Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
All,

For our 30th Anniversary my wife just bought me a Barrett M82A1 50BMG 20" FDE.   I am stoked as I have wanted one for decades.  Unless persuaded otherwise, I am going to put a Leupold Mark 4 LR Tactical M1 scope on it.  I want a quick disconnect one-piece mount, again, unless persuaded otherwise.  I am looking at the Spuhr 30mm Quick Detachable Rifle Scope Mount in 34 or maybe 38mm height, but I need some confirmation that the combination of that scope, that mount and the 82A1 are right.  Can anyone offer confirmation?  Suggest a better setup while sticking with that scope?  I have read some combinations do not allow one to mount the handle, so any comments related to that would be welcome.  

I am not really a long-range guy.  We live on 75 acres, I have coveted a Barrett 50BMG for years and my bride is very attuned to what I want.   I will shoot steel and pigs and just have fun with this thing.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Much thanks,

Phillip
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Badger Ordnance has nice rings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had to use quick detachable rings on a .50
I have an 82A1 and an M95. Both have Barrett height adjustable rings from years ago. They have never failed to hold zero with my 2 Tasco Super Sniper scopes tight.
I've never had a reason to use quick detachables.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Your scope choice is adequate but you should use the one piece Spuhr mount. You don't want a detachable on a 50BMG you want a solid mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Spuhr mount for a Nightforce 5 - 25 ATACR on mine.  No complaints on my end, it's built like a brick shit house.  I would second avoiding a QD mount, however.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiteryno] [#5]
No need for a removable mount just use a nice one piece mount.
I've been happy with a spuhr mount Spuhr SP-4007: 34mm Picatinny Mount 0 MOA - 1.5" and a razor g2 4.5x27

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,

I find it fascinating that everyone is saying to not use a quick detachable one piece.  The link I provided was to a Spuhr, I am also looking at this LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount, LT111 and wonder why everyone says to not use a quick detachable mount?  The pictures in the replies show the rear BUIS folded down and without a quick detachable scope mount that is unusable.  Please feel free to educate me on that, but what I really wanted and have yet to know is what height?  I gave two numbers and nobody has yet told me how high their rings are (34mm versus 38mm).  That is what I specifically need to know.

Thanks,

Phillip
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
astrocreep96,

What make and model is the case your rifle is pictured laying on?

Thanks,

Phillip
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SkyKing69:
Guys,

I find it fascinating that everyone is saying to not use a quick detachable one piece.  
View Quote
Perhaps it will be more clear with the snot dripping out of your nose after the muzzle brake concussion of a few rounds?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a quick release scope mount as the pelican case doesn't accommodate the larger scope I run. It's an ADM unit, and I've had no issues with it holding zero.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
I have a Spuhr mount for a Nightforce 5 - 25 ATACR on mine.  No complaints on my end, it's built like a brick shit house.  I would second avoiding a QD mount, however.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1658362703193-3102043.jpg

View Quote

That case looks perfect size-wise.

What is it?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffman_LT1,

Yes, thanks.  I prefer to remove scopes before transporting and I prefer to not size the transport carrier to accommodate items that can be removed.  But, I am here to learn.  I am still concerned about scope height due to bore axis considerations, making sure the scope does not contact the gun, etc.  I still hope someone will directly address that part of my post.

Phillip
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#12]
Buffman_LT1,

Yes, thanks.  I prefer to remove scopes before transporting and I prefer to not size the transport carrier to accommodate items that can be removed.  But, I am here to learn.  I am still concerned about scope height due to bore axis considerations, making sure the scope does not contact the gun, etc.  I still hope someone will directly address that part of my post.

Phillip
View Quote

Why do you prefer to do that? It's not common practice at all which is why most are asking about you choice. Most people don't ever use their iron sites on 82's, I never have. QD's have their uses for sure but there's a reason that people don't remove and remount their scopes or most serious guns unless they need to. Modern QD stuff is pretty good so maybe a lot of the old concerns aren't warranted but you are still adding variables into the mix which is why I am guessing you don't see them as often on precision guns.

