Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/6/2023 2:33:56 PM EDT
Looking to get my first real pellet rifle. Something I can take small game with and plink. Will be in 22 cal.

Any of yall have both?

Pros cons?

The HW50S looks to have less plastic on it over the 48.

And a PCP is on the list just not now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave] [#1]
I have an RWS 48 and a Beeman R1 (HW80).  The Rexford trigger on the HW rifles is a bit better than that on the RWS rifles.

Were I in your shoes, I'd choose the HW50S.  

Note:  German air rifles in .22 tend to have larger bores than English guns. Fortunately, H&N makes pellets in numerous head sizes, and you can often order then in the size you need for your gun.   The head of the pellet should just ride on the lands without much engraving.  This is before any choke at the muzzle.  Pellets that are too loose will not shoot as accurate, though chokes do help in this regard.  Also, pellets whose heads are engraved deeply and perhaps ride in the grooves get too distorted to shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a 48 in 22cal.
Hard hitting but accuracy was not great. Tried multiple scopes with the factory RWS mount.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Both are are great choices. The 48 I think will be the roughest on optics but generate a more consistent velocity. I didn’t vote knowing what I know now I would get a regulated PCP. But mastering a spring gun is an art. I think the Spring powered air rifle is a better hunting option. I have not shot the HW50S but my buddy that has one loves it. I didn’t like my RWS 48 and traded it for an RWS 34. They seem to kinder on optics.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
.25 cal master race. Can’t help.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
.25 cal master race. Can’t help.
View Quote

That is on my list just not yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Both are are great choices. The 48 I think will be the roughest on optics but generate a more consistent velocity. I didn’t vote knowing what I know now I would get a regulated PCP. But mastering a spring gun is an art. I think the Spring powered air rifle is a better hunting option. I have not shot the HW50S but my buddy that has one loves it. I didn’t like my RWS 48 and traded it for an RWS 34. They seem to kinder on optics.
View Quote

As someone new to air guns why is the 48 harder on scopes than the 50S?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a big fan of Weihrauch air rifles so the 50s gets my vote. Are you looking at the "Hunter" edition from AoA?

For me personally the debate would be between the HW50S Hunter edition vs the HW95L Field Pro edition? Overall I like the 95 better but for a true hunting rifle, the 50s is probably better suited with its lower weight, sling mounts and moderator. The 95 has a little more power but that may not matter depending one what your hunting and at what distance?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
I'm a big fan of Weihrauch air rifles so the 50s gets my vote. Are you looking at the "Hunter" edition from AoA?

For me personally the debate would be between the HW50S Hunter edition vs the HW95L Field Pro edition? Overall I like the 95 better but for a true hunting rifle, the 50s is probably better suited with its lower weight, sling mounts and moderator. The 95 has a little more power but that may not matter depending one what your hunting and at what distance?
View Quote

Didnt know these 2 were available.

HW95L
HW50S

I had just seen the standard HW50s.

What make of scopes are on these guns? Something I will have to turn around and replace?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

As someone new to air guns why is the 48 harder on scopes than the 50S?
View Quote

I understand it has a larger spring.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Current Weihrauch is better by a significant margin over RWS IMO. I would get the HW50 if hunting/carrying around. The HW50 will be more pleasant to carry in the field, more akin to a modern rimfire. The HW95 is a great spring gun but will feel a bit large if carrying much. I also would stick with .177 instead of .22 unless mainly hunting rabbit sized game. Trajectory difference(range estimation) is significant between the two calibers but terminal performance is not. Making an accurate shot in the field is easier with the .177. All said and done, these are pellet guns and shot placement is key. And yes, I have both brands and calibers, used to keep vermin out of some 15 fruit trees and 2 gardens.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've previously owned a Diana 48 in .22. Great gun but the weight and bulkiness were a drawback,especially when my grandsons were shooting it. Got a HW50 in .177 a few years ago. Relatively easy to cock and with a scope its a laser. Wish I had gotten one earlier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#12]
I encourage you to look at the Beeman R9/Weihruach HW95. In my opinion, this is about the perfect balance of weight, power, cocking force, firing behavior.

The 48 is simply too big and stout for extended shooting comfort. The modern HW50 packs too much power into too small of a package so you get increased cocking effort and harsh behavior. (The previous 1960-'80s version of the HW50 was a pussycat, however).

With spring guns, it's a mistake to chase power. You should be looking at firing behavior, smoothness, etc. You've got to find a balance of power, size, weight and cocking effort. You don't get that when you try to push the limits.

As for caliber, I prefer .177 and that would be my choice in either the HW50 or HW95. For the 48, I would stick to .22 though. You'll need the heavier pellets to calm the gun down.

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Having a Beeman R7 in .177 and an RWS 48 in .177... the Beeman is "easier" to be accurate with but decidedly less potent of course. I have read numerous times how much more rewarding it is to have an accurate, easy shooting pellet gun in the 12 ft/lb range or less. Although I will not get rid of my RWS48, my R7 gets shot much more frequently. It is only a 6-7ft/lb gun but ...it is so choice, if you have the means I recommend it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top