Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2023 2:57:42 PM EDT
Hi guys,
 Im currently in the market for a scope for my Ruger guide gun in 30-06. Price range about $750. I need it to have an Illuminated reticle. Like Leupolds Firedot.
Iv looked at the Leupold VX-3HD which is $699.
But I'm starting to look at the Trijicon hunting scopes to.
Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Credo I got on some blowout sale last year.  It is decent glass for what I paid, not that I even recall that a year later. Eyebox is ok, knobs ok, illum is good.  

I have a Leupold whatever 6HD but no 3HD.  The six is cleaner glass than the Credo.  I do like the Leopold better but the Trijicon was cheaper.   I didn’t pay full price on the Leupold either, it was a closeout somewhere, Natchez, Midway, i forget.

I am old enough to buy better glass as my eyes are sucking more and more, partial cataract in my dominant eye.  My ten to 20 year old Nikon 1” tubes cannot compare to the 30mm tubes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Leupold, I LOVE mine and will never buy a non illuminated scope again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Leupold. I LOVE mine too. For just a few dollars more you could step up to the VX-5HD 3-15x44 .
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few Trijicons and a few Leupolds.  No VX3's or Credos though.

Trijicons - I like the feel of the turrets, mag ring, and other controls on all three of these scopes.  They all seem very well built
Accupoint 3-9x40 - Mine has the green triangle post reticle, which i really like for shorter range hunting applications.  The glass is pretty decent and bright, but it's an older design and starting to show its age.  Mine is about 10 years old but the tritium is still bright enough.  Probably the lightest illuminated option available.  Within your budget with room to spare.
Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 - This one is a newer design.  Optically it's quite a bit nicer than the 3-9 to my eyes.  Mine has the mil-dot reticle.  The only thing I don't like about it is that there's a little permanently attached nubbin on the magnification ring that will not clear the bolt with either low or medium rings on two different 90 degree bolt guns.  It lives on a rifle with a lower bolt lift for this reason.  I have not tried it on a Ruger, so not sure if it will clear.  I paid $840 for mine, so a little bit of budget stretching here.
TenMile 3-18x44 - Optically similar to the 2.5-12.5 Accupoint.  Doesn't have the obnoxious permanent nubbin.  I really like this scope, but the reticle is a little hard to see at lower magnification without the illumination on.  Kind of par for the course with most FFP scopes it seems.  This one is about double your budget and FFP, so probably not what you're looking for.

Leupolds - Most of mine are discontinued, but could probably be found used.  IMO, the best things about the Leupolds in general are that they're usually fairly lightweight and that you can get the Alumina scope caps for them.
VX5-HD 3-15x44 - Optically a little better than the Trijicons.  Lighter weight than most comparable options.  The alumina caps (not included, I added them) are awesome.  The turrets are a little mushy and the mag ring is a little stiff.  I would prefer a dial for illumination control instead of the button.  That said, I'll probably buy a 2-10 version to replace the 3-9 Accupoint eventually.  Firedot models are usually $1200, but a few places have them on sale for $1000 now.  They make illuminated and non-illuminated versions in various reticles.
VX-R 2-7x33 - This one is discontinued, not sure about used prices.  Optically it doesn't quite match a VX3, but it's not bad at all.  It's in a market niche that really doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately, namely low-ish cost, lightweight, low magnification, illuminated, non-LPVO scopes.  Mine lives on a .375.  To be honest, I haven't touched the turrets in years, so I don't remember how they feel.  Mag ring isn't quite as stiff as the VX5, but it's been used more too.  As with the VX5, I'd prefer a knob for illumination control.  
The other Leupolds (vari-x 3 3.5-10 and VX-R Scout) really aren't what you're looking for and are both discontinued, so no further comment needed on those.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I ended up going with the Leupold scope. I was not a fan of the reticle on the Trijicons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top