Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 8:47:12 AM EDT
Anyone have one? Looking for feedback. Seems to take more abuse than a lot of the kevlar and IIIA rated helmets. Comtac and NVG mounts are mandatory.

https://www.ade.pt/product/novasteel-helmet-high-cut/
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Didn't see weight in link.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
Didn't see weight in link.
View Quote

2.85 lbs

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NAM:

2.85 lbs

View Quote

Comparable to composite helmet?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#5]
Originally Posted By alacop:

Comparable to composite helmet?
View Quote

"The Adept NovaSteel helmet (L/XL) weighs in at 2.85 lbs., including a head retention system. This compares favorably to most composite helmets. For comparison’s sake, the current issue DOD Enhanced Combat Helmet weighs 3.3 lbs. The NovaSteel is VPAM 3 rated. The VPAM armor scale is European and reflects the initial market for the NovaSteel helmet."
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting, but there's a couple of things here that throw up red flags for me.

First is VPAM 3. This just tests a slightly spicy 9x19, roughly equivalent to the round used in IIA/HG1, but without the .357Mag. Seems like a step down from the IIIA we commonly see for aramid helmets.

They list the 80gr SCS shot at "carbine velocities", but don't actually list the velocity range, unlike what they do for 5.7x28 or 7.62x25. Curious. Not a major deal but concerning considering the consistency of numbers they released before.

This line: "With The NovaSteel™ Helmet, you can forget about replacing your helmet every five years." This is a common lie perpetuated by several steel manufacturers, particularly those of questionable ethics and quality. This is the biggest one to me.
Echoed here as well: "The functional lifespans of composite helmets are unknown, and for this reason they are typically sold with short warranty periods." Also bullshit, the aramid is sealed and good for just as long as steel as long as you aren't handling your gear like a retarded monkey.

They don't release ballistics testing data, stating that BFD is "minimal". Concerning as BFD on helmets is killer. They do list blunt impact protection, which is good, since there's lots of disreputable helmet manufacturers that don't or lie about it, so I'll give them points for that.

"As the steel helmet is not capable of significant deformation upon impact, thick pads are not required" -- part of the requirement of pads is to protect against BFD, sure, but the primary goal is to stop impact damage. The pads prevent the helmet itself from slamming into your noggin. Also concerning.

Nothing outright that slams them as a scam or hawker of shit armor, but there's enough here that I'd be cautious on. A lot of very wild claims made in the sales page.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
This video isn't from the mfg, but no clue if they had any role in the testing:

Diamond Age NeoSteel Helmet Vs 9mm
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
vs .357:

NovaSteel Helmet Endurance Test vs. .357 Magnum
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
First video
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
First video

I had to open it since I couldn't read the embedded text. I want you to note there's two completely different test results in there. Helmet weights are *significantly* different -- 3.14lbs vs 2.67lbs. Almost half a pound difference. Shouldn't be that much of a weight variance from helmet to helmet, and if there is...
They also go after the bullshit "longer shelf life" claim.

Second video

This is a straight up advertisement. They're shooting at it without chrono'ing, without measuring anything except if the bullet goes through or not. Literally no different than any Youtuber who shoots a plate in their backyard, says it's great, and offers you a link with a coupon code so they can earn a commission. Despite it having absolutely zero credible use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Somebody get one to Mrgunsandgear, he shoots stuff on camera
View Quote

Or to @BuffmanLT1
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

This is a straight up advertisement. They're shooting at it without chrono'ing, without measuring anything except if the bullet goes through or not. Literally no different than any Youtuber who shoots a plate in their backyard, says it's great, and offers you a link with a coupon code so they can earn a commission. Despite it having absolutely zero credible use.
View Quote

No argument from me; it's simply one of the first videos I found with .357 used. FWIW, it notes the ammo type being used (Privi 158gr iirc), but I absolutely agree that it's anecdotal at best.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#14]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

Helmet weights are *significantly* different -- 3.14lbs vs 2.67lbs. Almost half a pound difference. Shouldn't be that much of a weight variance from helmet to helmet, and if there is...
View Quote

The test results show that 3.14lbs is the L/XL, the 2.67lbs is the M size. I have to guess that the other vendor that quoted 2.67lbs for the L/XL mixed up the weights.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The test results show that 3.14lbs is the L/XL, the 2.67lbs is the M size. I have to guess that the other vendor that quoted 2.67lbs for the L/XL mixed up the weights.
View Quote

Good catch. Strange why they'd use two different sizes for two different tests. But that's understandable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:
I have a couple I am trying out. Once I have enough time in with them I'll likely put a video up.
View Quote

Definitely interested to hear your opinion. :-)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TNC:

Yes! he has the spicy stuff
View Quote
I've asked them (Adept) a couple times to test the helmet..  They are almost at the life of their mold on Gen 1, and will be re-tooling for a Gen 2. They stated they would send some when that happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top