Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 1 of 6)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/17/2024 5:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer]
Supposedly Holosun is releasing more information tomorrow on this unit. Any predictions on what we will see from them with their new unit?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s speculation only based on some social media posts by their media director named Josh. I couldn’t find anything, and unless you found a link to the product this may just be another “idea” to come from SS
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KC-ROUGHNECK] [#2]
If true, that would be great to have some more VSCEL illuminator options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure we will hear more about this next week.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
NGAR?

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#5]
The PLA IR VCSEL pills are around $25-$50 at full "commercial" rates so I would expect to see a plethora of devices in the next couple of years.  If Holosun put one in a LAM for illumination they will corner the civilian market, particularly if they get the form factor right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
The PLA IR VCSEL pills are around $25-$50 at full "commercial" rates so I would expect to see a plethora of devices in the next couple of years.  If Holosun put one in a LAM for illumination they will corner the civilian market, particularly if they get the form factor right.
View Quote

Absolutely. Holosun actually has a track record of producing things that work well under recoil. Bring it in at a thousand bucks or less, and I'm a buyer. Very pleased with my LS221G, and a good adjustable VCSEL illuminator would make it unstoppable. Bonus points if they keep the form factor that lets you mount a red dot on top.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 42tula:
It’s speculation only based on some social media posts by their media director named Josh. I couldn’t find anything, and unless you found a link to the product this may just be another “idea” to come from SS
View Quote

Yeah Josh at Holosun said more information was going to come out this week about it. I saw some teaser video clips but can't make much out of them.  If they are going to get some hype going before Shot Show next week, we might see some more information in the upcoming days. They gotta get the hype machine spun up heading into Shot Show week so that they get the foot traffic they want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It's on, boys: the Holosun IRIS

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2QMSlNvlsa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

VCSEL IR illum, IR laser, and vis laser. No MSRP yet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If this is at or under $1500 they'll have a real winner and hopefully it would drive down the prices on other lasers on the market.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Curious on the laser output specs. The IG post says 2M but I'm not smart enough to understand that classification.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
Curious on the laser output specs. The IG post says 2M but I'm not smart enough to understand that classification.
View Quote

If it's like the LS221, it'll be civilian-powered. Visible laser won't be daylight visible very far, but the IR laser will go as far as you'd want.

The illuminator is always the question. If it can focus adequately and provide MAWL-level performance, it'll dominate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:
If this is at or under $1500 they'll have a real winner and hopefully it would drive down the prices on other lasers on the market.
View Quote

It won't.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#13]
Originally Posted By erwos:

If it's like the LS221, it'll be civilian-powered. Visible laser won't be daylight visible very far, but the IR laser will go as far as you'd want.

The illuminator is always the question. If it can focus adequately and provide MAWL-level performance, it'll dominate.
View Quote

It's not an edge emitting laser diode.

It's a VCSEL so there's that.

I doubt they're going to put that kind of work into a "New" MFAL just to replicate what they already have.

I'm assuming we will know more next week at SHOT SHOW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#14]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
It's not an edge emitting laser diode.

It's a VCSEL so there's that.

I doubt they're going to put that kind of work into a "New" MFAL just to replicate what they already have.
View Quote

TBH, I wouldn't even care if it were LED if it just worked as well as a D2. But, yeah, I suspect they've done their homework. They've got enough dudes to consult with, and it's not like the requirements here are rocket science.

Wonder if we'll see another MFAL that incorporates a high-candela WL into it, too. Their new rifle light looks solid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of those chips are made overseas anyways … just a matter of time they made their own
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#16]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
View Quote

I just want them to make something simple like a scout head for less than 200. Just screws on a scout body, plain old off/on, 150mW, 5°
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks really good. I'm more confident in Holosun actually getting this product to market than certain other companies.

Slider for illuminator divergence sounds like a great feature.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the Holosun Reps over on Reddit is saying this will be under $1,000. Also Darq Industries has a beam demo on their Instagram story. It looks amazing. If it truly retails at less than $1k it will change the market.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I note the use of a "slider" to control illuminator divergence, I wonder what its IP rating is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By treasurediver:
One of the Holosun Reps over on Reddit is saying this will be under $1,000. Also Darq Industries has a beam demo on their Instagram story. It looks amazing. If it truly retails at less than $1k it will change the market.
View Quote

Looks great! At $1k, nothing can touch it.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/darqindustries/3282726545901444363/
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

IPX8 Certified Waterproof per Holosun
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2QMSlNvlsa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@erwos, thank you for posting that info. Appreciate it.

