Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ordered a magazine safety delete bushing and some tubing this evening to start laying out a design.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#2]
I've been doing some reading on tubing sizes. Seems some people are using way thinner tubing than I bought (0.065" wall). So I might have to order some thinner stuff to practice threading for an end cap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Have some free time over the next week, so I'll be able to get some baseline data on a variety of ammo through the factory length 5.5" barrel. My plan is to use the Magnetospeed to collect some velocity data. The intention is to shorten the barrel to get consistent sub-sonic velocities even with bulk pack ammo.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilencerMan] [#4]
I am going down a similar road to this project as well.

I suspect you will have to go very short before the velocity is consistently subsonic with High Velocity ammo.  I also have a question as to which is more accurate and reliable, a very short barrel with no ports or a longer ported barrel?

I currently have an integral MK2 with a ca 2.5" barrel IIRC.  I am going to build a second gun with a ca 4.5" ported barrel to see how it compares.

One thing I don't like about the 2.5" gun is that it is very light on the front end.  The entire suppressor unit is aluminum and the thing feels like a toy with no weight out front.  Even my HDMS feels more like a real pistol because of the steel tube and weighty bronze wire donut stack.

One thing I'm gonna do a bit differently ..... because I can .... is to make the entire suppressor unit on a 3D printer.  This will be a uniized part including the front sight.  It will be located in the correct vertical configuration via a detente pin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Two years. Is this project finished?

I'm waiting on my second form 1 do do something similar/
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#6]
Well well, I guess it's time to blow the cob webs off my old friend.

It's been a wild 7? years since I started the original thread on this project. I'm two weeks away from quitting my day job and running my firearms machine shop full time, so I have a bit more time to dig back into projects like this.

Since I've been threading lots of Ruger MK IV's lately, I seem to have a pile of barrels, Serialized receivers, receiver blanks, etc. I have to think about how I want to conquer this project. (haha you'd think the 7 years that have past would have been enough)

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

It's been a wild 7? years since I started the original thread on this project. I'm two weeks away from quitting my day job and running my firearms machine shop full time, so I have a bit more time to dig back into projects like this.

Since I've been threading lots of Ruger MK IV's lately, I seem to have a pile of barrels, Serialized receivers, receiver blanks, etc. I have to think about how I want to conquer this project. (haha you'd think the 7 years that have past would have been enough)

https://oi43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/Photo%20May%2028%2010%2022%2051%20AM.jpg

View Quote

A welcomed thread bump! Can’t wait to see progress.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
To wait 7yrs and not have the photo load
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#9]
A few pictures comparing the .22 solvent trap kits offered by Quite Bore vs an AAC Element II.

Baffles are pretty similar.

End cap threads are the same TPI, but difference pitch diameter.

One thought I had was to take a MK IV barrel and thread it to act as the rear cap so the tube would thread directly on to the barrel vs the tube to adapter to barrel. That way the tube would sit flush against the receiver for a flush appearance.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By User55645:
To wait 7yrs and not have the photo load
View Quote

looks like photobucket is having some issues. I'll see if I can figure something else out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:31:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#12]
Got my host receiver threaded to accept the barrel.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Photobucket is no longer free to link photos.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
Photobucket is no longer free to link photos.
View Quote
I have a paid account. When I refresh the cache on my computer, they seem to show up fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#15]
@unclemoak
I have 3 laptops, a PC, a tablet, and a smartphone. Not showing up on any of them and they all have the photobucket "fix" installed.

As @BigWaylon said, you can upload them right to Arfcom, since you're a team member.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup.  Nothing here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
photobucket finally got there shit together. Went back and fixed the pictures as best I could.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Where is your firearm machine shop located?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DL1911:

Where is your firearm machine shop located?
View Quote

Was in Oshkosh, Wisconsin is now in Englewood, Colorado.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I finished this thing quite awhile ago.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I finished this thing quite awhile ago.

https://i.imgur.com/jrRVgLJ.jpeg
View Quote

How’s it shoot? Any vids?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top