Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2024 12:21:53 AM EDT
I submitted a paper form 4 individual back in July of last year.  I have called  once every 3-4 weeks for the last 3 months to check status and was told this week that it is in a delayed status. I asked what I could do to help and the atf guy said that a lot of the 2023 forms were delayed at the moment and its not unusual at all but that I could call fbi nics to try and get something moving. My question is does anyone know how long it usually takes after a delay to get approved?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Same boat as you, July paper from 4 in delay for the last two weeks. What sucks is it's a resubmit of a 2021 form 4 that the ATF messed up back in 1984. Also blows that the guy has now gone dark after two years of waiting. Don't know if he's alive or not anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Email NICS.

Info about who you can contact here
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Email NICS.

Info about who you can contact here
View Quote

Thank you. I emailed the incorrectly spelled nicsliaison address. We will see if that does anything.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slap_shot] [#4]
Originally Posted By millertime23:
Same boat as you, July paper from 4 in delay for the last two weeks. What sucks is it's a resubmit of a 2021 form 4 that the ATF messed up back in 1984. Also blows that the guy has now gone dark after two years of waiting. Don't know if he's alive or not anymore.
View Quote

Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear your guy has gone quiet.  Hopefully he is semi local and you can make a trip there to check in?

Mine has been sitting in the dealers safe for 9 months.

The dealer suggested that I do an e form 4.  At the time i was told that approvals were around 200 days for paper and 180 days for e forms. I am old school and actually want the stamp.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By slap_shot:

Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear your guy has gone quiet.  Hopefully he is semi local and you can make a trip there to check in?

Mine has been sitting in the dealers safe for 9 months.

The dealer suggested that I do an e form 4.  At the time i was told that approvals were around 200 days for paper and 180 days for e forms. I am old school and actually want the stamp.
View Quote

He's down in Florida and was a well known MG manufacturer back in the 80s. I'm heading down next week for other business but plan on stopping by. It's an individual to Curio and relic transfer so eform wasn't an option. Coupled that with the ATF saying the gun wasn't on the registry despite providing the original form 4 makes for a real long wait..... It's a DD and have a feeling it's been sitting outside this entire time. Bought it for parts and I'm at the point I don't even want it anymore. Best of luck with nics, I've emailed a few times and haven't received a response.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Nics liaison email address did get back to me. Basically no real info but here is what they said:  

Your ATF/NFA application is in process. When an application is completed, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will provide the final determination. Currently, there is no further status information available.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Nics liaison email address did get back to me. Basically no real info but here is what they said:  

Your ATF/NFA application is in process. When an application is completed, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will provide the final determination. Currently, there is no further status information available.

View Quote

Thats the exact same response I got from them after weeks of silence. Figured I pissed them off by emailing them every week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

That's a boilerplate message they sent to errrrryone who emailed them.
I'm going to continue to pester them multiple times a day.
They've proven they can get through the process almost immediately. There is no valid reason why an instant "proceed" is not the rule.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I submitted a paper form 4 individual back in July of last year.  I have called  once every 3-4 weeks for the last 3 months to check status and was told this week that it is in a delayed status. I asked what I could do to help and the atf guy said that a lot of the 2023 forms were delayed at the moment and its not unusual at all but that I could call fbi nics to try and get something moving. My question is does anyone know how long it usually takes after a delay to get approved?
View Quote
What number/who do we call for info on this stuff?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slap_shot] [#10]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:
View Quote

I just call the regular ATF number. Have your form 4 info with you when you call. 3046164500

If you are asking what number to call for FBI / NICS i have no idea......
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#11]

I just call the regular ATF number. Have your form 4 info with you when you call. 3046164500

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:

I've called 7 times now, at all hours of the day, wait times varying from 10-40 mins. Zero response. Left 3 messages with my info in the general voice-mail, zero response.

Several emails to ipb, no response.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

The same response I got last week for my eForm 4 submitted on 29 Dec 23.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

I've called 7 times now, at all hours of the day, wait times varying from 10-40 mins. Zero response. Left 3 messages with my info in the general voice-mail, zero response.

View Quote

Call at 7 am EST when they open. You will get someone in about 30 seconds, regardless of whether the voice prompt says it's over a 5 minute wait.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Call at 7 am EST when they open. You will get someone in about 30 seconds, regardless of whether the voice prompt says it's over a 5 minute wait.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Tried that the first 4 times, no joy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I should have mentioned that when I call I just put it on speaker phone and set the phone down and continue working.  I get to listen to the awesome hold music and in about 20 -30 minutes or so someone will pick it up.  They don't even charge me for listening to music for half an hour!  Can you believe it?!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#16]

View Quote

Emailed NICS liason Tuesday, received the same response today.

10 minutes after my approval email. Finally.

ETA: Not a paper submission,  e-file form 4.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
If you call NFA West Virginia on a Friday afternoon and are on hold, ATF does not disconnect you when they close up shop at 5pm. I held until 6:20pm Eastern time listening to music and the voice that comes on regularly offering you to press 1 and leave a message.

I finally hung up and called the number back and got the we are closed phone greeting. I never received a call back on Monday from my press 1 message left on Friday. I did call on Tuesday and spoke to a contractor to verify multiple Forms were received and in pending status. You are limited to five per phone call.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TW56:
If you call NFA West Virginia on a Friday afternoon and are on hold, ATF does not disconnect you when they close up shop at 5pm. I held until 6:20pm Eastern time listening to music and the voice that comes on regularly offering you to press 1 and leave a message.

I finally hung up and called the number back and got the we are closed phone greeting. I never received a call back on Monday from my press 1 message left on Friday. I did call on Tuesday and spoke to a contractor to verify multiple Forms were received and in pending status. You are limited to five per phone call.
View Quote

I've left 2 messages in the general box (press 1 option) after repeated attempts at reaching a human, never a response.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Just called, about a 30 second wait. Trick is to call right at 7 AM EST and wait on the phone regardless of the "greater than 5 minute wait" message. Still delayed NTN...... I have an eform submitted back in January. I figured when that gets approved I'll know the background check has gone through on the paper one too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Just called, about a 30 second wait. Trick is to call right at 7 AM EST and wait on the phone regardless of the "greater than 5 minute wait" message.
View Quote

Your success has exceeded mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top