If that is true on the price and the performance meets the hype, this thing will be what the market has been asking for. Really excited to hear more about the IRIS next week from Shot Show interviews.

Wonder what this will do to the SomoGear/InvisibleSight market? For same price (maybe even less than the InvisibleSight) you can get the IRIS without waiting 9-12 months plus get real customer service support.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Screen caps from Instagram Story:

From this...

Attachment Attached File

To this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Some further info and some tech specs:

"The IRIS (Integrated Rifle Infrared System) is an ultra compact, class IIIr visible green aiming device with a coaxial mounted class 2m IR laser and IR illuminator for use with night vision devices. IRIS features an ergonomic slider to dial in the IR illuminator between flood and spot. A new electronic selector switch toggles between visible, IR pointer, IR illuminator, or IR pointer & illiuminator with LED indicators for current mode. IRIS is powered by a CR123 battery and is activated either from the top-mounted fire button or using the compatible, industry standard remote switch."

"TECH & FEATURES:
- IR Pointer and Illuminator with VCSEL laser
- New Compact Housing Design
- Quick Adjustable Focus IR Illuminator
- Coaxial Laser Mechanism
- Intensity Selector Switch
- Mode Button w/LED Indicator

SPECS:
- IPX8 Certified Waterproof
- Battery: CR123A
- Dimension: 3.2 x 1.97 x 1.34 in
- Weight: 6.35 oz
- 7075 T6 Aluminum Housing
- Travel Range ± 50 MOA
- 0.5 MOA Windage and Elevation Adjustment Per Click

Stay tuned for more Shot Show 2024 Products throughout this week!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm very interested

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

@treasurediver
Who the heck is Darq Industries. I got an email from them the other day, but I threw it out as I never signed up with them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AMERIKINSHIP:

@treasurediver
Who the heck is Darq Industries. I got an email from them the other day, but I threw it out as I never signed up with them.
View Quote

They used to be Goonin Gear and recently changed their name. They seem to be pretty plugged in to the industry but I don’t have any personal experience with them. I’ve gotten all my stuff from TNVC and JRH.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#29]
If they deliver on the current scuttlebutt, this is a new paradigm in performance per dollar spent. And I won't shed one tear for L3 or BE Meyers. They've priced their stuff...generously, and that's being polite. What they charge for an atpial-c is shameful.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Bingo. Game changer. Not even interested in EOTech’s overpriced $3k OGL now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
If they deliver on the current scuttlebutt, this is a new paradigm in performance per dollar spent. And I won't shed one tear for L3 or BE Meyers. They've priced their stuff...generously, and that's being polite. What they charge for an atpial-c is shameful.
View Quote
China is asshoe, but so are 3-4k civilian lasers.

I'll spend a generous premium for made in America (up to double) but 3 to 4x is way past generous.

Im a buyer. Better sell my CQBL before this comes out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

I'll spend a generous premium for made in America (up to double) but 3 to 4x is way past generous.

View Quote
Yep. I'm not inclined to buy stuff from China if there's a practical alternative, but I'm also not going to reward the L3s of the world when they clearly don't give a damn about lowly civilians. They made this bed, what with their obnoxious pricing and general laziness. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm excited, but hope they eventually release an FDE housing
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

It won't.
View All Quotes

It won't.
stated to be at or under 1K.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Is this the Raid Xe at home?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

hopefully it would drive down the prices on other lasers on the market

That was what I was originally quoting. Will we see MAWLs and Raids go down in price? Probably not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#38]
The ACALs been teased for years. If it does come out this year, that's awesome. But it's been vaporware so far.

Guess for $500, it'll come down ergonomics and quality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:45:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#39]
In terms of differences that I can see from Holosun's abbreviated description of the IRIS:
1. ACAL has a VO port, IRIS does not have that capability.
2. ACAL has a physical switch mode selector; the IRIS has some sort of button and an "intensity selector switch".
3. ACAL is a chonker and does not look ambi-friendly; IRIS looks somewhat svelte.
4. ACAL has the lasers inline with the bore; IRIS is offset.

I see where the ACAL has some advantages here; I just don't know that in-line lasers and a better mode selector are worth $500 to me.

