Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2024 10:44:47 PM EDT
Without going into to much detail- I live a few miles from the state line. I'm 2&1/2 hours minimum and several mountain passes from any FFL's in my home state. For approximately 5 months, +/-, of the year the only way to those FFL's is an approximately 1&1/2 hour snowmobile ride and an hour car ride (if I can get a car-don't usually leave one over there). Or I can take a roughly 4&1/2 hour car ride around over multiple mountain passes.

Long guns I can get in the nearby state (both are firearms friendly). Handguns are the issue. I know for duty weapons, signed off by the chief, I can get in the neighboring state or have shipped directly to my agency. I'm not looking for duty handguns though. Are there any other exemptions that would allow getting non duty carry handguns/revolvers in the neighboring state? Or am I stuck with long drives or waiting for spring?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No exemptions really, unless you establish residency in that other state.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
No exemptions really, unless you establish residency in that other state.
View Quote

NICS check ended the exemption you seek.

As crazy as it sounds, there is a legal way to ship a machine gun to your home, but not a handgun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I was shocked years ago when I found out duty guns could go straight from the mfg to my agency address. Then I was floored again a couple years ago when I found out cans could come straight to my house. I was hoping there was an exemption out there that allowed for special circumstances so I could pick up a couple revolvers I've been looking for. Guess I'll have to wait till spring. Hopefully I don't come across any good deals before then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:58:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ctfish15] [#4]
Maybe find some FFL willing to hold long term for you. Like a kitchen table guy who knows you'll need several months storage. Not sure if a bigger shop would deny such a request, but I could see a smaller FFL being more accommodating for a fee.

That would at least let you snag your wishlist items and hold them. Of course, he'd be irritated if you changed your mind before pickup ;)

Also, continue to search FFLs. Maybe someone more local will get one in the future. Maybe you can convince the local general store to get one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DutyRanger:
Without going into to much detail- I live a few miles from the state line. I'm 2&1/2 hours minimum and several mountain passes from any FFL's in my home state. For approximately 5 months, +/-, of the year the only way to those FFL's is an approximately 1&1/2 hour snowmobile ride and an hour car ride (if I can get a car-don't usually leave one over there). Or I can take a roughly 4&1/2 hour car ride around over multiple mountain passes.
View Quote

Sounds like a business opportunity to flip transfers on the weekends.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, maybe. Unfortunately I have zero time or space. And I already interact with .gov enough. I don't want to interact with .gov/atf in my spare time too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Poly 80 is your friend, from .22 to .45 ACP, & 10x25mm Norma.

No 80% revolvers yet that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#8]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Maybe find some FFL willing to hold long term for you. Like a kitchen table guy who knows you'll need several months storage. Not sure if a bigger shop would deny such a request, but I could see a smaller FFL being more accommodating for a fee.

That would at least let you snag your wishlist items and hold them. Of course, he'd be irritated if you changed your mind before pickup ;)

Also, continue to search FFLs. Maybe someone more local will get one in the future. Maybe you can convince the local general store to get one.
View Quote
This, or see if any FFLs in your state will ship to you by utilizing the non-over-the-counter transfer procedure. This requires that you hold a concealed handgun permit to bypass NICS.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/ruling/atf-proc-2020-1-–-recordkeeping-procedure-non-over-counter-firearm
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
This, or see if any FFLs in your state will ship to you by utilizing the non-over-the-counter transfer procedure. This requires that you hold a concealed handgun permit to bypass NICS.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/ruling/atf-proc-2020-1-–-recordkeeping-procedure-non-over-counter-firearm
View Quote

This might be what I was looking for. Thank you. I'll have to dig into this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DutyRanger:

This might be what I was looking for. Thank you. I'll have to dig into this.
View Quote

I guess if they refuse, they refuse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top