Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2023 12:51:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz]
FN doesn't list it on their website yet but it's showing up on a bunch of retailer's sites now.  It's basically a 17S chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (16.25" barrel) and comes with the SSR stock, Geissele Super SCAR trigger, 10rd mag, and what looks like a Surefire flash hider.

I added one to my cart on Dahlonega Armory's website just to see the price and it was $3,640.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat

I wonder if those PSA Sabres are going to come in 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#2]
$3640 doesn't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
FN doesn't list it on their website yet but it's showing up on a bunch of retailer's sites now.  It's basically a 17S chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (16.25" barrel) and comes with the SSR stock, Geissele Super SCAR trigger, 10rd mag, and what looks like a Surefire flash hider.

I added one to my cart on Dahlonega Armory's website just to see the price and it was $3,640.

https://external-preview.redd.it/rifle-new-release-fn-scar-17s-dmr-6-5cr-paratrooper-fals-in-v0-ZvCKHg13QIcrPNVEDZ7iC6O7b-LP7j_IUuHrbjaC8iw.jpg?auto=webp&s=cd7a53a01c201cbf85737883022c1052ea0c9322
View Quote

That's the FN 3 prong flash hider
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool. I’d ditch the stock for an Ugg boot though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
Neat

View Quote

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-sabre-10-forged-20-6-5-creedmoor-rifle-with-12-5-quad-rail-a1-stock-magpul-bi-pod-3-mags-and-sabre-bag-fde.html

Not in stock today, but was in stock earlier this week.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

That's the FN 3 prong flash hider
View Quote

Ahh.  It looks exactly like the Surefire Eliminator.  Figured maybe FN was using it since they use PWS for the brake on the standard 17S, and Surefire for the brake on the 20S.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice, I’d get one in FDE if they make them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This is pretty cool.  Nice to see more 16" Creedmoor options.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HKocher:
Nice, I’d get one in FDE if they make them.
View Quote

They are making them in black and FDE

Here is an FDE one on Gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1004581953
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
FN: releases something nobody asked for....
what I don't get is the SCAR 10" barrel is a thing for MIL/LE and  only barrel assembly.. why not just get rid of the stock and rebrand that for the civilian market? They did it at SCAR 15P (7.5" 5.56mm lol)
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
Neat

View Quote

They already do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Would be nice if FN says “mea culpa” and develops this platform to what it should have been 10+ years ago.

Imaging the SCAR with an AK mag lower, or one that takes 6.5 Grendel, etc etc. Give us barrels with shoulders for suppressed use and more suppressor settings. Install a damn rubber buffer or improved rear recoil system on it.

At least they’re trying, I have to admit. Not sure why I would buy this model over the Mk20 variant or just an AR-10 though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Has FN fixed the firing pin diameter wrt popped primers on the 6.5cm SCAR?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By themao:
Would be nice if FN says “mea culpa” and develops this platform to what it should have been 10+ years ago.

Imaging the SCAR with an AK mag lower, or one that takes 6.5 Grendel, etc etc. Give us barrels with shoulders for suppressed use and more suppressor settings. Install a damn rubber buffer or improved rear recoil system on it.

At least they’re trying, I have to admit. Not sure why I would buy this model over the Mk20 variant or just an AR-10 though.
View Quote

Over a MK20…it’s a lot lighter. Over something like a large frame AR….I wouldn’t even bother. My MWS was the endgame in a long search for the perfect battle rifle / precision gas gun very many years and firearms (to include the SCAR). It may not be as sexy but it sure is capable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Great job FN. A 1:8” 6.5 barrel for the 17S about 10 years after it should’ve come out. Still no barrel availability for the 20S and they are sitting on their hands with the 300blk 15P.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#17]
It's fun to still use the ECP muzzle device.
When do they sell QD suppressor? (I don't expect it at all)
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Has FN fixed the firing pin diameter wrt popped primers on the 6.5cm SCAR?
View Quote

FN released a revised bolt and firing pin that appears to have resolved the issue.

MGW. Info at link.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Why would anyone buy a 20S now?

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheSadPatriot:

View Quote

Carry each rifle 10 miles for time with 100 rounds of ammo and you’ll see “why”.

I dislike the 20, the 15P, and don’t get this 17S derivative either.

The 20 is the 20, the 15P should have been 10” or 7.5” in 300 Blk and this newest version an 18” 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

More rail space, hypothetically better accuracy from the 6 bolt vs 4 bolt trunnion, little more velocity from the 20” barrel. That’s about all I can think of.

I’ll most likely ditch my 20 and get one of these. I’ve wanted to lighten it up by cutting down and reprofiling the barrel similar to what FN sells internationally as the SCAR-PR but I think this is an easier solution. It doesn’t seem like FN is going to make any more stand alone barrel assemblies for the 20, so my hope of having a couple different barrels(short 7.62, 20” 6.5 and original SSR profile 7.62) is dead. I’ll get the 16” 6.5 and then pick up a 7.62 in 16” and cut it down so its 16” overall with a pinned brake and call it a day. Maybe a 13” if I decide to SBR it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

More rail space
6 screw extension vs 4 screw extension
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#23]
@Zeebz ... you had that gun practically in .308 ... my old SCAR 20 cut to 16"

I wouldn't touch a 6.5CR SCAR with a 10 foot pole unless FN has revamped it ... they blow primers ...