Spuhr makes good stuff. As far as the height you can contact Spuhr to try and figure it out or Mile High Shooting which is their main US dealer/distributor. If you have the scope and gun in hand there are a couple good methods to measure height. You can look up the stacked pennies or deck of cards scope mounting method to see it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Why remove the scope? Transport the rifle in the original Pelican case.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:39:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buffman_LT1] [#14]
Buffman_LT1,

Phillip
View Quote

The mount I'm running is 1.6" high with 30mm rings, and a Viper  5-25x50, and there's plenty of clearance:
scopedistance by Buffman RANGE, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Badger rings on mine
Went 1.3" on a 50mm and its a bit low for my tastes, would for sure do 1.5 if doing it again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
All,

I wrote to LaRue and asked about one of their mounts and got this in reply:

"The 30mm vs. 34mm options are the tube size of the scope, not a height adjustment. The LT111 sits at 1.535" to maintain alignment with clip on thermal and NV devices. We actually do make a mount specifically for Barrett's and the Army contract that coincided. I will drop the link below.
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-50-bmg-qd-lt107/  The LT107 has a centerline height of 1.45" and has three levers as opposed to our normal two."

From the listing "Designed to withstand the heaviest recoil - Our LT107 QD scope mount was designed by request for the U.S. Army M107 Military Long Range Sniper Rifle LRSR.50 Cal. We built-in 30 minutes of slope to get the most out of the scope's "come-ups". Folks ask "why three levers?", our answer is "because it's a .50 BMG and just looked like it needed three"." and "We've gotten Great reports coming back from the field...it appears the U.S. Army M107 Military Long Range Sniper Rifle LRSR.50 Cal can't shake this mount apart. When going into urban environments, the guys are swapping the long-range scopes off for CompM2's & CompM4's...this mount works well for continuous on/off type of stuff."

Available with: 34mm, 35mm, 30mm or 1" rings."

Lots of very positive reviews.  Our "go to" carbines are LaRue factory SBR's in 5.56 and they are solid builds.  I think I will give one of these a try.  Thanks for the feedback.

Phillip
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s a pretty cool looking mount, even considering the $450 price. I don’t have a QD mount on mine but now kinda wish I did so I could swap the thermal on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Starting with 57 MOA of slope can sometimes lead to trouble sighting in up close.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Starting with 57 MOA of slope can sometimes lead to trouble sighting in up close.
View Quote

Especially with the Barrett rail have 20 MOA of slope already there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#20]
Double
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

That was with the 27moa Barrett rail included. 30 on the mount.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going against the grain here.
When you buy a m82a1 eventually you will want to shoot long range. I am entering some competitions this year at 3000 yards. That being said I recommend this one.

Ivey scope mount
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By starjammir:
I'm going against the grain here.
When you buy a m82a1 eventually you will want to shoot long range. I am entering some competitions this year at 3000 yards. That being said I recommend this one.

Ivey scope mount
View Quote

Those aren't QD
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skullbox] [#24]
I'm running a Larue LT104 with a Vortex Razor HD (Gen1) 5-20x50.  I used this mount/scope combo on an LWRC REPR previously and just moved it over the M82A1 when I got it.  I've shot around 200 rds and it holds a zero just fine.  The main reason I chose QD is so I can fit the guns in the safe...  Much easier when the optics are not attached.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#25]
astrocreep96,

What make and model is the case your rifle is pictured laying on?

Thanks,

Phillip
View Quote

I think its an Eberlestock, I'd have to check to make sure.
Voodoo tactical also makes a good one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

I think its an Eberlestock, I'd have to check to make sure.
Voodoo tactical also makes a good one.
View Quote

Please do.  That's a perfect length, and not in the "ELR Drag Bag" range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiteryno] [#27]
Another option for a bag is this.  It fits the rifle with scope and a mag inserted. The large outer pocket holds 2 additional mags.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-xtreme-long-range-rifle-case
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Gthirteen:

Please do.  That's a perfect length, and not in the "ELR Drag Bag" range.
View Quote

It is the Eberlestock Sniper Sled Drag Bag (and my M82 is a 20", if not already obvious).
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys,

I find it fascinating that everyone is saying to not use a quick detachable one piece.  The link I provided was to a Spuhr, I am also looking at this LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount, LT111 and wonder why everyone says to not use a quick detachable mount?  The pictures in the replies show the rear BUIS folded down and without a quick detachable scope mount that is unusable.  Please feel free to educate me on that, but what I really wanted and have yet to know is what height?  I gave two numbers and nobody has yet told me how high their rings are (34mm versus 38mm).  That is what I specifically need to know.

Thanks,

Phillip
View Quote
I run an LT111 on my M82A1 with a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x50 and have taken it out to over 1100 yards.  I like the scope and I like the mount.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSector1] [#30]
ADM Delta QD mounts, designed for the FN SCAR series of rifles due to their reciprocating mass, are heavily built for a QD mount. Nightforce also offer very nice one piece, to include triple recoil lug/attachment, mounts as well. A lot of optic options. Check out Europtic sales/demo section for any/all optic deals to include demo Nightforce NXS or NX8 optics.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top