Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2023 1:18:29 PM EDT
Barrett social media has been teasing a new rifle to be release December 1st. In September we finally got a look at it, when Justin Wolf placed second at King of the Two Mile using a prototype chambered in .416.

I have to tell you, I am PUMPED about this. I love my MRAD, and had been eying the AX50 or Desert Tech HTI. I will be ordering one of these and will report back. But with the ability to quickly change barrels, I now have an itch I will have to scratch - the largest, most ridiculous sub-sonic round that this platform could realistically fire. I'm envisioning the 50BMG version of a 300 Blackout, with a BMG shell cut down and flared out to hold a 20mm projectile.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
THis has my interest....  Any idea on price?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Falconpilot1:
THis has my interest....  Any idea on price?
View Quote

I don't have any inside knowledge but just based on the competition from Desert Tech and Accuracy International, I'm guessing around $8k. But this will be the first new product under Australian leadership so who knows.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
6 days to go to find out what this is.. Kinda dissapointed that it was not done earlier.. Coulda used some Black Friday sales to buy some glass for one..
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Is the magwell big enough?
View Quote
It'd be a model specifically for 50BMG/416B. My suspicion is not compatible with other MRAD barrels
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:52:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Debo75] [#6]
It's out. Some interesting decisions here.

They're following the FN model of releasing it in a less-popular caliber to try to force early adopters to buy a caliber conversion. (a la the SCAR 15P). Once they release the 50BMG version I would imagine it would outsell the other calibers 5:1.

It's not the radial QD muzzle brake off the M107, so if you have the Barrett 50 cal suppressor you're out of luck.

I'm surprised the buttstock doesn't fold. I guess the length of the bolt prevents that.

ETS: The Barrett website now has a page on it. $10k MSRP!!!! Holy crackpipe. I would have guessed a street price of $6500. I guess that's out the window.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#7]
The old "donkey dick" brake. Very effective brake. But Holy hell is it ugly. Fired a shit load of 99's with that brake on it. Makes a long shooting day more tolerable.

Damn. $10k MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Barrett has officially jumped the damn shark.

$14k for a 107a1 - ludicrous.

$9k for an 82a1 - asinine.

Now ~$10k for this?

I really want a Barrett, but this is insane. Time to find another 50bmg manufacturer to buy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By akethan:

Will the 107 brake work on it?
View Quote

I don't see why not. Odd that they didn't offer it with the 107A1 brake to allow a Barrett can to be attached.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mnew007:
Barrett has officially jumped the damn shark.

$14k for a 107a1 - ludicrous.

$9k for an 82a1 - asinine.

Now ~$10k for this?

I really want a Barrett, but this is insane. Time to find another 50bmg manufacturer to buy.
View Quote

I think you gotta allow that some of that is due to Bidenflation.  Prices up on everything.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

I think you gotta allow that some of that is due to Bidenflation.  Prices up on everything.
View Quote

The 107a1 is a $6k gun tops, even with diaper in chief….
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I haven't seen new M82A1s under $6900 in about a decade.

Relatively small company + relatively limited production = more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#15]
View Quote

As long as you're not shooting SLAP ammo of unknown provenance (I know that was an RN-50 not a BFG)
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Has it been confirmed they will offer it in 50? I see this "416 Barrett with additional large-caliber options to be available in the future" but no list of those options. I didn't see that little bit when I first read about this thing and just assumed they built it around the 416 Barrett which is a lot shorter than the 50 BMG. If it's focus is ELR I could see them doing the Cheytac Cartridges or Tubb's XC cartridges. I don't think many are shooting the 50 BMG in ELR but I don't know anything about that stuff other than the occasional article I read.

Originally Posted By vellnueve:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

I got one with a Nightforce for that in 2018 I think.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#17]
After seeing some video, the magazine is just able to hold the .416    I do not think they are going to have the 50 bmg as an option as the mag well does not seem big enough...   Crap...   I really wanted a 50/416 combo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The problem with making it 50 compatible is you add quite a bit of length and weight I’d imagine. Maybe if it’s popular they will do one eventually. Depending on how it’s made it might not be that hard to stretch one for 50.

50 certainly has a bigger following but in my experience most 50 shooters are just shooting for fun and not in competition type settings. There’s probably 10 Barrett 99’s/Armalite AR50’s/Etc sold for every one Tac 50 or AI 50. Most people would rather have the semi auto if they are approaching $10,000.

I hope they build them all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Already have the M82a1....   I wanted one in .50bmg so I might start doing a wildcat on the .50 case.   Got some ideas and want to play with it.. I could always single feed but for that I would go with something else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]
[b]

I have to tell you, I am PUMPED about this. I love my MRAD, and had been eying the AX50 or Desert Tech HTI. I will be ordering one of these and will report back. But with the ability to quickly change barrels, I now have an itch I will have to scratch - the largest, most ridiculous sub-sonic round that this platform could realistically fire. I'm envisioning the 50BMG version of a 300 Blackout, with a BMG shell cut down and flared out to hold a 20mm projectile.
View Quote

Bob Bigando has a cool anzio bolt gun that he made a 25mm barrel for. It uses 20mm vulcan cases with 25mm bushmaster projectiles. But he is still shooting supersonic.

You're idea reminds me of the old 50whisper rounds that looked like really short and stubby 50bmg rounds. Subsonic from a bolt gun was super quiet
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

Bob Bigando has a cool anzio bolt gun that he made a 25mm barrel for. It uses 20mm vulcan cases with 25mm bushmaster projectiles. But he is still shooting supersonic.

