Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 11:13:41 PM EDT
Because of a soon yo happen move, I need to install a 16” barrel onto my PS90.

Anyone know where I can get a 16” barrel?

I see FN specialties has them listed but out of stock for their replacement.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a swap would be a good option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
idk, i couldnt find a 10.3 in stock when i sbr'd mine so i had the 16" cut down. good luck
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy another ps90, leave your SBR as it is and store it in a free state until you leave whatever antigun state you’re about to move to.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Buy another ps90, leave your SBR as it is and store it in a free state until you leave whatever antigun state you’re about to move to.
View Quote

It’s not a permanent move, it will be 3-4 months off and on for the foreseeable future. Don’t want to buy a second as I don’t want to be leave it stored when I am not there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:  Buy another ps90, leave your SBR as it is and store it in a free state until you leave whatever antigun state you’re about to move to.
View Quote

Why spend that much money when it's just a barrel swap, and it ceases identifying as an SBR as soon as the 16" barrel is installed?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Is a used one an option?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 27Katana:
It's not a permanent move, it will be 3-4 months off and on for the foreseeable future. Don't want to buy a second as I don't want to be leave it stored when I am not there.
View Quote
If you don't want to shoot it while you're in the non-permissive state, you could simply remove the stock and store it separately. It's not a SBR without a stock.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
No one sells 16" barrels anymore, at least new. They will be take offs.  You should be able to locate a take off for about 200-300 sometimes with a good re-usable shroud.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
If you don't want to shoot it while you're in the non-permissive state, you could simply remove the stock and store it separately. It's not a SBR without a stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 27Katana:  It's not a permanent move, it will be 3-4 months off and on for the foreseeable future. Don't want to buy a second as I don't want to be leave it stored when I am not there.

It's not an AR.  I don't know exactly how the PS90 comes apart, but the stock is integral w/ the entire bullpup firearm outer shell.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
It's not an AR.  I don't know exactly how the PS90 comes apart, but the stock is integral w/ the entire bullpup firearm outer shell.
View Quote
Right. You just hit the takedown button and pull the barreled receiver and stock/shell apart.
It can't shoot without the stock (unlike an AR).
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 27Katana:

It’s not a permanent move, it will be 3-4 months off and on for the foreseeable future. Don’t want to buy a second as I don’t want to be leave it stored when I am not there.
View Quote

If it’s 3-4 months I would just store it somewhere. That is not enough time to make your plan worthwhile. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Why spend that much money when it's just a barrel swap, and it ceases identifying as an SBR as soon as the 16" barrel is installed?
View Quote

Because it’s not that simple. It will require a factory flash hider that is blind pinned. Just store it in a permissive state or if he must have a PS90 with him, buy a second gun.

The cost of buying a 16” barrel, factory flash hider, having the barrel swapped, then swap it back when he returns to a permissive state will likely end up being around $500, possibly more. It’s a foolish project.

Just bring an AR and handgun on this 3-4 month sojourn.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Who cut down your OEM barrel?

My go to guys here in AZ say the OEM barrel is too thin to properly cut down.

Even though my PS90 is already SBRed, I thought about cutting the OEM barrel down just to turn it into something useful.
View Quote

i honestly cant remember, ill try looking through my pms
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Because it’s not that simple. It will require a factory flash hider that is blind pinned. Just store it in a permissive state or if he must have a PS90 with him, buy a second gun.

The cost of buying a 16” barrel, factory flash hider, having the barrel swapped, then swap it back when he returns to a permissive state will likely end up being around $500, possibly more. It’s a foolish project.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:    Why spend that much money when it's just a barrel swap, and it ceases identifying as an SBR as soon as the 16" barrel is installed?

Won't a takeoff barrel come w/ the pinned flash hider?

He can't swap the barrel himself?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

i think the issue is when you take off the factory pinned fh off you have to drill the blind pin hole and iirc the gaytf considers that an sbr
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
There's a 16" barrel and then there's a shroud for it, which has an integral flash hider on the front end. Sometimes people destroy the shroud (or damage it significantly) when removing it.

