Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2024 9:46:04 PM EDT
I want to start shooting sporting clays. My budget is about $1000.  I don't plan to be a serious shooter, probably 500 rounds per year or less.

I'd prefer an O/U and I've looked at CZ's. I'm considering the CZ drake or the CZ Redhead Premier in 12ga. Are these good choices? The drake has extractors and the redhead premier is a little more money and includes ejectors. I don't reload. Is it worth paying extra for ejectors? All my empties will be going in the trash.

I'm sure someone will suggest getting something better quality used. I rarely see anything used, much less something worth buying. At most shops, used seems to be only $200 cheaper than brand new and that is usually something that has clearly been used/abused extremely hard.

I appreciate any advice.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at them also . I haven't heard anything bad about them and they have a decent price .
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If it’s strictly a trap gun you won’t need ejectors as you’ll catch your empties and put them in a pouch to dump in the trash after the round. That is unless you prefer to dump them on the ground after each shot and pick them up later, which is not recommended.
I shoot with a guy that has a CZ trap and it looks pretty good to me. The high dollar guys will tell you it’s crap but it will do 500 a year for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the Stevens 555 E, I shot a course today with a buddies triple nickel and scored 77. Lightweight and points well and is under 1,000 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I know a guy that has been shooting a CZ O/U for quite a few years and I don't believe he has had any issues with it.  He uses it weekly from May-Sept and has had it for at least 10yrs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 20 ga CZ Drake when I started shooting clays in 2021. I have 6,200 rounds through it.

The lockup is still tight, the black coating is still in great shape except one wear spot where my index finger rests, and the gun has never had a single failure to fire.

The Drake has extractors, not ejectors. The rib is flat. The butt pad is VERY thin, cheap plastic. It offers nearly zero recoil absorption. The LOP is 14.5”, which is a bit too long for me. I could not justify the price of cutting the stock and installing a Kick Eez or Pachmayr pad.

This is personal opinion and gun fit, but I do not like the drop of the stock

I put the 6,200 round through the gun in just under two years. For a new shooter who wants to experiment with an over/under, it’s a reasonable choice. If you love the sport, you’ll upgrade in a year or two.

I paid $650 for mine (new) and think it was well worth the price to figure out that clay shooting is my favorite hobby I’ve discovered in my adult life.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Whatever gun you decide on, go to a gunsmith who knows how to fit a shotgun to you. If you call and he doesn't know what you're talking about, hang up and call another.

Then start shooting..

Or, if you don't believe me, go shoot a round, have it fitted and shoot the same round again.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Ran one for four or five years.  Great gun for the money.  Mine was completely reliable, held up well, I shot well with it.  Probably should have kept it but I needed to pay for the Franchi I upgraded to.

I wouldn't hesitate to look at another one if I was in the market.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#8]
No.  CZ is still having issues with metallurgy and barrel regulation issues.  If you go Turkish, Yildiz is making an outstanding product for right around 1k.

Personally I’d just save up and buy a Browning, Beretta, Fabarm, or a Rizzini.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top