This configuration is stupid ...
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
@Zeebz ... you had that gun practically in .308 ... my old SCAR 20 cut to 16"

I wouldn't touch a 6.5CR SCAR with a 10 foot pole unless FN has revamped it ... they blow primers ...

This configuration is stupid ...
View Quote

It’s been addressed.

Swap to an ugg boot and this configuration is the best SCAR yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

It’s been addressed.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/41/SCAR-Bolt-Update.jpg

Swap to an ugg boot and this configuration is the best SCAR yet.
View Quote

Yup.  I have a newer 17S NRCH and it has the HP marking on the bolt, and ribbed tail on the firing pin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#26]
As much as I hate how FN does business I really like the SCAR platform and think a 16” in 6.5 Creedmoor is about the best DMR option out there. So I’ve talked myself into getting one of these but if I’m going to get a 17 I’d much prefer an original Belgian. New plan is to get both, swap the barrels and BCGs then sell the US gun with the 7.62 barrel and RCH bcg. Seems like a pain in the ass but I have no faith 6.5 barrels will be available on their own any time soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Are they selling 16in 6.5cr barrels and bolts for those who want to convert a older recipricating charging handle scar17 to 6.5cr?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#28]
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:
Are they selling 16in 6.5cr barrels and bolts for those who want to convert a older recipricating charging handle scar17 to 6.5cr?
View Quote

Bolts and firing pins are available now and will set you back about $300. If SCAR 20 barrels are any indication, supply will be scarce and the price will be high. Probably $1500+ for the barrel assembly. At close to $2000 for me it isn’t worth it, buying a whole new gun makes more sense.

If I buy one of the DMRs swap the barrel and bolt then sell off the SSR stock separately it will probably be close to a wash, out a couple hundred dollars at worst.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
View Quote

Message me when you do so we can work out a trade I want that stock so bad but FN want 800+ and retailers are 700+ for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Message me when you do so we can work out a trade I want that stock so bad but FN want 800+ and retailers are 700+ for it.
View Quote

I go back and forth all the time on whether or not I want to put an SSR stock on my 17S.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Do you want a black or FDE one?
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Per FN it's a limited release.

https://fnamerica.com/press-releases/fn-releases-limited-production-of-scar-17s-dmr-in-6-5-creedmoor/

There are a bunch on Gunbroker, and they don't seem to be selling very well. I blew my gun budget for the year so I'm hoping I can still snag one in January.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Black because my SCAR is "black" mine is more multicolor as the receiver is a dark navy blue must have been the mix they used that day when they anodized my receiver.  If I came across a FDE one I would just paint it black

I go back and forth all the time on whether or not I want to put an SSR stock on my 17S.

I have wanted one since I saw the stocks on the MK20 and when FNH announced they were releasing the 20s I was hopeful they would release the stock as a separate part.  Then I saw the cost and lost interest because of the steep price tag for a stock.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Honest question here!.. What's the appeal of a 17 DMR over a 20 when everyone is just going to bolt extension rails to the front, anyways? Is it a lighter barrel? The gas bock BUIS?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
Honest question here!.. What's the appeal of a 17 DMR over a 20 when everyone is just going to bolt extension rails to the front, anyways? Is it a lighter barrel? The gas bock BUIS?
View Quote

Honestly like you said probably because of the lighter barrel profile, and because you get the 6.5 which is a more capable round ballistically than 308 in a light battle rifle package.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Honestly like you said probably because of the lighter barrel profile, and because you get the 6.5 which is a more capable round ballistically than 308 in a light battle rifle package.
View Quote
So the 20S comes in both 308 and 6.5 as a precision optimized platform with a 20" heavy barrel. My missing piece is the SCAR 17S was only ever a 308 gun. The new "DMR" is basically the 6.5 flavor of the 17S with two factory accessories considering the 6.5 audience. So typical 17S things - lighter and shorter than a 20S - but the DMR moniker is really only to differentiate the SKU against one with the standard stock and trigger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
What kind of barrel life does a 6.5CM CHF barrel achieve?
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluxIntegral] [#38]
How in the world are there no reviews on this gun yet? Like the village idiot, I bought one regardless! Just a short clip of MAC not happy with accuracy...
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FluxIntegral:
How in the world are there no reviews on this gun yet? Like the village idiot, I bought one regardless! Just a short clip of MAC not happy with accuracy...
View Quote