It's the pin & weld job that's challenging (assuming he has the correct wrenches).

Removing it again can be challenging too.
If he knows exactly where the weld penetration is (like on a factory barrel) then it's easy enough to only remove material there.

Just depends on what he's able to take on himself.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
i think the issue is when you take off the factory pinned fh off you have to drill the blind pin hole and iirc the gaytf considers that an sbr
View Quote
I seem to recall that if the flash hider / shroud assembly is not permanently attached to the barrel then it won't meet the minimum overall length requirement for Title I rifles. (Since muzzle devices only count toward OAL when permanently attached.)

But someone feel free to correct me if that's incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I am still confused.  What I'm getting from the recent conversation:

1) PS90 barrels are not removable from the receiver w/o a gunsmith;

2) PS90 takeoff barrels don't come w/ the flashhider already permanently attached, which was the condition they were removed from the gun in.

Neither of these statements make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#22]
View All Quotes
There's a great YouTube video
here at 1:50

How to: Remove PS90 Barrel Shroud in 2 minutes without stripping threads!

where a guy shows you how to remove the blind pin using just a power drill with minimum damage to the shroud.

2) PS90 takeoff barrels don't come w/ the flashhider already permanently attached, which was the condition they were removed from the gun in.

The flash hider is always attached to the shroud. I think that's what you're not understanding. It's literally the front of the shroud.

The shroud additionally acts like the "barrel nut" for the front of the receiver. The barrel screws into the shroud and is then permanently pinned inside of it.

Here is another video:
How to remove a barrel shroud from a factory PS90 receiver. #howto
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#23]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b8cYjLLJw
where a guy shows you how to remove the blind pin using just a power drill with the minimum damage to the shroud.

The flash hider is always attached to the shroud. I think that's what you're not understanding. It's literally the front of the shroud.

The shroud additionally acts like the "barrel nut" for the front of the receiver. The barrel screws into the shroud and is then permanently pinned inside of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  1) PS90 barrels are not removable from the receiver w/o a gunsmith;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b8cYjLLJw
where a guy shows you how to remove the blind pin using just a power drill with the minimum damage to the shroud.

If I'm understanding you correctly, in order to remove the barrel from the PS90 receiver, you have to drill out a weld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KeHK_e9xY

Dear God, that is anti-consumer design at its finest.  

ETA:  And people give HiPoint shit!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#24]
If I'm understanding you correctly, in order to remove the barrel from the PS90 receiver, you have to drill out a weld?
View Quote
I'm not certain if the attachment method it ships with from the FN factory is "a weld" but they've got some of the steel that makes up the barrel shroud protruding into that pin hole in the barrel, underneath that exact spot on the shroud, and that's what you've got to remove in order to tap that pin out.
EDIT: It is simply a blind hole with a pin pressed into it. The opposite side just has the wall of the barrel shroud over it and looks indistinguishable from the rest of the shroud's exterior.

That's the noticeable tiny spot on a factory shroud (as seen in those 2 videos). However FN did that was approved by ATF.
EDIT: The noticeable spot is where the pin was pressed in. The blind pin (without welding) apparently was the ATF-approved method. The hole where the pin was inserted is the only exterior clue on the barrel shroud.

When normal people re-attach a 16" barrel shroud, they'll probably have to weld (if they want to return to permanent attachment in meeting the 26" OAL requirement).

Edited for correction. It's been about 15 years since I've removed one of these.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not certain if the attachment method it ships with from the FN factory is "a weld" but they've got some of the steel that makes up the barrel shroud protruding into that pin hole in the barrel, underneath that exact spot on the shroud, and that's what you've got to remove in order to tap that pin out.

That's the noticeable tiny spot on a factory shroud (as seen in those 2 videos). However FN did that was approved by ATF.