That was what I was originally quoting. Will we see MAWLs and Raids go down in price? Probably not.
View Quote

I mean, if the distributors stop being able to sell them because the IRIS is by far the better deal, they'll have to do something. Doubly so if Holosun starts moving up market and offers a $1500 Iris+ that fills in some more blanks (high-candela WL, 18650 support, integrated RMR/Micro mount, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#40]
The bad thing about that, for my application, is with a COTS on an SBR I need to run my laser at 3 o'clock. Really not a fan of the offset setup, but I get for most application it will probably work good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Form factor wise the Holosun is way more appealing also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Loonytik] [#42]
Highly relevant to my current interest.

I just bought into the NVG game and need a real laser/illuminator. I bought the Somogear Peq15 for a Block II clone build but, I don't think I can ever trust it.

ETA: Looks very compact in comparison:

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
If the quality and durability and pricing is anything like Holosun's MRDS it will definitely be the MFAL to beat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Young_Un] [#44]
In terms of differences that I can see from Holosun's abbreviated description of the IRIS:
1. ACAL has a VO port, IRIS does not have that capability.
2. ACAL has a physical switch mode selector; the IRIS has some sort of button and an "intensity selector switch".
3. ACAL is a chonker and does not look ambi-friendly; IRIS looks somewhat svelte.
4. ACAL has the lasers inline with the bore; IRIS is offset.

I see where the ACAL has some advantages here; I just don't know that in-line lasers and a better mode selector are worth $500 to me.

I mean, if the distributors stop being able to sell them because the IRIS is by far the better deal, they'll have to do something. Doubly so if Holosun starts moving up market and offers a $1500 Iris+ that fills in some more blanks (high-candela WL, 18650 support, integrated RMR/Micro mount, etc.).
View Quote

Where are you seeing this? From a top down photo I saw, there's a blue screw visible on the IRIS....looks like a normal physical switch to me unless you've seen different.
Scratch that, found it

ETA:
Also in the third picture on this post, you can see a dual switch for the IRIS and their new 80k candela scout light
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
Highly relevant to my current interest.

I just bought into the NVG game and need a real laser/illuminator. I bought the Somogear Peq15 for a Block II clone build but, I don't think I can ever trust it.

ETA: Looks very compact in comparison:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53473735811_32f3ee7eae_c.jpg
View Quote
Wow. This should make D2 sized lasers more or less obsolete - its not like the Steiner lasers have a stellar track record of durability.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm definitely in for one of these. I have had way better luck with Holosun over Steiner lasers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm highly, highly interested in this and typically I keep my distance from anything Chinese including Holosun.  I'm not a Holosun fan, but this might be the first Holosun product that I purchase depending on reviews.

I expect this to be offered at a very competitive price compared to even the projected ACAL price of $1,500.  

Game changer.  If you're EOTech you've got to be kicking yourself, because they'll probably get beat to the civilian market by ZBolt and ACAL with units that are far below the price of their OGL with similar performance.  

The only questions I have about the new VCSEL offerings are their durability, coalingment (shouldn't be an issue at all with the ZBolt), and ability to maintain zero.  If will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the throw/distance of their IR illuminators and focusing ability as well.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep. I'm not inclined to buy stuff from China if there's a practical alternative, but I'm also not going to reward the L3s of the world when they clearly don't give a damn about lowly civilians. They made this bed, what with their obnoxious pricing and general laziness. It is what it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

I'm right there with both of you. I wouldn't ordinarily buy anything Chinese, but Holosun has a fair reputation and I do feel like we as civilians have just been a complete after thought for the MIL Contractors and the prices on the existing units are obnoxious bordering on insulting.

There is no way that anyone should be paying more for a laser/illuminator than they are for a Gen 3 PVS14, no way.  Now, we might actually get some sanity when it comes to prices.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By zinny103090:
The ACALs been teased for years. If it does come out this year, that's awesome. But it's been vaporware so far.

Guess for $500, it'll come down ergonomics and quality.
View Quote

Yeah, I'll be looking carefully at the reviews of these two units. If they are generally equal than the extra $500 would be worth it for me to have an American made unit, I'd pay that amount for the Made in USA premium but honestly not a penny more.  

I do stil put a premium on U.S. made for anything firearms related, but within reason and although I haven't ever owned anything Holosun I am not blind to the fact that they've developed a fairly good reputation in the USA with their existing products.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Im IN. I would buy right now if I could lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 1 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top