You're idea reminds me of the old 50whisper rounds that looked like really short and stubby 50bmg rounds. Subsonic from a bolt gun was super quiet
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
[b]

I don't think anyone makes it anymore but 50 Spotter Tracer would probably fit in a gun chambered for 416 Barrett. I keep hoping for a commercial 50 cal Blackout so we might get some available components and ammo that don't require a bunch of work and custom guns or barrels. That's why I hope the 8.6 Blackout is succesful so they keep going up in size.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the guys that noted the magazine size were right: there's no way you're putting an inch longer 50BMG in one of these mags.

I suppose if anyone knows the demand for 50BMG these days, it's Barrett. I wonder if the Single Feed Adapter  will bridge the gap for 50BMG purposes?

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
I think the guys that noted the magazine size were right: there's no way you're putting an inch longer 50BMG in one of these mags.

https://store.barrett.net/images/product/large/18897.jpg

I suppose if anyone knows the demand for 50BMG these days, it's Barrett. I wonder if the Single Feed Adapter  will bridge the gap for 50BMG purposes?

View Quote

For what purpose? 50bmg has nothing to do with these guns. They already make a single shot bolt action. Probably couldn’t even eject a live round of BMG out of the MRAD. There’s no reason they can’t do a 50 variant later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSector1] [#24]
I'm only seeing the .416 model on dealer sites. I think at that price range you would be better off with a CADEX. The are some sites offer the CADEX Tremor, with LEO/Mil discounts, in the $8.6k range. For mag fed rifles, there are still some Zastava Black Arrows on the market as well and they ring in at the $7k range. Bushmaster BA-50s, $5k range.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036235273

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037084144

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037345550
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BravoSector1:
I'm only seeing the .416 model on dealer sites. I think at that price range you would be better off with a CADEX. The are some sites offer the CADEX Tremor, with LEO/Mil discounts, in the $8.6k range. For mag fed rifles, there are still some Zastava Black Arrows on the market as well and they ring in at the $7k range. Bushmaster BA-50s, $5k range.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036235273

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037084144

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037345550
View Quote

What's the weight on the Cadex? Barrett never said it would be available in 50. That's a whole different class of gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Debo75] [#26]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What's the weight on the Cadex? Barrett never said it would be available in 50. That's a whole different class of gun.
View All Quotes

416 Barrett vs. 50BMG? I disagree. From the Wikipedia article on the 416 Barrett:
The cartridge was designed as an improvement to the .50 BMG cartridge, a common machine gun and rifle cartridge. It is a wildcatted .50 BMG case, shortened to 3.27 inches (83 mm) from its original length of 3.91 inches (99 mm) and necked down to accept a .416 caliber, 398-grain (25.8 g) projectile; however, the case dimensions are proprietary. Because the two cartridges, the .50 BMG and .416 Barrett, have identical base dimensions, all that is needed to convert a rifle to use one or the other cartridge is a relatively quick barrel swap.

I don't know why they didn't build this action long enough to fit a 50BMG but it seems like a missed opportunity.

For what purpose? 50bmg has nothing to do with these guns. They already make a single shot bolt action. Probably couldn’t even eject a live round of BMG out of the MRAD. There’s no reason they can’t do a 50 variant later.

Sure, the M99 is technically a bolt action 50, but it's not known for it's accuracy or ease of barrel swaps. The barrel is pressed in hydraulically at the factory. The MRAD is a tack driver and was designed for easy caliber/barrel swaps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I wasn't talking about the performance I was talking about the size and weight of the gun. One of the main reasons people don't use 50's more is because of how big and heavy they are. This rifle was built for ELR shooting and almost none of those guys are using 50's so there has to be a reason for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand why it's so surprising that people in the 50 Cal forum wanted Barrett's new bigger, modular rifle to support 50 Cal. Barrett is entering a space already dominated by other mature brands and left their 50 BMG customers behind. Sure, the M90/M95/M99 could scratch that itch if you want a rifle that looks like it was clapped out when it dropped 30+ years ago. Now that the dust has settled on the release of the ELR, a buzz has dropped to zero, it seems like we're the only people who want the damn thing, anyways  All that said, this probably isn't even a product brought to market for consumers. There is no way the two days between Barrett's MRAD ELR release and the SOCOM ELR notice was a coincidence.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I would argue that there probably isn't much crossover between the 50 customers and the ELR shooters. Most of the 50 shooters that I know including myself shoot ball ammo as cheap as they can find it. I know there are some that shoot long range and competitions but I think they are a tiny group. High end precision guns and long range shooting seems to still be pretty popular.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I would argue that there probably isn't much crossover between the 50 customers and the ELR shooters. Most of the 50 shooters that I know including myself shoot ball ammo as cheap as they can find it. I know there are some that shoot long range and competitions but I think they are a tiny group. High end precision guns and long range shooting seems to still be pretty popular.
View Quote

That sums up my fifty shooting, but availability of longer ranges to shoot at also plays a part.  My local range is 200yds, any farther will require an hour drive at least.  Closest 1000yd is over four hours away with limited open schedule.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bbqncigars:

That sums up my fifty shooting, but availability of longer ranges to shoot at also plays a part.  My local range is 200yds, any farther will require an hour drive at least.  Closest 1000yd is over four hours away with limited open schedule.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bbqncigars:

We've got tons of wide open here so that's the problem for me. A lot of it is just that it's more work to shoot at long range unless you are just shooting at rocks or steel that stays out there.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top