When normal people re-attach a 16" barrel shroud, they'll probably have to weld.
View All Quotes

When normal people re-attach a 16" barrel shroud, they'll probably have to weld.

I've been 5.7 "curious" for some time, even built my own AR 5.7 Lyndon, but never realized the PS90 was that bad to get apart.

I thought the P90 barrel reciprocated a bit with the bolt?  Not in the PS90?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#26]
View Quote
They're both supposed to have the same amount of play in them.

In both models, the barrel doesn't move relative to the "nut" that holds it. (The "nut" being the barrel shroud on the PS90, and the "nut" of the P90 being the flash suppressor). It's a threaded assembly with the receiver sandwiched in between. If you grasp either model's barrel assembly, they'll both move relative to the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Dear God, that is anti-consumer design at its finest.  

ETA:  And people give HiPoint shit!  
View Quote
It's only done to satisfy ATF's length requirements.

FN basically had to wait for the AWB to sunset before even attempting to offer a semi-auto version in the US. I think they did the best they could. It's still relatively simple to SBR one and end up with something that looks and handles exactly like a P90.

Really this is the fault of the US government and their stupid NFA/GCA laws.

At least FN noted the location on the shroud for you to attack it with tools.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#28]

In both models, the barrel doesn't move relative to the "nut" that holds it. (The "nut" being the barrel shroud on the PS90, and the "nut" of the P90 being the flash suppressor). It's a threaded assembly with the receiver sandwiched in between. If you grasp either model's barrel assembly, they'll both move relative to the receiver.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I thought the P90 barrel reciprocated a bit with the bolt?  Not in the PS90?

Thanks for the explanation.  Had no idea OP's problem was so complex.

Can the PS90 fire with the shell removed?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
@seantx
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Can the PS90 fire with the shell removed?
View Quote
Which shell? The barrel shroud?
I mean yeah, technically it can, at least once lol, but that's a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]
You will need more than the barrel.  IIRC from when I SBR'd mine, you also need the shroud and pin.  The barrel threads into the shroud which also has the flash hider.  I drilled a hole to knock the pin out, so jt kept everything intact in case I need to return to 16" like the OP.  It was a relatively simple procedure with just hand tools.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#32]
There is PS90 thread on Reddit that is relatively active - you may have luck asking there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Can the PS90 fire with the shell removed?

This video was a good introduction to how it field strips, a couple of features I didn't know about, and a reminder that it's fully ambidextrous:

FN PS90 Features & Disassembly!

You suggested earlier that OP just break his SBR down into component features, and then it's not an SBR - I don't know that ATF views that the same way you do, as the only way for OP to assemble his current parts is as an SBR.  When you said remove the stock, what I didn't understand is the stock is the entire chassis of the gun, and without the chassis, the remaining parts are just gun parts.

If I ever do get back into 5.7, I might have to get one of these for my Sinister.

It would seem the whole P/W flash hider silliness could be avoided w/ an 18" barrel, which would give even better ballistics to a marginal round.

It also looks as if it would be fairly easy to 3-D print a chassis with alternate ergos and features, as well as mill a wooden chassis.

Is there an aftermarket metal FCG, &/or improved triggers?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hater:
@seantx
View Quote

An angle grinder killed my factory barrel when the 10.3 went on.

If this is a temporary thing and you don't plan on using it, I can send you the stub of a barrel I have. If you can get someone to weld on a ghetto shroud you will be legal.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#37]
@27Katana

Check the EE forums, I see barrels/shrouds listed in there every few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I’ll keep an eye on the EE
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I know but what are TROS’ delivery times?
View Quote

Mine was like a week
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#41]

I've been 5.7 "curious" for some time, even built my own AR 5.7 Lyndon, but never realized the PS90 was that bad to get apart.

View Quote

It’s super easy to get a PS90 barrel off to have it cut down to an SBR. A hacksaw does the job just fine and then you send it to someone who can finish it at the proper length.

The reverse operation is the difficult part.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top