG in 6.5 Creedmoor if they eventually release it to civilians.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Mao want an IWS

Would love to learn more about the cartridge and magazines for it. Seriously though, why the heck did the Army adopt 6.8x51 over a true intermediate cartridge such as FN's proposal, 6.5 Grendal or 6 mm ARC? I don't get it. Might as well outfit the Army with AR-10s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey FN! Eugene Stoner’s ghost is in the parking lot, and says he wants to kick your ass!
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Mao want an IWS

Would love to learn more about the cartridge and magazines for it. Seriously though, why the heck did the Army adopt 6.8x51 over a true intermediate cartridge such as FN's proposal, 6.5 Grendal or 6 mm ARC? I don't get it. Might as well outfit the Army with AR-10s.
View Quote

Agree 100% mao

IMO going 6.5 Grendel made the most sense.  But, Army gonna Army.  I still doubt they'll field the SPEAR to all infantry.  I figure they'll end up sticking with the M4 for most troops and the SPEAR will phase out the SCAR as the main battle rifle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the update. The pics of the adjustable gas block were poor. There is a screw up front though which I find odd. Hopefully the adjustment is similar to that of the SCAR or Sig 55x series.

Funny how the magazine looks like the 6.8 SPC PMAG developed for LWRC. Not shocking honestly, since the mags work quite well for that cartridge.

Would love to see this rifle in 5.56 NATO and 6.5 Grendel. Not sure if the proprietary cartridge they're developing will be available to us or not honestly. People get great performance out of 6.5 Grendel in 12-16" barrels. Imaging this platform in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Well maybe the Army will adopt this cartridge, and we'll get 6.x mm whatever for $400 per 1000 rounds
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the update. The pics of the adjustable gas block were poor. There is a screw up front though which I find odd. Hopefully the adjustment is similar to that of the SCAR or Sig 55x series.

Funny how the magazine looks like the 6.8 SPC PMAG developed for LWRC. Not shocking honestly, since the mags work quite well for that cartridge.

Would love to see this rifle in 5.56 NATO and 6.5 Grendel. Not sure if the proprietary cartridge they're developing will be available to us or not honestly. People get great performance out of 6.5 Grendel in 12-16" barrels. Imaging this platform in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Well maybe the Army will adopt this cartridge, and we'll get 6.x mm whatever for $400 per 1000 rounds
View Quote

I'd love to see a side by side real world test with this next to 6.5 Grendel. I've said for years that there needs to be more adoptions of COTS stuff for a lot of these contracts. I think a lot of it ends up being similar to the large scale plane and vehicle stuff where a lot of money is spent for minor improvements.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#40]
So it’s an Sig Spear without the consumer/end user  beta testers?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: themao] [#41]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
View Quote

Um no, it’s a long stroke piston system that is undergoing military testing with a proprietary cartridge. Let’s hope for an improved SCAR.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Um no, it’s a long stroke piston system that is undergoing military testing with a proprietary cartridge. Let’s hope for an improved SCAR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Plus, the Sig Spear is a full-on battle rifle. This is more of a true intermediate cartridge as I understand it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Weighs 10 pounds.
Costs $6000.
Lifetime warranty but if you attach an optic or iron sights it voids the warranty.
FN perfection.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks heavy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

And hopefully without the bendy POS handguard-receiver interface of the Spear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Looks interesting. I’ll buy one if they come to market.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks cool, hope they don’t cost 4 grand though
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Treyak:
Looks cool, hope they don’t cost 4 grand though
View Quote

You know it will. Maybe even $5k if FN feels gracious.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Looks heavy.
View Quote

Weight to be offset by your empty wallet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Sell them on the structure. You can talk about it with confidence. Keep it simple. A little something like this, John. Hey. Let me walk you through the Donnelly nut spacing and crack system rim-riding rip configuration. Using a field of half-C sprats, and brass-fitted nickel slits, our bracketed caps, and splay-flexed brace columns vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one half meter from the damper crown to the spurve plinths. How? Well, we bolster twelve husk nuts to each girldle-jerry, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers. Then, pin-flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist. A little something like that, Lakeman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top