The possibility a turd slips out from any maker is possible but the likelihood of that considering how many really accurate SCARs exist I would not worry.  I was truly blown away how good my 308 SCAR was when I got it and after I put a G trigger in it.  It is probably capable of better than I can shoot but I do fairly well.  The best part is how good it is compared to the guys I shoot with and their precision rifles.  One is a LaRue tOBR, a OBR, and another is a LWRC RERP and my SCAR shoots on par or better than their rifles and the even better part is they may have one load that does extremely well or slightly better than the SCAR but my SCAR shoots really well with almost everything I feed it from varying weights, bullets, and brands.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
What kind of barrel life does a 6.5CM CHF barrel achieve?
View Quote

I wonder the same as well.  You figure a standard unlined, non-CHF 308 barrel lasts probably 7-10k rounds.  FN says the CHF, CL barrels on the SCAR 17S are rated at 30k rounds of full auto fire.  So that's roughly 3x the life of a standard barrel, and for us civilians our SCARs aren't full auto so the barrel life is likely even greater.

Going on that number I'd wager the 6.5 barrel on the DMR probably goes about 9k rounds before needing to be replaced since the standard barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor is around 3k rounds.  But that's just a guess based on the 308 numbers, hard to say for sure as I am not aware of any testing being done on barrel life for a CHF, CL 6.5 gun since not many manufacturers even make those.  The only other 6.5 gas gun I know of with a CHF, CL barrel is the Daniel Defense DDM5.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#41]

I wonder the same as well.  You figure a standard unlined, non-CHF 308 barrel lasts probably 7-10k rounds.  FN says the CHF, CL barrels on the SCAR 17S are rated at 30k rounds of full auto fire.  So that's roughly 3x the life of a standard barrel, and for us civilians our SCARs aren't full auto so the barrel life is likely even greater.

Going on that number I'd wager the 6.5 barrel on the DMR probably goes about 9k rounds before needing to be replaced since the standard barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor is around 3k rounds.  But that's just a guess based on the 308 numbers, hard to say for sure as I am not aware of any testing being done on barrel life for a CHF, CL 6.5 gun since not many manufacturers even make those.  The only other 6.5 gas gun I know of with a CHF, CL barrel is the Daniel Defense DDM5.
View Quote

I just do not know so I am not going to speculate but you could be right or way off base and maybe they only still last 2-4K.  I am interested to know what the answer is and I would imagine a CHF CL .308 barrel is going to last more than I can feed to it in my life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alderleet] [#42]
I'd wager the 6.5 barrel on the DMR probably goes about 9k rounds before needing to be replaced since the standard barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor is around 3k rounds.
View Quote

Thats overly optimistic. I have 3x 6.5 tomato stakes in my garden right now. Two accuracy international barrels and one ruger barrel.
The AI barrels had enough throat erosion after 2 years a piece of constant load workup and matches, that they would struggle keeping in the .6”. Last barrel clocked a hair over 3400 before retirement.
The ruger barrel was a gen1 RPR with a CHF/Nitrided barrel, and it didnt hit its stride until the mid 400’s and kept it up until nearly the 4,000rd mark where it struggled and started shooting .75 and higher groups.

So yeah, I sincerely doubt 9k rds. I’m shooting bolt guns reasonably hard, but never really getting them sweltering and they still die from throat erosion with 6.5creedmoor. Maybe somehow chrome will let it go another 2k rds, but I doubt much more than that, especially from heat buildup from a semi enabling worse erosion.

Then again, this is a scar were talking about, so anything under 2” is seen as “good”.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Does FN sell the parts to convert this to a 308 if needed?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#44]
You would just need a barrel and bolt. Both can be found. Both cost way too much money...
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Just get a 308 barrel. The new bolt & firing pin combo will work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Yep this is correct.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:57:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluxIntegral] [#47]

The possibility a turd slips out from any maker is possible but the likelihood of that considering how many really accurate SCARs exist I would not worry.  I was truly blown away how good my 308 SCAR was when I got it and after I put a G trigger in it.  It is probably capable of better than I can shoot but I do fairly well.  The best part is how good it is compared to the guys I shoot with and their precision rifles.  One is a LaRue tOBR, a OBR, and another is a LWRC RERP and my SCAR shoots on par or better than their rifles and the even better part is they may have one load that does extremely well or slightly better than the SCAR but my SCAR shoots really well with almost everything I feed it from varying weights, bullets, and brands.
View Quote

Just to follow up on this, I'm not having much better luck than MAC with my 6.5. My 7.62 is a solid MOA gun with 168gr FGMM. This 6.5, I've not gotten better than 1.5 MOA. Most groups hover around 2 MOA, pretty disappointing...
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Just to follow up on this, I'm not having much better luck than MAC with my 6.5. My 7.62 is a solid MOA gun with 168gr FGMM. This 6.5, I've not gotten better than 1.5 MOA. Most groups hover around 2 MOA, pretty disappointing...
View All Quotes

Do you have the 20 or 17?
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

17S.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#50]

17S.
View All Quotes

17S.

Huh. I wonder if the lighter profile barrel has something to do with it, the 20 in both calibers is a good shooter.

I just bought a 17 because I wanted to be able to get one of the 6.5 barrels at some point.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top